Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-29-2016, 09:59 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by wanderer2 Quote
Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't used an adapter since my long ago film days when they didn't render IQ anywhere near a good zoom or prime lens. Have they improved to the point that a new Tamron 70-200 f2.8 plus adapter IQ would approximate that of the lenses discussed above?
Zoom plus adapter won't equal a good prime...... especially the better Pentax 300's... personally I'd wait a few months till I could afford a F*300/4.5...... or DA*300/4 (in that order)

---------- Post added 30-07-16 at 02:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yes, just as DA* or D FA*, M*300/4 or A*300/4 ($500) or A*300/2.8 ($2,500). * represents the pinnacle of Pentax design and assembly.
and F* and FA*

Last edited by noelpolar; 07-29-2016 at 10:06 PM.
07-30-2016, 06:41 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Typically zooms and adapters aren't as good as primes plus adapters but the base zoom matters. I honestly don't know about the 70-200 you mentioned. If you did that I would suggest s good 1.4x tc not the 1.7x I suggested.

The 1.7x is unique in that you can use a manual focus lens with it and it will autofocus. The way it works is odd. You focus manually until close to focused and then allow the camera to do the fine focus. It is pretty good in quality also. However my experience is on a crop sensor. I don't know how this will perform on the k-1.

Note: the 1.7x adds 1.5 stops to the lens.
07-30-2016, 11:43 AM   #18
Veteran Member

IMO Telephotos you can afford currently will probably give you the same, or worse, IQ as your current 70-200 plus a converter. The current 1.4x or the legacy 1.7x seem to give great results from what I've seen online.

Otherwise I'd wait and save a little longer to get a FA* or DA*300mm. New Lens prices tend to get better towards the holidays FYI.
07-30-2016, 01:16 PM   #19
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I would certainly recommend the SMC Pentax-A* 300mm F4.0, I've been using it for years and it always seems to deliver the results.

07-30-2016, 08:57 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I would certainly recommend the SMC Pentax-A* 300mm F4.0, I've been using it for years and it always seems to deliver the results.
That is a great lens - but not that inexpensive.
07-31-2016, 04:59 AM   #21
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That is a great lens - but not that inexpensive.
It's not that out the way, somewhere between $400 and $500.
07-31-2016, 06:07 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's not that out the way, somewhere between $400 and $500.
I haven't been able to find one at that price. Any suggestions on where to look? If I can find one at that price I will buy it. Thanks.

07-31-2016, 06:12 AM   #23
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't been able to find one at that price. Any suggestions on where to look?
A quick search on Ebay here in the UK has revealed at least two.

SMC Pentax-M* 300mm F4 Green Star K Mount Lens [Very good] from Japan (06-K80) | eBay

INEXPENSIVE!! PENTAX SMC-PENTAX-A 300mm F4 Star | eBay
07-31-2016, 06:32 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Only one of those is an "A" star, the other is an "M" star. The M version sells for less than the A version in my experience. The "A*" one listed has scratches on the glass...

"There are a few scraches in the lens,but

Photography is not influenced at all!!"

Take that with a grain of salt.
07-31-2016, 06:34 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I assume the 1.4 and 1.7X teleconvertors referred to are Pentax products? Does Pentax still make them? I can't find any on the Ricoh website. I did find a used one online labeled " Pentax Rear Converter A 1.4X-S For K-A mount Cameras" which, considering the very low price I would think to be a quite old product. As I originally mentioned, based on my distant past experience with these I'm dubious about IQ, but if I did give one a try I would want the best possible and I assume this one would not be that? What would be best? Thanks once again.
07-31-2016, 06:44 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I assume the 1.4 and 1.7X teleconvertors referred to are Pentax products? Does Pentax still make them? I can't find any on the Ricoh website. I did find a used one online labeled " Pentax Rear Converter A 1.4X-S For K-A mount Cameras" which, considering the very low price I would think to be a quite old product. As I originally mentioned, based on my distant past experience with these I'm dubious about IQ, but if I did give one a try I would want the best possible and I assume this one would not be that? What would be best? Thanks once again.
The HD DA 1.4x is not fully full frame and is a great teleconverter and is currently sold. Pentax 1.4x HD PENTAX-DA AF Rear Converter AW for K-Mount 37962

The 1.7x is an older product. It is a weird thing to describe. It is an F series product but does not offer pass through autofocus. Instead it provides its own focusing mechanism coupled to the body. You get the lens prefocused close and the use the adapter's autofocus to fine tune focus and keep moving things in focus. It is full frame. It is high quality.

The 1.4x-S and 1.4x-L Teleconverters came in regular and "A" series. The A versions pass the lens aperture info to the camera and allow the use of Av mode. They do not allow autofocus. They are very high quality. The L only fits a few lenses because of protruding lens element that goes up inside the lens you attach it to. This design is optimized for telephoto work.
07-31-2016, 06:56 AM   #27
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Only one of those is an "A" star, the other is an "M" star
In fact when you look at the images of these lenses... they are both appear to be M Stars.

But as I said a quick search turned both these up, I should specified A Star in the search criteria rather than Pentax 300mm.
07-31-2016, 07:15 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In fact when you look at the images of these lenses... they are both appear to be M Stars.

But as I said a quick search turned both these up, I should specified A Star in the search criteria rather than Pentax 300mm.
Lol. I forgot that. I had run into the scratched one and knew it was labeled wrong a day or so ago. I did not check sold listings. My experience in the past is that the A stars were almost the price of F or FA* lenses.
07-31-2016, 07:57 AM   #29
Pentaxian

You might want to look at the images here.

Click to view.
07-31-2016, 08:17 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You might want to look at the images here.

Click to view.
I need to compare my FA* 300 to my DA* 200 plus 1.4 and the 300 plus 1.4 vs 200 plus 1.7 etc.