Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2008, 01:44 PM   #1

M42 adapters

Looking through eBay today to get an M42 adapter. Didn't find the official Pentax one, so I was wondering which of this would do the trick. I want the infinity focus has well...
M42 to K mount adapter, Cameras Photo items on eBay.com

07-20-2008, 02:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Genuine Pentax M42 PK adapter fit K10d k100d K20D K200d - eBay (item 350080186779 end time Jul-23-08 14:10:53 PDT)

Redo your search with "genuine pentax adapter"
07-20-2008, 02:25 PM   #3

Original Poster
d'oh...expensive D: but worth it for the old glass I guess ...anyway M42 glass that particularly stands out??? I was thinking a 135mm and an old Industar
07-20-2008, 03:51 PM   #4

The adapter in that eBay link (posted by Zewrak) seems to be a genuine one. I got one from Pentax store ($30.95 + $7 shipping to US) and it's exactly the same, even package and manual! Here is the link to Pentax web-store: PentaxWebstore Mount Adapter B (35mm Screwmount to Bayonet)
And do some research if you decide to by another brand, some of them do not fit correctly causing focusing issues, some difficult to demount. You should read this blog: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/18735-screwmou...ng-issues.html

PollitowuzHere, I looked at the page you posted and on that page I see some of the adapters - the ones with wide flange - that cause focusing problems... However, I don't know about others

Last edited by x_goal; 07-20-2008 at 04:01 PM.
07-21-2008, 12:54 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just purchased one of the non-Pentax m42 adapters off ebay a couple weeks ago. It works great and WILL let me focus to infinity. Make sure you get one of the adapters without a flange.

This is the good style.

This is the style to avoid.

The one I found was $15 delivered. I see a few on there right now for $10 + delivery.

I've seen various descriptions on how to use the adapter properly. The recommended way is to insert the adapter into the camera first. It will turn and lock in place just like a lens. Then screw in the m42 lens. When you are done... unscrew the lens first (don't push the lens release button) Once the lens is off, push the spring loaded release and unscrew the adapter.

I think this is where most people have difficulties, if you push the cameras lens release and try to twist off the adapter it may or may not come off. I push the release on the adapter (not the camera) and use my finger tips to twist it off. Most will provide some kind of tool to help remove the adapter, but I find it's more trouble than it worth.
07-21-2008, 01:38 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I wrote up bunch of M42 adapters articles in my blog post, I would recommend the Genuine adapter from Pentax as the best option.

Thanks,
Hin
07-21-2008, 02:53 PM   #7

I must have been lucky. Some time ago I went to one of my favourite second hand photo shops (Campion in Brussels) and asked if he might have such an item. The owner went rummaging in one of his many boxes and after some time dug out a genuine Asahi Pentax one, which he let me have for 15.

Marc.
07-21-2008, 03:19 PM   #8
Igilligan

Pentaximaging dot com

They look to have the original pentax version in stock again... For 31 dollars US

PentaxWebstore Mount Adapter B (35mm Screwmount to Bayonet)

07-22-2008, 12:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
They look to have the original pentax version in stock again... For 31 dollars US

PentaxWebstore Mount Adapter B (35mm Screwmount to Bayonet)
Problem is that they only sell to US. Most local photostores will order them if you ask them to though. Just give them the part number and it should not be a problem. I got mine after a week when I asked them to get one. Part number is 30120.
07-22-2008, 12:55 AM   #10
Inactive Account

I have the one pictured above, it works fine but its hard as @#&@ getting off. Every single time I flip into panic mode. i will soon be ordering the genuine adapter. I wish there was an easier way getting the other one off though. I am going to try what was mentioned above when I get a chance.

?? Can I use any type of lubricant on the adapter?? WD40? Just a thought
07-22-2008, 03:43 AM   #11
Forum Member

WD40??? I would not let that near my camera. Smart move trying to get a genuine one.

I was lucky enough to find one on the shelf at Ted's in Adelaide. Just as all the posts by users say, it comes off with slight pressure from a fingernail.
07-23-2008, 10:41 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I finally bit the bullet and purchased one of the "genuine" adapters. Though I've been using a Bower adapter without issue since last September, I thought I'd see what all the fuss is about. It should be here next week so I'll see if it's really that much better. It will be nice to have a second adapter to use with the ME-Super anyway.

edit: Oh, I meant to say thanks for the link to the Pentax site. That's what prompted me to buy. Impulse!
07-23-2008, 11:33 AM   #13

this genuine adapter can sure be found on the pentaxwebstore, but, frustratingly, they only ship to the US of A. They tell me they're an independent retailer. Sadly, they also seem to be the ONLY web-based Pentax retailer. Nothing can be bought off the company's site.
Like, what's up Pentax?
07-23-2008, 12:07 PM   #14

one can nevertheless find it at
Pentax K Mount Adaptor for screw thread lenses Buy Online in UK
07-23-2008, 12:42 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I have one (two, actually, but I'm keeping one)

FYI, I'm getting ready (one of these weeks, anyway ) to put some nice Super Taks and other m42 lenses I picked up from a co-worker on the marketplace, and included in the thread will be a new-in-package genuine Pentax m42 adapter for purchase cost to anyone who wants to buy a lens - for any out-of-USA folk who have a hard time finding one, it's another option available to you.

I think it will be priced exactly what I bought it for minus shipping, discounted if you buy more than one lens, etc, etc...