Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2016, 07:58 AM   #1
Veteran Member

My tamron 70-200 may have died :(

I had this phenominal photoshoot for a wedding. My pentax 24-70 was working wonderfully, then i tried the tamron 70-200 macro lens and was blown away. Different optical range and specs, for sure, but the image quality was spectacular and im blown away with it.

I kept switching lenses back and forth the entire night.

After the shoot, i went out to take a picture of the moon, but no dice. The autofocus wasnt working

The inner focusing motor sounds like its trying to work but dies half way through.

I thought it maybe the cold (though it wasnt that cold) so i tried today in the morning and same thing.

It will VERY slowly focus on something out in the distance that is of high contrast, but if i try to focus on the point again, itll struggle or die again

I thought it maybe my k1, so i slapped it on my k5 and same thing.

Though i noticed my pentax 50mm 1.4 is also randomly struggling to focus now...i wonder what could happen

Anyone know any ways to get it fixed? Or does this situation sound familiar? I recently got the lens from a forum member. Not sure what could cause it to just stop working all of a sudden

Super heart broken

07-17-2016, 08:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Maybe I'm a little uneducated on the Tamron range...but my 70-200 is a screwdrive lens, with no internal motor.
07-17-2016, 08:15 AM   #3

Agreed. And it's easy to slip the lens into manual if I recall correctly.

It sounds like it might not be fully engaged in AF. Did you try to put it into manual and then back to AF? What happened?
07-17-2016, 08:27 AM   #4

You should contact the original owner. How old is the lens? I know Tamron has 6 years warranty in Canada.

QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
I had this phenominal photoshoot for a wedding. My pentax 24-70 was working wonderfully, then i tried the tamron 70-200 macro lens and was blown away. Different optical range and specs, for sure, but the image quality was spectacular and im blown away with it.

I kept switching lenses back and forth the entire night.

After the shoot, i went out to take a picture of the moon, but no dice. The autofocus wasnt working

The inner focusing motor sounds like its trying to work but dies half way through.

I thought it maybe the cold (though it wasnt that cold) so i tried today in the morning and same thing.

It will VERY slowly focus on something out in the distance that is of high contrast, but if i try to focus on the point again, itll struggle or die again

I thought it maybe my k1, so i slapped it on my k5 and same thing.

Though i noticed my pentax 50mm 1.4 is also randomly struggling to focus now...i wonder what could happen

Anyone know any ways to get it fixed? Or does this situation sound familiar? I recently got the lens from a forum member. Not sure what could cause it to just stop working all of a sudden

Super heart broken

07-17-2016, 08:28 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have that lens, check if the screw drive shaft rotates when you get it into manual mode(blue line visible,focus ring slide down to the mount side)then if it does, get it back into forward position and try to mount it on camera, it shoulf give a nice click when mounted properly
07-17-2016, 08:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I tried switching it back and forth to manual in both auto and manual on both the body and lens. Its the same thing. I can hear the lens trying to focus but gives up after a while.

The original owner said he had it for a few years but hardly used it. It worked just fine when i took it around the city a few times. I may have had it for about a month or so
07-17-2016, 09:00 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Does the shaft on lens mount rotates when its unmounted?

07-17-2016, 09:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I dont understand what that means :s
07-17-2016, 09:20 AM   #9
Pentaxian

On the lens mount, there is screw drive shaft, it looks like old type of steel screw head, when you rotate the front ring on lens that is set to manual, it should rotate quite fast If its not, then you probably have lens clutch failure.
07-17-2016, 09:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, on the mounting ring, there is something that looks like a flathead screw that does rotate fast when i turn the ring in manual

The actual manual ring does feel stiff when rotating it towards infinity. The opposite direction seems to rotate much easier
07-17-2016, 10:31 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
The actual manual ring does feel stiff when rotating it towards infinity. The opposite direction seems to rotate much easier
Sounds like the clutching mechanism may have gone bad. This is one of the few things that can fail in screwdrive lenses, along with the gears themselves.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-17-2016, 10:34 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can you break this down a bit? You mention two cameras and three lenses. On the K1 and the K5, the Tamron is not working as it should, so that sounds like a lens issue. But then you mention a 50/1.4 not working - on which camera? If not working on both, could this simply be low batteries? Does the 28-70 work perfectly on both cameras? I'd try the three lenses mentioned on both bodies and report back. I have the Tamron as well and it's fairly stiff towards infinity too on the manual setting, but the screw drive shaft spins quickly both ways. Can't imagine both cameras failing to focus the Tamron if the lens is fine, but also can't imagine the 50/1.4 breaking at the same time as the Tamron if it was fine beforehand. If the drive shaft spins well, your lens clutch should be OK.
07-17-2016, 10:53 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, so the 24-70 is working well on both the cameras. No issues.

The 50mm is also working fine, however, i was comparing it RIGHT AFTER the 24-70, and as a result, it focues a lil slower and more noisely. Just few moments with the 24-70 seems to spoil me

The 70 to 200 was focusing fine at the wedding. Then refused to focus on near and far things. Or if it does, it locks in focus and beeps, but visually the focus is WAY off. Its randomly back and front focusing.

I tried the 18 to 135 and it works fine

I tried the 100mm 2.8 wr which too works fine

The 70 to 200 is malfunctioning.

I looked it up on this forum and came across a few threads from 2011 onwards experiencing the same issue. No one is mentioning a fix though...
07-19-2016, 09:49 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
a new development in this lens. now, it WILL focus accurately, however, i have to keep tapping the shutter button over and over again; each tap bringing the lens closer to the focus point. if i hold it, it starts turning towards the accurate focal point, but then stops working.

its not the battery as its brand new battery used in both the cameras
07-19-2016, 10:22 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Clean up lens and camera mount and contacts with good deoxider or technical alcohol, it looks like a contact problem.