Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2008, 07:08 AM   #1

Now that the Pentax 17-70 is out... what carry around lens??

(Sorry this got posted to the SLR Film Thread. I am reposting here)

I am very ready to upgrade from the 18-55 kit lens and have been considering either the Sigma 17-70 or Tamron 17-50, favoring the Sigma because of the longer zoom. But now that the Pentax 17-70 is out, I am wondering if I should get that? Price wise the Pentax is A LOT more, but maybe worth it. The Pentax new is about $200 more than either a new Tamron or Sigma; or $200 more than either of the two.

Just wondering what any of you might have to say about these lenses and which, if any, would you suggest for a carry around, all factors considered.

Appreciate the feedback.

07-20-2008, 07:18 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Even though I own Tamron's and Sigmas (and some other oddballs). I till will always favour a Pentax lens whenever possible. They are almost always better than a similar Fl lens. There are of course some very notable exceptions like the VL's and a few others.

But it's hard to beat the Pentax glass in most cases for the colour qualities and SMC coatings. All that being said, as a walk around my Tamron 28-75mm XR Di f2.8 is still my most used but the DA16-45 f4 is generally very nearby for wider stuff.
07-20-2008, 07:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the Sigma 17-70 and love it. I opted for it over the 18-55 kit lens. I hasn't disappointed me. However for travel, I've chosen to add the Pentax 18-250. IQ might not be perfect at all lengths, but overall it will be a great lens to accompany my Sigma 10-20 when I'm traveling. If the Pentax version of the 17-70 had been available I would have looked very closely at it for sure.
07-20-2008, 12:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

For the difference in price, the extra dollars for the Pentax would need to justify a much better lens than the Sigma. I cant see how it can be that much better.
I have the Sigma 17-70 and I find it a brilliant lens. Can Pentax outdo it by that much? I really wonder.

07-20-2008, 12:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
I have the Sigma 17-70 and I find it a brilliant lens. Can Pentax outdo it by that much? I really wonder.
Ditto. Really have to wonder why they made this unless they're planning on making it the kit lens for the K1D or whatever is coming this fall...
07-20-2008, 04:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
I cant see how it can be that much better.
Chasseur d'Images tested it and was very happy with it. They only found that it is a bit soft fully open from 50-70 though. Otherwise, it sounded like it would outperform alternatives in this range. But then, nobody can confirm yet
07-20-2008, 04:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentakun Quote
(Sorry this got posted to the SLR Film Thread. I am reposting here)

I am very ready to upgrade from the 18-55 kit lens and have been considering either the Sigma 17-70 or Tamron 17-50, favoring the Sigma because of the longer zoom. But now that the Pentax 17-70 is out, I am wondering if I should get that? Price wise the Pentax is A LOT more, but maybe worth it. The Pentax new is about $200 more than either a new Tamron or Sigma; or $200 more than either of the two.

Just wondering what any of you might have to say about these lenses and which, if any, would you suggest for a carry around, all factors considered.

Appreciate the feedback.
Are you using a K10 or newer body? If not the older bodies will not auto focus the 17-70, so unless you plan to do a lot of manual focus, I'd stay away from the 17-70.

You might consider the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 unless you need the wider angle at 18mm. It outscores the Pentax 16-50, and holds it's own at 70mm with the very highly regarded Sigma and Pentax 70 primes.
FHPhotographer

07-20-2008, 06:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I can't speak for the Pentax 17-70, but the Sigma is a super lens IMO. In addition to that lens I also have the Sigma 10-20, the Sigma 70-300, the Bigma, the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and the Pentax 50mm f/1.4, and at least 95% of my photos have been made with the 17-70. With a constant f/4 I really can't see how Pentax can achieve much of a market with its lens. I only wish that someone would come out with a constant f/2.8 in the same focal length range.

CN
07-20-2008, 07:47 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Not interested in this lens. My Tammy 28-75 fits the bill and takes great shots. I almost never shoot at 28mm either...so don't need the extra real estate on the wide end.

c[_]
07-21-2008, 06:10 AM   #10

Original Poster
It's good to hear more positive comments about the Sigma 70

I have found a used one in fact, planning on getting it tomorrow. I am going to bring my own K10D to see if the AF works properly, etc. etc. on my own camera.

Sorry my original post (which I reread) has some typos.
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentakun Quote
The Pentax new is about $200 more than either a new Tamron or Sigma; or $200 more than either of the two.
It should have read "The Pentax new is about $200 more than either a new Tamron or Sigma; or $300 more than either of the two when buying used."

As was mentioned, I wonder if Pentax would outshine the Sigma, and justify the $300 - $200 price difference? I guess we all wondering and it's too soon to tell since it hasn't even come out yet.

I'm planning on getting the Sigma now, since the price is right and I want to take it on vacation from Aug 1. After that, I can study the Pentax version.