Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/54105302

07-27-2016, 06:59 PM   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krazykat Quote
I am under the impression that allowing Electronic First Curtain Shutter might ameliorate the phenomenon but not be a complete cure.
Well, the K-1 is certainly physically capable of EFCS, as it uses it in pixel-shift. Maybe it only needs a firmware update to allow it generally. I think we have seen in this thread that it would be a valuable feature.
07-28-2016, 05:16 PM   #93
Forum Member

Hi all, I've checked in Lightroom my 250+ photos that have shutter speed between 1/80 - 1/160. None of them have motion blur or double image. I do not think this is a common problem.

edit: Hi all, after a close examination again, I find that two images out of 101 taken with K1+DFA 28-105 lens at 1/100s have some double image blur...Too bad it's there! Sorry I should have be more careful before I posted previous comment.

Last edited by David L; 07-28-2016 at 10:33 PM.
07-28-2016, 06:27 PM   #94
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Actually, I think it is common, but not universal.

---------- Post added 29-07-16 at 11:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by David L Quote
Hi all, I've checked in Lightroom my 250+ photos that have shutter speed between 1/80 - 1/160. None of them have motion blur or double image. I do not think this is a common problem.
Which lens, and which focal length?

07-28-2016, 06:38 PM   #95
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My DFA15-30 does the same thing - randomly blurry hand held shots despite adequate shutter speed, stopped down, accurate focus and good hand-holding technique. With SR turned off results are tack sharp.

These rather boring test shots are uploaded to flickr at full size for those who are interested.

SR on:

Mr Hyde

SR off:

Dr Jeckyll

And here is a month's worth of shots taken subsequently, almost invariably hand held, with SR off, and some in quite low light.

Single in July 2016

Ricoh really needs to sort this out.
07-28-2016, 07:02 PM   #96
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
My DFA15-30 does the same thing - randomly blurry hand held shots despite adequate shutter speed, stopped down, accurate focus and good hand-holding technique. With SR turned off results are tack sharp.

These rather boring test shots are uploaded to flickr at full size for those who are interested.

Ricoh really needs to sort this out.
Weather permitting, I'll compare SR on and off on the weekend. But your Mr Hyde does look familiar. I'm guessing it's worse though at around 1/100 sec.

We don't even know if Ricoh is aware of the problem yet.
07-28-2016, 07:21 PM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
SR off:

Just a quick one Sandy, in the comments for Dr. Jekyll on Flikr you've stated that SR was on but here you've stated it was off. I can't see the EXIF to check.

07-28-2016, 08:24 PM   #98
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by David L Quote
I don't think this affects all camera bodies, either- at least not in a significant way. Some shutters might cause more vibrations than others, perhaps due to manufacturing tolerance.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-28-2016, 09:12 PM   #99
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Around 1/100s suggests shutter shock:

A Thousand Words A Picture: Mirror-Slap Versus Shutter Shock
07-28-2016, 09:30 PM   #100
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by krazykat Quote
Just a quick one Sandy, in the comments for Dr. Jekyll on Flikr you've stated that SR was on but here you've stated it was off. I can't see the EXIF to check.
Ah! Well spotted. It was a while ago and I had forgotten. They were both with SR on, with very different results despite identical conditions. After the discussion around these two shots I have tried to remember to turn SR off every time I used the lens, with totally consistent and high quality results.

---------- Post added 29-07-16 at 02:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Interesting. I'm pretty sure I have seen it at considerably faster shutter speeds as well, but I'll look into it.
07-28-2016, 10:32 PM   #101
Forum Member

Hi all, after a close examination again, I find that two images out of 101 taken with K1+DFA 28-105 lens at 1/100s have some double image blur...Too bad it's there! Sorry I should have be more careful before I posted previous comment.
07-29-2016, 08:18 PM   #102
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I tried some tests this morning, with various lenses and various focal lengths. Camera on tripod, IR trigger with 3 sec delay, shooting boxes with text on them from 1-2 metres.
  • Using D FA 28-105 @ 28mm, SR on, focus left fixed at point where 1:1 image very sharp at 1/500 sec: a little soft at 1/60 to 1/125 sec or even 1/200;
  • Generally better with SR on;
  • Slightly reduced effect at 48mm; again better with SR on,
  • Softness absent with D FA* 70-200 at both 70mm and 160mm -- this is a very heavy lens that seems to stabilize the camera.
However, I was only seeing softness, not the "double image" I sometimes see hand-held. That seems to be characteristic of very complex scenes (such as vegetation), which suggests to me a focussing issue rather than purely camera shake.

I don't feel I fully understand this camera yet, but shutter shake is certainly identifiable in my tests.
07-30-2016, 02:41 AM   #103
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I tried some tests this morning, with various lenses and various focal lengths. Camera on tripod, IR trigger with 3 sec delay, shooting boxes with text on them from 1-2 metres.

However, I was only seeing softness, not the "double image" I sometimes see hand-held. That seems to be characteristic of very complex scenes (such as vegetation), which suggests to me a focussing issue rather than purely camera shake.

I don't feel I fully understand this camera yet, but shutter shake is certainly identifiable in my tests.
I'd speculate that a good tripod would suppress the vibrations just enough that the double image doesn't show but becomes blur.