Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2016, 10:34 AM   #31

interesting thread, I also have the same question

08-17-2016, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Yes, a question worth asking and answers worth seeking.

I do have some results and they are favorable! I took a little time from lunch yesterday to head down to the river to take a few test shots. I noticed a big problem right away as soon as I got to the river...I brought my camera along with both SD card slots empty ...I couldn't believe it! Luckily I had two 1GB cards ( yes 1GB ) in my truck that had some music files on them so I reformatted them in camera and had a whopping total of a 24 image capacity We sure take for granted how nice we have it these days with the seemingly unlimited image taking capacity of digital. But it didn't really matter since I was pressed for time anyway.

Keep in mind I am no wildlife shooter so I did the best I could with the limited time I had and took all shots hand held as well as with the aperture wide open f4 at a 250mm focal length since that is what showed obvious vignetting prior to the modification. After reviewing the test shots...I am very happy overall with how they turned out. I could not see any apparent vignetting in any of them. I have to mention however that the conditions of the river area are not ideal since the thick cypress canopy along the river has very mixed uneven lighting but I had to make due and there were a few breaks where I could get something a bit more consistent in lighting. That being said, in the near future I will head out to a location where shooting conditions are a bit more ideal to demonstrate the apparent effectiveness of the modification.

Modified DA* 60-250mm test wide open-1

Modified DA* 60-250mm test wide open-2

Modified DA* 60-250mm test wide open-3

Modified DA* 60-250mm test wide open-4

Modified DA* 60-250mm test wide open-5

Modified DA* 60-250mm test wide open-6

Modified DA* 60-250mm test wide open-7

Modified DA* 60-250mm test wide open-8

Modified DA* 60-250mm test wide open-9

Overall I am very pleased with the optical quality of this lens, all those who commented on this aspect of the lens were right and not since the da*50-135mm have I been this impressed with a Pentax branded zoom lens. At this point I am reservedly happy about the post-mod results so far and if a few more test outings produce similar results then what a great option for FF...an excellent IQ producing lens that is smaller and lighter than the new FF pentax 70-200mm at about 1/3 the price ( on the used market). I have no doubt the new lens is better in many ways, but for someone like me that won't be using it much but wants high quality at a lower cost of entry as well as more portability this seems to be a great option.

More test pics to come...

Last edited by gda13; 08-17-2016 at 09:01 AM.
08-17-2016, 01:24 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I find it ironic that the lens that I find too big and bulky for me most of the time (60-250) is a lightweight alternative to the D FA 70-200 f/2.8 - I understand the physics (at least enough to be dangerous) and I don't begrudge the new lens the bulk that it needs but I'm so spoiled by the APSC cameras.
08-17-2016, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

I have had the lens for 5 years now... one of my first images, from Feb. 2011, taken with my K20D

Since then it's been in 30 or forty canoe trips, been dropped 5 times, been repaired once, just because the zoom ring was getting stiff. It's been through the wars, and still great performer.

It's good for just about everything.

It's taken a back seat of late to the DA*200 which with stacked TCs is a better bird lens But as general purpose kit, it's hard to beat the 60-250. As part of a two lens kit, 16-85 or 18-135 and 60-250, you won't miss much.

DA*60-250 slideshow.

Counting keepers (the ones that haven't been deleted from libraries, I have over 7,000 images taken with this lens.

It also works great with the F 1.7x AF adapter and the HD 1.4 adapter, on APS_c

Last edited by normhead; 08-18-2016 at 11:27 AM.
08-17-2016, 06:01 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I find it ironic that the lens that I find too big and bulky for me most of the time (60-250) is a lightweight alternative to the D FA 70-200 f/2.8
It is a bit ironic. As previously mentioned I had the Tamron 70-200/2.8 before (K5 days) and though it was novel for a little while, it didn't take long before I just refused to take it anywhere with me...and the Tamron is roughly 600g lighter and a about a cm shorter. Even though weight wise the 60-250mm is in the same territory as the Tamron it is still a fair bit smaller by ~3cm length and ~1cm diameter...so it plays much nicer in my hiking pack and is easier to handle when out and about.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I have had the lens for 5 years now...

Since then it's been in 30 or forty canoe trips, been dropped 5 times, been repaired once, just because the zoom ring was getting stiff. It's been through the wars, and still great performer.

It's good for just about everything.

It's taken a back seat of late wot the DA*200 which with stacked TCs is a better wildlife lens But as general purpose kit, it's hard to beat the 60-250. As part of a two lens kit, 16-85 or 18-135 and 60-250, you won't miss much.

Counting keepers (the ones that haven't been deleted from libraries, I have over 7,000 images taken with this lens.

It also works great with eh F 1,7x AF adapter and the HD 1.4 adapter, on APS_c
Indeed many of your images over the years came to mind when I came across this FF mod and I began to consider this as a viable option for my intended purposes. You have definitely been one of the more prolific posters with shots taken by this lens. Glad to hear its rugged durability is up to the DA* standard it bears and I might just have to consider one of those older 1.7x adapter or just wait and see if Pentax brings a new TC for FF but for now I find the range great for what I need.