Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-15-2016, 07:58 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My pending 200mm range lens comparison, LBA confession, and questions

Hello all,

I have a few thoughts and questions about the 200mm range lenses I currently have in my possession. I have four, three AF zooms and a manual prime I intend to test with the hope I will cut that number in half.

In the last few months I have acquired some new (old) equipment in my desire to upgrade a little from my K100D with the original kit DA 18-55 and 50-200 lenses. I also felt it was time to test out which of my old film era lenses I would keep or sell. Of course, in the testing I got all interested in photography again and have acquired more equipment than I need. I blame it all on this forum. :-)

It started with a K200D I found locally for $100 CDN essentially brand new with a lower shutter count. Shooting some action with the K200D and my DA 50-200mm I was not happy with the auto-focus speed, did some reading here on the site, and when I came across a SF1 film camera package that included F 50 1.7, F 70-210 and a M 100 F4 Macro lenses for the total price of $200 CDN I could not turn it down.

I have been happy with the F 70-210, then recently when using it for some airplane shooting, I thought it might be nice to have a little more reach. Did some reading on the forum (I need to stop this, and stop looking at used Pentax equipment ads) then found a FA 100-300mm F4.7-5.8 for $80 CDN.

This has got to stop. I intend to do some side by side testing in the near future to whittle down the collection of lenses. I don't believe that the DA 55-200 has sufficient resale value to worry about selling it. I have been OK with the quality of the lens with the exception of the known auto focus speed & low light hunting. I will probably leave my K100 and the DA's in the car to be sure I always have a camera with me.

I have a M 200mm F4 which has become kind of redundant. I think it makes sense to sell it, separately or kitted up along with an ME or ME Super.

If I am keeping the DA 55-200, my testing is essentially between the F 70-210 and the FA 100-300. I want to do some shooting with them in the same conditions to compare autofocus and the quality of the images. I have not used the FA 100-300 much, but unless I am really disappointed with the results I expect the logical thing to do is sell the F 70-210 along with the SF1. If I can sell enough equipment to pay for a 18-135 WR to go with the K200D, I would carry the lighter weight FA 100-300 with me when out hiking or biking.

So after all that background, here are my actual questions specific to the 200mm lenses in my possession.

1) From those who have experience with the two F and FA lenses - any comments on the lenses and my logic about what to keep and sell?

2) Neither lens came with a hood. I have been using the small clip on hood that came with the M 100 Macro on the 70-210, and I will pick up a generic rubber screw-on locally for the 100-300. Any comments on how useful these hoods would be and their effect on my lens comparison. Should I also pick up a hood more appropriate to the 70-210?

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by YeOldePentaxian; 07-15-2016 at 08:04 AM.
07-15-2016, 08:43 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by YeOldePentaxian Quote
Hello all,

I have a few thoughts and questions about the 200mm range lenses I currently have in my possession. I have four, three AF zooms and a manual prime I intend to test with the hope I will cut that number in half.

In the last few months I have acquired some new (old) equipment in my desire to upgrade a little from my K100D with the original kit DA 18-55 and 50-200 lenses. I also felt it was time to test out which of my old film era lenses I would keep or sell. Of course, in the testing I got all interested in photography again and have acquired more equipment than I need. I blame it all on this forum. :-)

It started with a K200D I found locally for $100 CDN essentially brand new with a lower shutter count. Shooting some action with the K200D and my DA 50-200mm I was not happy with the auto-focus speed, did some reading here on the site, and when I came across a SF1 film camera package that included F 50 1.7, F 70-210 and a M 100 F4 Macro lenses for the total price of $200 CDN I could not turn it down.

I have been happy with the F 70-210, then recently when using it for some airplane shooting, I thought it might be nice to have a little more reach. Did some reading on the forum (I need to stop this, and stop looking at used Pentax equipment ads) then found a FA 100-300mm F4.7-5.8 for $80 CDN.

This has got to stop. I intend to do some side by side testing in the near future to whittle down the collection of lenses. I don't believe that the DA 55-200 has sufficient resale value to worry about selling it. I have been OK with the quality of the lens with the exception of the known auto focus speed & low light hunting. I will probably leave my K100 and the DA's in the car to be sure I always have a camera with me.

I have a M 200mm F4 which has become kind of redundant. I think it makes sense to sell it, separately or kitted up along with an ME or ME Super.

If I am keeping the DA 55-200, my testing is essentially between the F 70-210 and the FA 100-300. I want to do some shooting with them in the same conditions to compare autofocus and the quality of the images. I have not used the FA 100-300 much, but unless I am really disappointed with the results I expect the logical thing to do is sell the F 70-210 along with the SF1. If I can sell enough equipment to pay for a 18-135 WR to go with the K200D, I would carry the lighter weight FA 100-300 with me when out hiking or biking.

So after all that background, here are my actual questions specific to the 200mm lenses in my possession.

1) From those who have experience with the two F and FA lenses - any comments on the lenses and my logic about what to keep and sell?

