Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 68 Likes Search this Thread
07-23-2016, 06:38 PM   #61

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Wish I had thousands to spend
With the way the £ is dropping hundreds will become the new thousands and thousands will become the new hundreds of thousands. I'm okay I've got some loose change left over from foreign trips in a mug by my bed.

Old lenses are good fun and are great if you can take time over each shot, but modern optics with the convenience of WR, AE, and AF, together with modern coating can/do make photography easier.

I've got a few old Petri lenses which I enjoy playing with but I confess to feeling a shudder of guilty pleasure when I open a new Pentax or Sigma box for the first time.

07-23-2016, 10:30 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nickrs Quote
but modern optics with the convenience of WR, AE, and AF, together with modern coating can/do make photography easier
AF is what make the real difference. There always ways to make the camera do the exposure for you and WR is a plastic bag away.
07-24-2016, 06:28 AM   #63

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
AF is what make the real difference. There always ways to make the camera do the exposure for you and WR is a plastic bag away.
The key word was "convenience". Manual focus, working out exposure and battling a plastic bag all take time, unless you are imaging an immobile and immutable subject then the convenience of AF, AE and WR is a very definite boon. There was a time when I enjoyed kick-starting a motorcycle but I'm not sure I would want to swap my twenty first century Moto Guzzi for one made in the mid twentieth century. I might enjoy a classic bike or lens occasionally but only occasionally. Luckily I have a few older lenses to enjoy and for me to reconnect with my photographic skills of yesteryear. This is my grandfather's old Kodak and my Leningrad light meter for when I feel I like a challenge, they both work very well but sadly I don't have a darkroom any more.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
07-25-2016, 01:46 AM   #64
Pentaxian

It's no surprise to me to see the DA 35mm limited as Pentax'es sharpest lens. Sharpness is just one of the many areas in which it is superb.

I' don't remember where it came from, but I always like this quote and it seems relevant here. I tell it to people who are convinced an expensive new semi-pro camera will give them better photos when used in conjunction with their terrible kit lens.

"Amateurs worry about cameras. Professionals worry about lenses. Photographers worry about light."

07-25-2016, 04:17 AM   #65
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote

"Amateurs worry about cameras. Professionals worry about lenses. Photographers worry about light."
"Amateurs worry about gear. Professionals worry about money. Masters worry about light." ?
07-25-2016, 08:10 AM   #66

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
"Amateurs worry about gear. Professionals worry about money. Masters worry about light." ?

"Amateurs worry about gear. Professionals worry about money. Masters worry about light. I worry about everything."
07-25-2016, 01:41 PM   #67
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

"Amateurs worry about gear. Professionals worry about money. Masters worry about light. I worry about everything."
Bless neurotics! 😊

07-25-2016, 06:42 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A couple of years ago I viewed a photo contest being judged by one man. Probably 70 years old, with his own quirks, likes and dislikes. He actually pulled out a jewelers loop and announced he was checking corner sharpness. I thought to myself he must be joking but he was not. Ironically in that contest all submission must be printed 8x10 with no borders, so everything was cropped anyway. But he was really judging equipment.
07-25-2016, 07:39 PM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Meh. Me no worry.

Me buy K-1. Me have more fun now.
07-25-2016, 08:55 PM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Amateurs worry about equipment.
Professionals worry about money.
Masters worry about light.
That must be why pros always use really cheap equipment.

---------- Post added 07-25-16 at 09:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
My argument is that most of the lenses of the film era are sharp enough.

Excessive sharpness of the new "digital" lenses are counterproductive as they create sterile images.

You can send me any overly-sharp digital lenses that plague you with sterile images.
07-26-2016, 12:15 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote

You can send me any overly-sharp digital lenses that plague you with sterile images.
Sorry, I have nothing, I'm not one of these amateurs who spend thousands to get lenses that take plastic look like images.
07-26-2016, 06:35 AM   #72
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
"the things you see when you don't have your camera!"
There's definitely a moral in there somewhere...
07-26-2016, 06:37 AM   #73
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
What if you worry about all 3?
I'd hazard a guess that your "Doomed", anyway it makes a change from Pentax being that way.
07-26-2016, 06:47 AM   #74
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
My argument is that most of the lenses of the film era are sharp enough.

Excessive sharpness of the new "digital" lenses are counterproductive as they create sterile images.
That's good, me and my "Ladies" are safe for the time being then.
07-26-2016, 02:39 PM   #75

Original Poster
Interestingly this week's Amateur Photographer contains a section on bokeh and softness with a test of some lenses which are designed to give a soft effect, special bokeh or limited sharpness.

Here is an image I took this afternoon with my DA* 300mm f/4 fitted with my HD-DA 1.4x teleconverter so a combined focal length of 420mm, still pretty sharp to the corners methinks.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo