Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2016, 04:17 PM - 3 Likes   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
It'd be nice to own the DFA line of lenses,all reports are very good....but it certainly depends what you shoot and whether the K1 user can justify that cost.
If you're gonna buy a Ferrari, get some good tires

08-09-2016, 04:31 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Thanks, that's good to know. The DA35 f/2.4 is one of my favourite lenses on APS-C... nice to hear it can extend its usefulness to full frame

Yeah, I have both the DA35 and FA35 f2 and at first glance wouldn't be able to tell pics apart from each other.
08-09-2016, 04:32 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Roadrunnerdeluxe Quote
Hi y'all,

I am sure this has been discussed elsewhere. I am currently selling my APS-C lenses to fund the Pentax 24-70 since I bought the K-1.

I'm interested in your opinion to go with a set of primes instead after getting a used SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F1.7 for a great price which is just beautiful on the K-1.

What's your take and what lenses would you get for the K-1?

Thanks!
You already got a really nice prime with the FA 50 1.7. I got one in excellent condition and am using it on my K-3. I like the idea of a mix of primes and a complementing zoom. A compact prime is so much easier to carry around then a large zoom. You may want to consider a compact used 28mm F2.8 prime and with that and your 50 mm you can look into a zoom to complement the primes. I have an F series 28 mm F2.8 from my film days which should give me a good start if I go with the K-1 sometime up the road. The F 28mm and FA 50 mm are almost exactly the same size and use the same 49 mm filters.
08-09-2016, 04:34 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
If you're gonna buy a Ferrari, get some good tires
The K50 matches my Ferrari, the tyres it came with are pretty good too!

08-10-2016, 03:20 PM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
I fear you are right! The fast primes for bokeh artistry and the 24-70 for landscape and architecture work. I like the versatility and weatherproofing of the 24-70 and am absolutely in love with the bokeh of my newly acquired 50 1.7.
I'll have to get them all..

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I'm a Prime guy myself on the K-3 but the new D FA 24-70 and the D FA 70-200 are so good on the K-1 I don't see the need for a prime unless you're doing specialty work. I'd still keep my FA 31 though and probably add the FA 77 just for good measure So you need at least 3 more lenses besides the DFA 24-70. Better start saving now.
08-14-2016, 11:17 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
My take is that fast primes made sense on APSC for additional resolution and iso, but on K1 having the 24-70 that is sharp wide open, I don't see the "need" of any prime. I set the 24-70 @ 50mm and it's as good or better then shooting primes on APSC.
biz-engineer is right. In particular, not all lenses are equals.

As an example staying on APSC, the 50-135 was much better than the FA50 f/1.4 at apperture they have in common and the FA77 was much better than the other two. This from my personal experience and you'll find people saying the FA50 fantastic and the 50-135 superb. Still I am much more satisfied with the FA77.

Just comparing primes to zooms isn't going to be very informative. Even "DFA" as a whole category would be mislading and by the way also include some moderately prices primes like the DFA100 macro (that is great by the way).

As if zoom are enough for an FF, only you can say, but I would not expect the same quality from an FA50 f/1.7 or DA35 f/2.4 than from 24-70 f/2.8, an FA31 or FA77. Would you get some Zeiss or Leica primes (beware of the price), this would still be an entirely different world.

DA35 as an example sharp from wide open but never become extremely sharp. sigma 17-50 beat it staying on APSC once closed down. The rendering is nice but not fantastic.

Depending of your priorities (pure sharpness, color rendering, bokeh, conveniance of zoom...) you'll have very different preferences.
08-14-2016, 12:22 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Not that I ever have to worry about owning a K-1, but here's a kit I've put together in my head; FA 20 f2.8, DA 40 Limited HD, any one of the Pentax 50 f1.4's, Helios 44-2 with appropriate adapter that allows for infinity focus, and Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro. Something WR and zoom might be nice, so I'd wait around for a 28-105 on the used market to show up but I wouldn't be in a rush for one. I'd probably go out and buy them in that order as well.