Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2016, 02:55 PM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
My new theory is that some K-1 shutter units are defective and are in need of repair. It might not be a widespread issue, however.
Roll montage of 10,000 K1 owners shooting at 1/90 of a second and pixel peeping..... in 3-2-1.....

I'm not sure if I even want to test my K1, I don't use SR very often so maybe I can get away with sustained ignorance.

07-26-2016, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #62
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
Roll montage of 10,000 K1 owners shooting at 1/90 of a second and pixel peeping..... in 3-2-1.....

I'm not sure if I even want to test my K1, I don't use SR very often so maybe I can get away with sustained ignorance.
It isn't SR related so not using SR won't necessarily help you maintain your ignorance I'm afraid!
07-26-2016, 03:16 PM   #63

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
I ran several tests today. Tripod, hand held, SR on, SR off, view finder view, live view, D FA 28-105 and D FA 24-70, you name it I did it.

Even with my perhaps too flimsy tripod the images are blurred at 1/90s and 1/125s. They are fine at 1/180s and higher.

Live view is worse than viewfinder view.

With a heavy lens like the D FA 24-70 the blur is a tad less pronounced but it is still there.

So my conclusion is that the issue is not with the lens. And it is not a bokeh issue. It is shutter induced blur at 1/90s and 1/125s.

Attached are first three samples with the camera tripod mounted thus eliminating the human "shake" factor. Focusing was done once (using live view) prior to capturing the images so there is no variation in focus between the images. The last three samples were shot handheld, SR on. The lens was set to 35mm and F8 throughout.
Actually that is quite bad! :-(

N
07-26-2016, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #64
Pentaxian

If you look at the tiny little bokeh through the leaves of the trees in the 100% crop, they are are little crescents.

Something is moving in the system. If you had this problem with all lenses, I'd blame SR. But given that it only happens with this one lenses, I'd suspect a loose element or part of the zoom mechanism that is shifting slightly during the vibration created by the mirror, shutter, or aperture stop-down motions.

07-26-2016, 03:36 PM   #65
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Something is moving in the system. If you had this problem with all lenses, I'd blame SR. But given that it only happens with this one lenses, I'd suspect a loose element or part of the zoom mechanism that is shifting slightly during the vibration created by the mirror, shutter, or aperture stop-down motions.
An interesting theory. I think this warrants some more test shots @Ole .

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-26-2016, 03:48 PM   #66

If you look at the tiny little bokeh through the leaves of the trees in the 100% crop, they are are little crescents.

I'm sorry to say this problem seems to be lens independent, we now have a number of instances with a number of lenses so "the fickle finger of fate" appears to be pointing at vibration in the K1 camera(s). Of course it could be stray neutrinos travelling at supra light speed interfering with the polarity of the flux capacity distorting space-time, then again possibly not.

Would it be really inappropriate of me to say I'm really glad it doesn't appear to be the 28-105 lens because I've got one?

Actually it might make me very careful when/if I buy a K1.
07-26-2016, 03:49 PM   #67
Veteran Member

If you had this problem with all lenses, I'd blame SR. But given that it only happens with this one lenses, I'd suspect a loose element or part of the zoom mechanism that is shifting slightly during the vibration created by the mirror, shutter, or aperture stop-down motions.
Sounds logical. It may not happen with all 28-105's either (ie mine seems OK at 1/125) due to manufacturing variation, or depend on some other aspect of 28-105 usage (eg aperture setting or lens support).

07-26-2016, 03:57 PM   #68

An interesting theory. I think this warrants some more test shots @Ole .
I think @Ole said he is getting his problem with multiple lenses. Are we talking about multiple different faults rather than multiple single faults creating a similar symptom?

N
07-26-2016, 04:06 PM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do I have a slight tickle of a memory that there was a post on a Chinese blog last year about K-1 shutter shock, or is that a false memory?
07-26-2016, 04:20 PM   #70

I've used the 28-105 maybe around 90% of the time, and among 3000 shots I did find several 'weird' images that were shot at 28mm and have some 'doubling blurriness'. No it is not motion blur, SR was on, 28mm (only), mostly f8~9, and the blurriness occurs only off center. The problems is easier to detect if I do some sharpening by adjusting the 'Detail' slider in LR CC and use 0.5 Radius. I will have to dig the files again but I remember how confused I was because it didn't make any sense at all to have motion blurs on those shots.
07-26-2016, 04:32 PM   #71
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by scopedude Quote
I've used the 28-105 maybe around 90% of the time, and among 3000 shots I did find several 'weird' images that were shot at 28mm and have some 'doubling blurriness'. No it is not motion blur, SR was on, 28mm (only), mostly f8~9, and the blurriness occurs only off center. The problems is easier to detect if I do some sharpening by adjusting the 'Detail' slider in LR CC and use 0.5 Radius. I will have to dig the files again but I remember how confused I was because it didn't make any sense at all to have motion blurs on those shots.
This could simply be the SR system not being properly armed. In Ole's test shots, there were two photos both taken at 1/90s with SR. One looked better but still a bit blurry due to motion, and the other one was terrible with that doubling effect.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-26-2016, 04:42 PM   #72
Veteran Member

My body isn't getting any issues, whereas Ole's is consistently introducing blur at 1/90s and to a lesser extent, 1/125s. Slower and faster shutter speeds are fine. Without SR, camera shake can exacerbate the issue, but there seems to be a degree of blur being introduced by the shutter regardless.

My new theory is that some K-1 shutter units are defective and are in need of repair. It might not be a widespread issue, however.
The D810 is known to have this issue with these shutter speeds too.
However, to alleviate this issue, Nikon has EFCS, where Pentax requires (for some unknown reason) pixel shift to use EFCS.
This blog discusses this:
http://blog.kasson.com/?p=6638
07-26-2016, 06:14 PM   #73

This may be an issue of shutter shock, given the OP's following statements: "Even with my perhaps too flimsy tripod the images are blurred at 1/90s and 1/125s. They are fine at 1/180s and higher." and the following:

"The exact amount of average blur ... has its maximum for shutter speeds of about 1/100s to 1/80s. It is less than 5 µm for 1/25s and slower. Or 1/250s and faster." From: LumoLabs: Shutter-induced blur with an SLR camera
07-26-2016, 06:37 PM   #74
Pentaxian

I have this issue (shutter vibration) with the K-r and K-S1. In both cases it goes away with the use of a heavier lens or a heavy flash like my AF280T. Since the K1 shutter is over twice the size it will probably take a combination of things to make it go away...
07-26-2016, 08:19 PM   #75
Veteran Member

It would be interesting if someone could test with a different wide and light lens, e.g. FA 20-35.