2) Neither lens came with a hood. I have been using the small clip on hood that came with the M 100 Macro on the 70-210, and I will pick up a generic rubber screw-on locally for the 100-300. Any comments on how useful these hoods would be and their effect on my lens comparison. Should I also pick up a hood more appropriate to the 70-210?

Thanks for reading.

I am not familiar with the FA 100-300mm but have the F 70-210mm (and a Sigma 100-300mm and a Tamron 70-300mm DI LD), I always use a hood on the F70-210, it's metal, about an inch deep, not much wider than the 49mm of the lens and it only cost me £0.99 on Ebay. Being a 49mm hood it can go on lots of lenses. I try to always have a hood on a lens even if it's not the prescribed one. I also do not have a DA 55-300mm......but would like to get one, lots of comments about this lens being better than the 50-200mm in the forums.
My Tamron 60-300mm SP23A (with P-KA mount) gets more use than any of my AF to 300mm lenses, the images seem better and cropping the F70-210 to match an image at 300mm provides images that do not really compare.

My 2 pence worth, sell your long lenses, get your 18-135mm WR and also a 55-300mm WR. My opinion based wholly on what I have read in the forums of course.

Just an aside, the F70-210mm is pretty violent on the min and max focus stops, 2 days ago I browsed through Pentax Forums as I had a problem getting it to focus on infinity, the hexagon would flash and the camera would not take a picture. I am assuming it was the violent hitting of the stops that caused it. (I tried it out on 3 cameras just to be sure it was not the camera.
Following the instructions I found, I released the 3 screws and tried to refocus the lens manually. Did up the screws and though it would focus to infinity at 70mm, it was still having a problem at 210mm. I let the lens bang forward and back against the stops a couple of times and lo and behold it gave focus lock at infinity at 210mm. I probably will not sell the lens due to this problem which I assume will be ongoing...and wish I had sold it before this manifested.
I'm looking forward to getting a good copy of a DA 55-300mm at a reasonable price ( to me) one day.
07-15-2016, 08:46 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have both the F 70-210 and the FA 100-300 f/4.7-5.8. Both are quite good for what they are. Exceptional really considering their price. Though I also have more modern and faster lenses I doubt I would sell either of these. They are useful because of the small size and light weight. I've not done side by comparison with them but the image quality on both is acceptable to me. On APS-C I seemed to prefer the FA 100-300 for the longer reach but now with the K-1 I am finding the F 70-210 to be more useful as an everyday short tele. So in short, both are good, and I would keep both.

Re hoods, I use the bespoke hood on all lenses when possible and a rubber one when not. I do think having the hood on makes a difference, even more so with older lenses and coatings. YMMV of course.
07-15-2016, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think that lens hoods can improve contrast and help a shot look "cleaner", especially with older telephoto lenses. I may have simply drunk the lens hood kool-aid though.

07-15-2016, 12:01 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Re hoods, I use the bespoke hood on all lenses when possible and a rubber one when not. I do think having the hood on makes a difference, even more so with older lenses and coatings. YMMV of course.
When you refer to bespoke hoods, are they the DIY printable ones from the lenshoods.co.uk website?

---------- Post added 07-15-16 at 01:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
My 2 pence worth, sell your long lenses, get your 18-135mm WR and also a 55-300mm WR. My opinion based wholly on what I have read in the forums of course.
Budget does not allow for two lenses right now. A 55-300 WR might be in the cards later but to buy both lenses right now in Canada we are looking at ~ $1000 CDN. I see the FA 100-300 as a stop gap and a reasonable way to test how much I use the longer length.

I know from my past shooting history that I will get good use out of the 18-135, and it adds a silent focus with WR in my kit.

Thanks for your post on the 70-210, I will read through it carefully and check out how my lens is reacting.

Last edited by YeOldePentaxian; 07-15-2016 at 12:15 PM. Reason: typo
07-15-2016, 12:35 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When you refer to bespoke hoods, are they the DIY printable ones from the lenshoods.co.uk website?

---------- Post added 07-15-16 at 01:10 PM ----------

Budget does not allow for two lenses right now. A 55-300 WR might be in the cards later but to buy both lenses right now in Canada we are looking at ~ $1000 CDN. I see the FA 100-300 as a stop gap and a reasonable way to test how much I use the longer length.

I know from my past shooting history that I will get good use out of the 18-135, and it adds a silent focus with WR in my kit.

Thanks for your post on the 70-210, I will read through it carefully and check out how my lens is reacting.

Budgeting for a new (or pre-loved) lens is hard for me, I keep dipping into my "one day a 55-300mm" fund to buy legacy lenses.
My wife thinks I have a problem. She is usually right.

Hopefully my 70-210mm problem was only my bad luck, I'm sure yours will be fine.
07-15-2016, 06:09 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No, I meant the original ones designed for the lens. Not all lenses have an OEM hood, especially the older consumer ones. But where possible I have acquired the original hood and where not have found a substitute.

You do not want to know what I paid for an original Pentax-A 20mm f/2.8 hood.