Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2016, 02:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Repair or Refund?

I recently purchased a refurbished lens from one of the top aftermarket lens producers. I took test shots at three focal lengths and 5 different aperture settings. Very few of the test shots were acceptable. The shots were a little soft with severe softness on the left side of most shots (decentered?). I did not notice any front- or back-focusing, it just seems to be lousy image quality. The softness did not clear-up much as I stopped down. The manufacturer has suggested that I send it in for repair rather than get a refund. I asked for a different copy but none were available since this lens is discontinued. I'd really like this lens to work out, but I'm skeptical that they will fix the lens adequately. After all, it didn't just come off the assembly line, it was refurbished. I assume that means that it met their current specs for quality. I had previously sent a different lens with similar problems to one of their approved repair centers and I couldn't see a difference after repair. And that lens was better than the current lens. I appreciate any advice on this matter.

08-09-2016, 03:00 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess that really depends on which lens it is If you really want it, I'd go for the repair- worst case, they'll fail and then you can get your money back as a last resort.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-09-2016, 03:19 PM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I would go for the repair if you really want that model of lens. A manufacturer refurb could simply mean that it was an open box return that was briefly checked as working then re-boxed and sold. A repair, on the other hand, should include re-collimation and adjustments to resolving power. I'm not sure which lens manufacturer you're referring to, but I got one of my lenses back from Tamron's UK distributor and they specifically listed both of those tasks on the service worksheet.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-09-2016 at 11:10 PM.
08-09-2016, 05:32 PM   #4
CDW
Site Supporter

Ditto what BigMackCam said. Having worked for a large electronics manufacturer in my prior life, I can tell you that bench techs making starvation wages aren't always trained to the depth necessary to correct problems and the result is a re-pack that isn't repaired.

08-09-2016, 06:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the input. I guess I don't really have much to lose by trying the repair service.