Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2008, 05:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DA*50-135--crop or TC

At some point (probably not until sometime mid-next year at the earliest), I'm considering getting a fast telezoom. Of course, the Tamron and Sigma 70-200 offerings and the DA*60-250 are possibilities, but will most likely be a bit heavy for my tastes, but the 50-135 is a good bit lighter than the other choices, so it's a definite possibility.

For those of you who already have this lens, have you tried using a TC on it? If so, then what did you think of the results? Would cropping work any better?

Thanks!
Heather

07-20-2008, 06:04 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
No TC presently on the market allows the DA*50-135/2.8's SDM AF to function properly. The only alternative you have is the old F1.7x AF adapter which has its own AF system.

Personally I never really liked the F1.7x I had, so I sold it. Kinda regret it now with the SDM trouble with powerzoom enabled TCs, but since I found it cost me too much in terms of IQ I think I would still prefer the Tamron 1.4x. Even if the latter doesn't AF properly, at least we can MF with QSF and not lose too much IQ.

That aside, I love my DA*50-135/2.8. I actually sold my Sigma EX70-200/2.8 for it. 135mm is sufficient for me in most cases, and for wildlife (only then I need longer) the 200mm of the Sigma wasn't enough anyway. Hence I prefer the FA*300/4.5 for wildlife (on the Tamron 1.4x). The DA*60-250/4 would probably be better for this, but that will probably have the same SDM + TC trouble, so I'm waiting for the new TCs before I decide on this one.

hth,

Wim