Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-06-2016, 09:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Is This a K-Mount Lens?

So I came across this lens when I was hunting for some exotic glass. The seller claims this to be Sony/Minolta A mount but AFAIK this manufacturer produced PK mount lenses. Is this a K mount?

Sincerely

Last edited by butangmucat; 08-06-2016 at 09:49 AM.
08-06-2016, 09:42 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The URL for the image is not a valid address.

This popular online reference might be helpful:

SLR Lens Mount Identification Guide

Steve
08-06-2016, 09:48 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Not a K-mount -- locking slot (does that have a name?) is on the wrong side.
08-06-2016, 09:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The URL for the image is not a valid address.

This popular online reference might be helpful:

SLR Lens Mount Identification Guide

Steve
Looked it up. It seems to be a K mount but the levers seems to be a bit different. Not sure exactly what this lens is.

08-06-2016, 09:57 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
Looked it up. It seems to be a K mount but the levers seems to be a bit different. Not sure exactly what this lens is.
No, the mount pictured is Nikon F (AIS Edit: AI).

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-06-2016 at 04:47 PM.
08-06-2016, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I believe this lens is a Nikon AI not AIS because it lacks the lens identification notch that would be to the left of the locking notch.
08-06-2016, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by From1980 Quote
I believe this lens is a Nikon AI not AIS because it lacks the lens identification notch that would be to the left of the locking notch.
Right you are!

Steve

08-06-2016, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A common mis-identification of camera mounts on ebay, is when someone identifies a KAR mount (Konica - AR mount) as a K mount. They may think it is the same as a KA/R mount, the Pentax KA mount - Ricoh version. But if it is a Konica Hexanon or Hexar lens marked KAR it definitely is not compatible with Pentax.
08-09-2016, 08:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Not a K-mount -- locking slot (does that have a name?) is on the wrong side.
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
No, the mount pictured is Nikon F (AIS Edit: AI).
QuoteOriginally posted by From1980 Quote
Received the lens today, the seller was half-right. The lens is indeed a Minolta mount, but it is the older SR mount, not the A mount as advertised.

Anyway, thanks. I do have a spare adapter lying around (EDIT: the seller provided one too, but the one I have seems to be a bit better in build) and I will be posting some thoughts in the Non-Pentax forum.

Last edited by butangmucat; 08-09-2016 at 09:40 AM.
08-09-2016, 09:32 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Received the lens today, the seller was half-right. The lens is indeed a Minolta mount, but it is the older SR mount, not the A mount as advertised.

Anyway, thanks. I do have a spare adapter lying around and I will be posting some thoughts in the Non-Pentax forum.
The lens shown is clearly Nikon. The shoulder between 6:00 and 9:00 in the image is the aperture coupling for open aperture metering

If the lens received is truely Minolta then you have a second issue. The lens shown does not reflect the product.
08-09-2016, 09:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
The lens shown is clearly Nikon. The shoulder between 6:00 and 9:00 in the image is the aperture coupling for open aperture metering

If the lens received is truely Minolta then you have a second issue. The lens shown does not reflect the product.
Interesting. I am assuming that this lens was manufactured in several versions, and the picture was just a sample of some of the NOS remaining. Since when I placed the order I opted the E-mount option (which is done by the seller by including an E-mount adapter ring) and the lens works just fine in my initial tests, I guess I will be happy for now.

EDIT: the seller provided an adapter, but I have one with superior build lying around, so I did my tests using my spare adapter.

Initial hands-on: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/327...5-6-hands.html
08-09-2016, 11:28 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting. I am assuming that this lens was manufactured in several versions, and the picture was just a sample of some of the NOS remaining. Since when I placed the order I opted the E-mount option (which is done by the seller by including an E-mount adapter ring) and the lens works just fine in my initial tests, I guess I will be happy for now.

EDIT: the seller provided an adapter, but I have one with superior build lying around, so I did my tests using my spare adapter.

Initial hands-on: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/327...5-6-hands.html
it is good you are satisfied with the lens, but when a seller shows a mount image that is not of the product you are getting it is cause for concern.