Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2007, 10:29 AM   #1

Sigma 30mm F1.4, how is it?

So I'm looking for a fast 'Normal' prime. I bought the 50mm f1.4, nice lens, but a little to tight, I'm looking for wider, I had a 30mm for my 20D and liked it so I'm looking for a simmilar lens here. I'd like it to be F2.0 or faster and around that 30mm area (28-35?)

I saw the Sigma and it seems nice but it's relatively heavy but if it performs well that's OK.

02-13-2007, 11:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

There are plenty of sample images online that have been taken with this lens:

Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM Lens Sample Photos and Specifications
02-13-2007, 11:34 AM   #3

Original Poster
I have looked at those photos, I'm looking for what users have to say, is it to heavy, do they like the bokeh, does it focus fast and accurate, how is the color, these are things that pictures can't answer (Well maybe the bokeh)
02-13-2007, 04:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If "normal" focal length is your goal then consider FA 35/2 AL: small, light, and optically excellent in all respects. According to users who own/owned both there is no real practical advantages of the more expensive Pentax FA 31 Limited, and in several cases it is known that users have switched from FA 31 Limited to FA 35. I own FA 35 and it is my most used prime lens.

-= IVAN =-

02-14-2007, 01:26 AM   #5

the 30/1.4 is an excellent lens. i considered switching to the 35/2... i actually have both at the moment, but i'm 99% certain i'll stick with the 30/1.4. the 35/2 has 3 advantages really... it's smaller, it uses (the pentax standard) 49mm filters, and it has a shorter minimum focus distance, allowing for more dramatic perspective when close focusing. because i usually keep the normal prime attached to my camera body, the compactness really doesn't help any... either way the body will still occupy the same location in my bag. as for the minimum focusing distance, it just wasn't worth the 2/3-stop tradeoff for me. the 62mm filter on the sigma really isn't that much bigger. for a polarizer, adapter rings aren't the end of the world.

i think i've just gotten accustomed to the convenience of f/1.4 in low light and to the handling of the sigma. i used it previously with canon and minolta, so it's the constant thread through my various camera misadventures so far. but i wouldn't keep buying it if it didn't deliver such great results.

i know you said you've already seen samples... there are a bunch more in the sigma 30/1.4 group at flickr if you're interested.

the one thing to keep in mind is sample variation. my canon and minolta 30/1.4 lenses need to go back to the factory for calibration before they became great performers. the process is painless. door-to-door turnaround is typically less than 2 weeks, and the lens will come back functioning perfectly... but that's still too much of an inconvenience for some people.

to more specifically answer your questions:
it is not too heavy. i find it balances well on the K10D.
i like the bokeh.
focus speed isn't noticeably different from pentax primes i own.
i haven't noticed any problems with color. i do a fair amount of post-processing on a lot of my photos, but the starting point is usually pretty good.