Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2016, 06:26 AM   #1

Is this fungus or haze in this older lens?

Hi guys, hopefully no one minds but this question is not specific to Pentax - the lens I am concerned with is a Summarit, but decided to see about posting in your forums b/c I have found lots of useful info here in the past. If there is a thread location more proper for this post just let me know and I'll move it or contact an admin to have them move it.

I'm having trouble identifying the trouble with this lens, been Googling and researching for a couple of days on haze, fungus, being able to tell the difference, different tests, between forums and Youtube videos I am pretty fungused out. What I see doesn't look like either to me, maybe it is related to separation? Not sure. It doesn't really look fibrous like fungi, it's not white. It looks more oily to me, and it is right behind the iris. It doesn't look bubbly or smoky though either, and doesn't show as a lightening spot when shining a light through against a dark background (apparently smoky haze should should from this as light refracted spots).

Looking straight through the lens is crystal clear, but catch it in the right angle and it shows - dead center, and then also forming a ring around that particular lens element. If it is fungal, it doesn't look like any of the many (probably a hundred or two) pictures I've looked at on Google.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 5D Mark III  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
07-26-2016, 07:10 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
to me it looks like imperfection sin the coatings
07-26-2016, 08:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Yes, those earlier Leitz coatings on the inner elements weren't designed for cleaning. They'd pretty much wipe off with a lens tissue or swab.

The front and rear surfaces were tougher, but nothing like the durability we have on newer lenses. I remember reading an old review of the then-new Pentax Super Multi Coating, where a guy at a trade show stubbed his cigarette out on the front element, then wiped it clean!
07-26-2016, 12:27 PM   #4

Original Poster
Cool, well thanks guys, and for the quick replies! I've read both that fungus should be worried about and that spores are everywhere and not to worry, so I was super paranoid about it.

Thanks again!

07-29-2016, 12:33 PM   #5

May I Jump into this thread? Pentax A110 50mm f2.8

I have this older lens that appears to have what might be fungus on the lens. Opinions appreciated. Have tried the "saliva remedy" on the outside - so far without success. Can this lens be stripped down and cleaned? If so how? Thank you
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-P1  Photo 
07-29-2016, 12:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
yeah turn off the lights!