Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2016, 10:39 PM   #1
Banned

Why third party lens companies are running away?

why all the third party companies are running away from K mount? All new products have focused on Sony E and Fuji X mounts in addition to Canon and Nikon....

08-02-2016, 11:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Market size.
08-02-2016, 11:14 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Very low sales, Dr-Romix.
08-02-2016, 11:15 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'd say the lack of full support by Sigma is the biggest blow to the K-mount. Tamron must have a deal with Pentax not to release K-mount lenses, since they are instead being released under the Pentax name (i.e. the 24-70, 18-270, 15-30).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-02-2016, 11:24 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Well... Take an average guy like me who has it all covered... The only thing "I think" I lack from my lens collection is something wider than 17mm. Looking at my wallet and the deep hole in the middle of it where the money is supposed to be, I don't see any chance of buying a new lens anytime soon. As a matter of fact, any lens, new or used, Pentax or third party... So, when you add up the globally small market, partially financially crippled and whatever factor is taken into account when making decisions about releasing a new line of products to the market, it might make less sense than before. Not sure how complex is to do the required mods to a newly developed lens to be usable with the K-mount, but... it's probably not just a matter of adding or not adding a screw here and there...
08-02-2016, 11:31 PM   #6

As I recall from one post where the poster had spoken to one of the 3rd party lens maker's rep (probably Sigma) the rep said it is an engineering challenge to design lens barrels that can support both the electro-mechanical aperture designs and the mechanical lever system used by Pentax. It isn't very profitable to spend the R&D time as well as perhaps compromising the designs in order to accommodate both systems. With the electro-mechanical design of the KAF4 system this may change. Even though there will be a lot of moaning of lack of support for KAF3 or lesser bodies.
08-02-2016, 11:34 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rising small companies are making K-mount lens:
Irix 15mm f2.4
Laowa, 85mm, 60mm and 12mm f2.8
Kerlee 35mm f1.2

I'm looking forward to a wide angle prime from these companies. Irix 15mm or Laowa 12mm....

08-02-2016, 11:37 PM - 1 Like   #8

Possibly also something to do with the ready availability of old K-mount lenses.

It's difficult for a third-party manufacturer to undercut the OEM with a big of second-hand market snapping at their heels.
08-03-2016, 12:10 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
As I recall from one post where the poster had spoken to one of the 3rd party lens maker's rep (probably Sigma) the rep said it is an engineering challenge to design lens barrels that can support both the electro-mechanical aperture designs and the mechanical lever system used by Pentax.
But that's also been the Nikon way.

Just an excuse by the rep, IMHO.
08-03-2016, 12:49 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
But that's also been the Nikon way.

Just an excuse by the rep, IMHO.
Reps just sell "stuff". Sometimes, if you're lucky, you'll get one whose actual interest in the product extends beyond their commission, but much of the time they're just paid to flog whatever pays.

Once you've done the design for the mount interface, the rest is just tweaking to suit the physical characteristics of the individual design. I agree that the aperture lever could be a bit of an issue if the enclosure doesn't have space for it, but not having to include a VR optical drive system for the Pentax mount version and the sheer size of many AF lenses makes me sceptical that it couldn't be readily worked around. However, I haven't designed any lenses, so I remain to be convinced otherwise.
08-03-2016, 01:49 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dr_romix Quote
why all the third party companies are running away from K mount?
A tiny dying company (Pentax) in a a dying segment (ILC) of a dying sub segment (DSLR) of a dying market (dedicated mass market single purpose cameras)?

In capitalism always follow the money.

Last edited by wildman; 08-03-2016 at 02:28 AM.
08-03-2016, 02:01 AM   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
A tiny dying company (Pentax)
Ricoh / Pentax seems to be doing pretty darned well to me
08-03-2016, 02:06 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Ricoh / Pentax seems to be doing pretty darned well to me
Perhaps - but then you are not a third party lens manufacturer.

Last edited by wildman; 08-03-2016 at 02:37 AM.
08-03-2016, 02:19 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

A tiny dying company (Pentax) in a a dying segment (ILC) of a dying sub segment (DSLR) of a dying industry
Perhaps you should look at your own signature line for a bit.
08-03-2016, 02:24 AM - 1 Like   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Perhaps - but you are not a third party lens manufacturer.
No, but I'd be surprised if those third party manufacturers aren't looking at the success of the K-1 and noticing the gaps in the modern lens product line...