Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2008, 07:38 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
a mild rant

Just a mild rant nto hopefully encourage all those with third party lenses to not only put comments here about your lenses, but to enter lens reviews in the database.

07-20-2008, 04:58 PM   #2

I agree, and I would also enjoy seeing some sample pics!
07-20-2008, 05:15 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Third party? You mean someone makes lenses besides Pentax?

J/K of course!
07-20-2008, 05:40 PM   #4
Pentaxian

For us non-essay-type people (at school and university I was always word challenged) maybe a template or guidelines of some sort would encourage some to put the opinions up there. Plus maybe some sort of routine or check-list for "testing" a lens. Obviously these would only be guidelines.

07-21-2008, 12:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm a non-essay-type and new to dlsr, but I gave it a crack and added my 2 cents regarding the Sigma 17-70....just hope someone finds it useful!!!
Just ordered the Sigma 105 Macro...will review in a few weeks.
07-21-2008, 03:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Just a mild rant nto hopefully encourage all those with third party lenses to not only put comments here about your lenses, but to enter lens reviews in the database.
Great wisdom

me being a newbie to DSLR usage I can say for sure that the review section helps in tracking down lens advice and assists in making decisions... the forum threads are fantastic but can be daunting when trying to trackback or gather info in a short time
07-21-2008, 04:45 AM   #7

I'll have to add additional reviews for the voightlanders and the 24 2.8 (sigma?) manual focus wide angle I own. I definately think the 3rd party review data base could be a great resource for those looking for perhaps alternative lense choices to pentax as they might be cheaper, sometimes better and provide more alternatives for everyone.

As there are often posts for people wondering about zooms or lenses in variable focal lengths, think if the third party review builds up it will be extremely helpful!
07-21-2008, 05:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Question, do attached images in reviews count against your attachment quota? The review I did for my Quantaray 70-300 has pics that are linked offsite. But if I reorganize my pics they will break the links. I would much rather attach them to the review post.

07-21-2008, 05:30 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

You can send the pics to Adam by simply loading them to the gallery page and notify him of the the image via PM. Once he has loaded the shot, you can then delete the image from your gallery and it doesn't use any space for you.

I agree with Lowell, we all need to load images and reviews of our lenses. If it's not in the data base then add the lens.
07-21-2008, 07:18 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I hear you, the deed is done.
Cheers.
07-21-2008, 07:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I added my quick review of the Sigma 17-70 (the only 3rd party lens I have).

For those of you who aren't sure how to do the reviews, it's not that big of a deal. You don't need to write a book about the lens in question, just a brief summary of your impressions of the lens. It's really not much different than if you had posted your thoughts on the lens in the lens forum.

HTH,
Heather
07-24-2008, 06:33 AM   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

You can also just add pictures yourself and it does not effect your total storage for picture posts. I just added 4 lenses and pictures to the data base and adding this post to bump it and get others to take the time.

We must collectively own almost every lens out there and let's at least get the pictures in the data base with a little data so others will post reviews.
07-24-2008, 02:21 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It's amazing what happens when you go to france for 4 days. When I left, I thought this would die.

Thanks to all those who are adding reviews and lenses.