Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2016, 06:17 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I got it somewhere on this forum
I think its just old stock that got repacked into new boxes. Both FA and DA limited lenses have short, limited production runs in past. For DA it was around the 2013 "HD" update. I dunno if oryginal 31/43/77 was recently produced.

07-17-2016, 07:33 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
[/COLOR]

In addition to weight and size, there's the issue of using filter on such a lens; particularly graduated nd filters. Also a zoom such as this is bound to be prone to flare. It's close focusing distance is longer than a prime, not so good for those close near to far images.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 07-17-16 at 02:52 PM ----------

I agree ...the 15-30 is a good focal range for landscape, but doesn't take filters. Filters are frequently used in landscape work so a good prime around 20mm and if a f1.8 would also offer some use in architectural work.
07-17-2016, 07:51 AM   #18
farmerDavid

135mm prime lenses are not very popular. Most people cover this focal length with zooms...
There seem to be a bunch of people yearning for a *135 f1,8 like lens on the forum. I'm not the only one drooling thinking about this. No zoom covers that speed.
For the fast standard, I hope for f1 or 1.2. We have all the other variants covered. DA50 1.8, FA50 1.4, DA*55 1.4 with AW and QS, DFA50 2.8 Macro. They are all reported to cover FF decently. The one missing is the oddball kickass speeddemon
I agree a wide angle and super wide angle are the priorities with WR or AW and QS.
Lots of possibilities to spend money in the future
David
07-17-2016, 08:09 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by farmerDavid Quote
There seem to be a bunch of people yearning for a *135 f1,8 like lens on the forum. I'm not the only one drooling thinking about this. No zoom covers that speed.
David
Never confuse what people are yearning for with what they buy
The fact is that the A* 135/1.8 is rare cause "no one" bought it. Many have unrealistic ideas about price when they wish for very fast lenses. Mr. Hirakawa said (in 1999 I think) that the A* 135/1.8 would cost $1600 if were they to assemble it again. My guess is that a new AF version with today's optical standards would be very expensive indeed....

07-17-2016, 08:18 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Provide me a small WA prime that has no field curvature and perfectly sharp stoped down on border, and I'll get it in a hearbeat. It would have to be in the 15-24mm range were even the APSC equivalent have at least field curvature issues.

I am not interrested in 28mm as i am waiting for my FA31 to arrive and I am on APSC, I really need something wider than that.

If you manage that, Pentax, you also make it a nice upgrade path for me, once you decide to make a small/light FF body.
07-17-2016, 08:23 AM   #21
Veteran Member

The fact is that the A* 135/1.8 is rare cause "no one" bought it. Many have unrealistic ideas about price when they wish for very fast lenses. Mr. Hirakawa said (in 1999 I think) that the A* 135/1.8 would cost $1600 if were they to assemble it again. My guess is that a new AF version with today's optical standards would be very expensive indeed....
Maybe, but new or refines old process must bring prices down at this time, look at the Samyang 135mm doenst coat a fortune and have very good optics, shure a better construction and AF will stepup the prices... but if they use the KAF4 maybe cut some cost againt the aperture lever...

07-17-2016, 08:32 AM   #22
farmerDavid

Nikon Canada (Canadian $$$)
135mm f/2
AF DC-NIKKOR 135mm f/2D
FX AF

1 849,95$

Make it modern with AW, the new Quickshift. It will be in the DFA* 70-200 price range or a bit more. Thats ok with me.
It would fill the range more than a 85 1.4 I think. The 77 1.8 is well regarded as a very short portrait tele for those who like that range.
Not to contradict the other posters about the urgent need of wide and ultra-wide primes. Both (or even more) are needed (for Pentax in general, not me.0
David

07-17-2016, 08:34 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
In another thread there are hints to 60mm and 100mm macro lenses...
07-17-2016, 09:58 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
Maybe, but new or refines old process must bring prices down at this time, look at the Samyang 135mm doenst coat a fortune and have very good optics, shure a better construction and AF will stepup the prices... but if they use the KAF4 maybe cut some cost againt the aperture lever...
Man the 18-55 and 70-300 have an apperture lever. It is was sooo costly it would prevent cheap lenses to exist. In practice they are the majority of sales. Bundled to a new entry level body a 18-55 is paid as low a 50$ at time.

The apperture lever of K mount is very old, entirely specified and is no longer protected so you don't need to licence anything to make it work.

