Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2016, 08:56 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New life of analog era 50mm. Your choice.

Hi.

I think about a condition of 50mm lenses. Novadays "normal" is 35mm focal lenght for APS-C. But a lots of peoples have a few 50mm. For example I have a one Super Tak, three Pentax, two Zeiss Jena and one west Zeiss. But I really don't know which is the best. Therefore I propose to discussions about this problem. Without a pixel clinical comparison. Only with a experiences from normal use.

My number one is a Carl Zeiss Planat t* with f/1.7 (Contax/Yashica) because this is a ultra sharp 50mm, with a fine colors rendering. Good lens for a daily photos.

Number two is Pentax K 50 f/1.4 - glass and metal contruction, specific color, and it is also timeless.

I must a buy a one 50mm for my girlfriend to her camera. Let's start ...
Which lens you choose?

Michal.

08-07-2016, 09:23 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cieslikowski Quote
Hi.

I think about a condition of 50mm lenses. Novadays "normal" is 35mm focal lenght for APS-C. But a lots of peoples have a few 50mm. For example I have a one Super Tak, three Pentax, two Zeiss Jena and one west Zeiss. But I really don't know which is the best. Therefore I propose to discussions about this problem. Without a pixel clinical comparison. Only with a experiences from normal use...

I must a buy a one 50mm for my girlfriend to her camera. Let's start ...
Which lens you choose?

Michal.
The F50mm f1.7. Inexpensive, sharp, works for nearly any camera.

-Eric
08-07-2016, 09:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hmm, do you mean which lens do I choose from the ones you have, or any 50mm lens?

I only have 3, as I find they don't work well for my type of photography. When I do use a 50,it's usually for a particular purpose. I use the CZJ Tessar for B&W, and Helios 44-2 for the greens and swirly bokeh, and M50 1.7 for a wide-ish portrait photography. I would like to get a faster 50 at some point, probably the K 1.4... Or K 55... Do you know what kind of photography she likes?
08-07-2016, 09:33 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

What mount?

Steve

08-07-2016, 09:51 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

First important question: what camera is she using?

Second: how comfortable is she with using manual glass?
08-07-2016, 09:51 AM   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What mount?

Steve
I was thinking this; or what camera?
08-07-2016, 09:51 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
Hmm, do you mean which lens do I choose from the ones you have, or any 50mm lens?
IgorZ from any 50mm lens. Tessar is a very good macro lens. If you think about a silver finish version, is a small and little.

F 50mm f/1.7 is a fine idea. But in Poland is a one of "rarest" lens for Pentax. Faster you buy a 50mm from A, M or K. And FA. FA f/1.7 is ultra rare I seen a one or two in the last two years. I don't know why Price isn't a determinant in my opinion.

Pentax K mount, modified for PK or M42.
To K10D and sometimes to my K-3.

She generally can use a manual focus lenses.

Last edited by cieslikowski; 08-07-2016 at 09:57 AM.
08-07-2016, 09:52 AM   #8

Lucky girlfriend but it all depends on how much you love her. ....

Long timer SMC (K) 55 1.8 - manual but with that much loved extra reach.

Old faithful FA 50 1.7 - Screw drive autofocus - based on the excellent standard 1.7 that came out initially with the M series, then A series; M was my first affair with a Pentax lens

Happy-go-lucky DA 50 f1.8 - Screw drive autofocus - new babe on the block, cheap as chips. Seems to work well in FF, designed for digital sensors.

True love = DA* 55 f1.4 - SDM autofocus designed for digital and although not 'designed for FF' it seems to work well. With this lens you will give her a little more length which I'm sure will be appreciated.

If your girlfriend wants to get up close and personal, consider the M 50 f4 macro or better still the A 50 f2.8, for that extra intimacy invest in extension tubes.

I'm afraid I stick with Pentax lenses, so cannot offer further advice on other manufacturers that may tempt you - or her.

Wishing you a happy and fruitful relationship,

08-07-2016, 10:01 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One of just a couple lenses I would like to pick up in the next year or so would be a Helios 44, either an early 44-2 for extra crazy bokeh, or a 44K-4 for its native K-mount and updated coatings. I already have an M 50 1.4 so that was my pick out of the 50's that are out there. If I were to do it again, I might go with an F or FA 1.7 for better across-the-frame performance and the ease of autofocus. But I'm not tempted enough to sell my existing M.
08-07-2016, 10:02 AM   #10
edo
Forum Member

DA*55mm 1.4 is the best for réal life shooting. Super sharp and contrasty. It bests all Pentax normal for pixel peeping. One caveat is the extreme corner. But its pointless and you Will never notice it for réal photography
08-07-2016, 12:22 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by edo Quote
DA*55mm 1.4 is the best for réal life shooting. Super sharp and contrasty. It bests all Pentax normal for pixel peeping. One caveat is the extreme corner. But its pointless and you Will never notice it for réal photography
I think about F series.

About a Helios - I have a allergy for this lens. Really. A lots years ago when I have a my first this is my first prime. I have a "better" 44-7 on M42 camera. And really I hated this. Unsharp, poor coating. When I bought a MC Pancolar 50mm I have a one think "Now I'am on a photography heaven" KMZ lenses or other Russian have a big problems with quality. You can have a pair - and one is ultra sharp second is trash.
08-07-2016, 12:41 PM   #12
edo
Forum Member

I had a lot of normal lenses for various system, leica m, m43 etc... I have Pentax m42 50 1.4, 55 1.8, Pentax K 50 1.4, K55 1.8, Pentax A all of them 2.0, 1.7, 1.4, 1.2...! Pentax FA 50 1.4, FA50 1.7 too!
I have them all for collecting purpose. It's silly but it hurts no one!

Frankly they are all great, regardless of price, optically the 2.0 is 85% of the 1.2!
Now the greatest bargain I think is the FA50 1.4, it's plenty cheap and produce stunning photo.

If you have the money DA55 is the best though.

I think auto focus, exif info is the way to go for fast editing.