Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
08-17-2016, 02:43 AM   #121

Hi,
did not read all the posts... anyhow

To me the last post makes also clear why Pentax might focus in the near future on "in-house" primes.
The zooms "24-70" and "70-200" are the most popular lenses. There is the biggest competition.
Who uses Pentax:
1. Fanboys aka. "Pentax is just generally the best"
2. It is as good as the competition for less bucks
3. Pentax has those nice great primes
(I am most likely 3. with a bit of 1. )

Anyhow, most Pentax users will be in group 2.
They will go also for a cheaper lens.
Why should Pentax concentrate on this market segment, if there are good alternatives. Rebranding makes sense.

According roadmap they plan to have some primes next year. Hopefully even compact "limiteds". There I see they can separate themselves from all the competitors.

Lets see what happens. If the sales pick up @Sigma I think we will see more lenses again.
The Sigma mount is just a rotated K-mount. With KAF4 the rest is just some electronic contacts.
I am optimistic for seeing Sigma lenses soon again on the horizon

Cheers
Chris

08-17-2016, 03:17 AM - 1 Like   #122
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Yeah but name brand is just that a name of brand. No value by itself. Maybe the Canon lenses are better than the Pentax? Or worse ? Likely it is lens by lens comparison to make...
...just... if the canon lens is worse, or just bad, canonist can buy zeiss, sigma, voigtlander...
If the Pentax lens is bad... no really other choice than Pentax, and only Pentax.
08-17-2016, 10:49 PM   #123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by christiandre Quote
...just... if the canon lens is worse, or just bad, canonist can buy zeiss, sigma, voigtlander...
If the Pentax lens is bad... no really other choice than Pentax, and only Pentax.
I agree and also less choice in price range. This can't be a great thing.
08-17-2016, 10:54 PM   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vespats Quote
Hi,
did not read all the posts... anyhow

To me the last post makes also clear why Pentax might focus in the near future on "in-house" primes.
The zooms "24-70" and "70-200" are the most popular lenses. There is the biggest competition.
Who uses Pentax:
1. Fanboys aka. "Pentax is just generally the best"
2. It is as good as the competition for less bucks
3. Pentax has those nice great primes
(I am most likely 3. with a bit of 1. )
I got in for 2) with the good reviews of K5 back in time, in particular high iso. But that was from review as obviously I didn't really knew what the product was. The K5 was overall a great product but had really an issue with AF. Not so good in general, terrible in low light. I got myself a K3 to fix that and it worked well.

Now what keep me pentax is certainely not 1) or 2). It is 3) And when I say 3, this is what Pentax has and the other do'nt really have: the limited. Small/light, good quality compromize. Interresting design that make the hood usable instead of a pain by doubling the lens size. I am not there for f/1.4 primes that would be huge and heavy and that any other manufacturer in the market provide.

08-18-2016, 03:13 AM   #125

Photos: Gallery
To be really honest, wanted to get back to DSLR as I bought a bridge compact prosumer (whatever) and even though it's really practical, just doesn't match the IQ of the DSLR. Had a really tight budget at the moment (max 350€) OTOH, I wasn't really sure if I can get a new DSLR at all for that money. So, I started looking at Canon 1200D and 100D (previously had 1100D and was satisfied with it for the price) and later at Nikon D3100/3200 but it was all over my budget. Then I found Pentax K-S1 for 300€ and as I always thought that Pentax is something special and "for the chosen ones" I couldn't figure what's this all about because I would never expect to see a Pentax camera for 300€, brand new, with kit lens... Probably you already know it was K-S1... Read a bit about it, investigated, compared to others and even though Christmas time was over, finally made my mind up. I think one the better choices I ever made. Later I bought the K-3 II as well, but by then I already had the Pentax DA 50mm prime, the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8, Tamron 90mm F2.8 macro and one 70-300mm Macro, also from Tamron. So, went for Pentax camera because it was better for less money. Most of my lenses are third party, can't really afford those "Limited" and top of the shelf Pentax lenses... I could find a few more lenses I would be glad to add to my backpack, but in most cases I end up looking at third party lenses even though I would like to have at least "walkaround" WR Pentax lens... Not going to happen soon... Unfortunately. Statistically, the average monthly salary in Serbia is some 400€ (majority doesn't even come close to that) and I make more than average. The only way to buy a new Pentax here is to go over to Hungary which isn't that much of a problem for me as I live half an hour from the border but ... If there was an official representative/importer/dealer/seller for Pentax in Serbia, I'm absolutely convinced that Pentax could sell a lot of cameras here, maybe not K-1, but for sure everything else would sell well as the pricing is more than fair. Then, as it could be expected, the consumer base would increase and (not talking about Serbia only, but all other places where Pentax has no official offer) and I'm sure that the number of people looking at third party lenses would grow...