Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2010, 10:08 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm not really one for brick wall comparisons on lenses, but if I were to go for the Pentax, it would strictly be for the extra 1mm and build quality. But, i'll admit I was iffy about the apparent AF issues with the DA. There is a reason why the Tamron is cheaper- my Tamron's filter thread snapped off the other day with a minor jolt. Price and weight is on Tamron's side though.

As for comparing slower lenses like the 17-70 & 16-45, with the noise my K200D produces at high ISO I don't think I could live without an f2.8 lens. If I had a K7 i'd definitely consider the DA 17-70.

06-19-2010, 11:11 PM   #17

@PentaxPoke:
QuoteQuote:
If build quality was based on "personal opinion" then what was the criteria used to give you an opinion about build quality? How do you evaluate how well something is built? "Build quality" is one of the most overused concepts discussed by reviewers. If reviews consist of people borrowing lenses for a short time (which most do) how can one evaluate build quality? Wouldn't you have to test it over time to see how well it holds up?
My friend who I borrowed the lens from is a professional photographer who use the 16-50mm as his main lens for more than 3 years. The lens has no issue whatsoever, unlike all the comments that I read here. Hence this is my basis for Pentax's strong build quality.

Even though I borrowed it from a friend, I personally used the lens for 2 weeks for an assignment and I had the same experience as my friend's. This further strengthen the Pentax's build quality in my eyes.

I agree that build quality is a very subjective aspect of a review. How a lens feels in your hand does not necessarily mean that others will feel the same way and hence, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

QuoteQuote:
Wouldn't you have to know something about the manufacturers record of quality control on that product? Or does it come down to "metal good, plastic bad."
Regarding quality control, I don't think a manufacturer will share any data with any reviewer and looking at other user's opinion is also unverifiable. In this case, the best way to review the product is to get your hands on it and test it out yourself. One's real hands on experience beats other people's experience that he/she can't verify.

QuoteQuote:
In what quantitative way is the 16-50 a better build than the Tamron?
See my comments above. It is a better build quality than the Tamron because it has proven to be able to withstand abuse during professional use for a long period of time.

Not to mention that I went to Harbin with the same friend that lent me the Pentax lens to Harbin. He was using the Pentax and I used the Tamron. The temperature outside was -32F.

My Tamron's couldn't autofocus when used on the extreme weather (but the autofocus worked again when I took it indoor).

My friend's Pentax on the other hand, has no autofocus problem at all when used outside. This is clearly a build quality issue. But then again, I'm talking from my own personal experience, as all reviewers do.

Hope this helps.

Luke
06-20-2010, 12:15 PM   #18
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry, I should have been more clear. The Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM. I'm not a big fan of variable aperture lenses but I think most people could live with it. Sigma makes a pretty solid product.
I don't think Tamron makes a 17-70mm. I would love to suggest the Pentax 17-70mm but.....SDM again. I've never used this lens. If you read the reviews on this site of the Pentax version, a few reviewers have had the SDM motor fail.
06-20-2010, 12:38 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Sorry, I should have been more clear. The Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM. I'm not a big fan of variable aperture lenses but I think most people could live with it. Sigma makes a pretty solid product.
Yep, a second on the Sigma 17-70. Solid and quite sharp, if you can deal with variable max. aperture. I'd replace mine only to get a constant 2.8, but I'd be wary of the Pentax 16-50, especially on the used market. I tried to replace it with the DA 17-70, but it's slow focusing and hunts a lot on my K20D (which is odd, because the DA L 18-55 kit lens off my new K-x doesn't have either problem on the K20D).

06-20-2010, 02:40 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lukedarma Quote
@PentaxPoke:
[snip]

Not to mention that I went to Harbin with the same friend that lent me the Pentax lens to Harbin. He was using the Pentax and I used the Tamron. The temperature outside was -32F.

My Tamron's couldn't autofocus when used on the extreme weather (but the autofocus worked again when I took it indoor).

My friend's Pentax on the other hand, has no autofocus problem at all when used outside. This is clearly a build quality issue. But then again, I'm talking from my own personal experience, as all reviewers do.

Hope this helps.

Luke
Ummm… could this not be as simple as the type/quantity of lube used in the lens focus mechanism? And did you try the Tamron on his camera? Might have been a camera lube issue as well?

No axe to grind, just curious. I don't plan to ever shoot @-32. Fahrenheit or Celsius.