On the opposite, anything requiring KAF4 will need a licence from Pentax with the associated cost. It will also need to implement a dedicated chip able to understand the camera protocol and maybe even a way to update the lens firmware with the release of new bodies. This is far more complex and costly.

Oh, you can reverse engineer, that what sigma is doing. And on a regular basis their lenses have issues with the new bodies. It occurs huge cost for them to take back the lens free of charge and update their firmware.

Using the mechanical apperture lever is much less risky and much less expensive.
07-17-2016, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

For me a Limited-quality compact 24mm prime is the biggest hole in the Pentax line up. The Sigma 24mm Art would be great, except it weighs 1.5 lbs. and of course they won't make it for Pentax. Rokinon et al are also weighty and bulky.

If the 24mm has to be 2.8, then that's fine, especially for a lens people will use for landscape. The Sigma Art, for instance, has to be stopped down to 2.8 anyway to start getting "Art" performance. It would be awesome if Pentax had the four amigos—all sub-500 gram Limited or * lenses.

Last edited by les3547; 07-17-2016 at 04:08 PM.
07-17-2016, 03:17 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Man the 18-55 and 70-300 have an apperture lever. It is was sooo costly it would prevent cheap lenses to exist. In practice they are the majority of sales. Bundled to a new entry level body a 18-55 is paid as low a 50$ at time.

The apperture lever of K mount is very old, entirely specified and is no longer protected so you don't need to licence anything to make it work.

On the opposite, anything requiring KAF4 will need a licence from Pentax with the associated cost. It will also need to implement a dedicated chip able to understand the camera protocol and maybe even a way to update the lens firmware with the release of new bodies. This is far more complex and costly.

Oh, you can reverse engineer, that what sigma is doing. And on a regular basis their lenses have issues with the new bodies. It occurs huge cost for them to take back the lens free of charge and update their firmware.

Using the mechanical apperture lever is much less risky and much less expensive.
That wasnt what i meant, at this point Ricoh/Pentax must have the mechanical aperture lever pretty much settle beetween the engineers and manufacturing of lenses, and a very wide stock of them...

But i mean, that in the middle long term, when Pentax start using the KAF4 as a regular basis (it cant force the introduction now, as the mayority of the user base dont have a camera with compatibility with the system), the KAF4 it must be more affordable to produce and introduce at the lines, it wont need engineers to double check tolerances and possibly avoid light meter issue cause a faulty lever, if Ricoh license this mount, maybe other lens manufacturers absorbs the hate of drop the KAF3 mount and force the user base to adopt newer cameras, and then safely drop that mount.

At the end of this, all of this are savings in the cost of production, no lever, no metal construction, everything sums for a more affordable price lens.... i hope some day i can see a DFA*135 f1.8 but doenst cost 2k or more, up to 1.2k is my budget for this lens in the future, but who knows.....
07-17-2016, 03:27 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I would love to buy Pentax FDA* 70-200mm f4
07-17-2016, 03:52 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I would love to buy Pentax FDA* 70-200mm f4
Easy Buy the D FA* 70-200 F2.8 and stop it down.
07-17-2016, 04:10 PM   #29
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

D-FA 100-300/4. A good idea!
I don't see this on the lens map. What is the source?

It would be fairly big and heavy (presumably like the Sigma 100-300 f4, about 1.4kg), and expensive. I guess it would fill a niche in the current full-frame lineup between the DFA 70-200 and the DFA 150-450. From Ricoh's point of view, however, they might be concerned about cannibalising sales of the DA*60-250 f4, DA*300 f4 and DFA 150-450 f4.5-5.6, especially for APS-C users.
07-17-2016, 05:18 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
I think its just old stock that got repacked into new boxes. Both FA and DA limited lenses have short, limited production runs in past. For DA it was around the 2013 "HD" update. I dunno if oryginal 31/43/77 was recently produced.
FA Limited production did end December, 2012. At the time it was thought permanently.

Once K-1 was given the green light the decision was made to resume production late last fall, and a new batch of all three Princesses was ordered and is currently running. All three are in current production.

They don't bother re-boxing lenses. They put a sticker over the UPC bars. I bought a new FA77 Limited on a one day sale October, 2014. It has a Ricoh Imaging Company sticker covering the Pentax Corporation printing on the box. It is not the Ricoh silver box.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-17-2016 at 05:43 PM.