Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2016, 01:59 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Polyvalance normally is a chemistry term and I have not seen it used in English for photographic reasons. What does it mean in this context?
polyvalent - definition of polyvalent in English from the Oxford dictionary

Definition 3:

Having many different functions, forms, or facets: 'the polyvalent character of his thought

Last edited by Nicolas06; 08-15-2016 at 02:08 AM.
08-15-2016, 02:11 AM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Obviously I don't agree with 100% of what Nicolas says, but his English is better than my French. I won't begrudge any choice of words.

My level is not even that of the Peter Sellers character in The Pink Panther films. :-)
08-15-2016, 06:20 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Obviously I don't agree with 100% of what Nicolas says, but his English is better than my French. I won't begrudge any choice of words.

My level is not even that of the Peter Sellers character in The Pink Panther films. :-)
Me either. I had looked and three sites I checked did not show that definition. I think it must be emerging.
08-15-2016, 07:09 AM   #34
edo
Forum Member

I have the FA*85 and I believe is very similar to the sigma and I agree with everything so far said here. It's big and beautiful, but it's really a nice piece of glass which is made for the pro who is doing portrait for a living. I think the size is actually an advantage over the 77!
So I would say go with Sigma for that reason and for the extra light.

Or a cheap alternative is the DA70, cheap and sharp!

Last edited by edo; 08-15-2016 at 07:16 AM.
08-15-2016, 08:07 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Me either. I had looked and three sites I checked did not show that definition. I think it must be emerging.
I understand now that is would be more common to use the term versatile. In french we use both.

Still I didn't invent this oxford dictionnary link it was the first link for "english defintion polyvalent" in google and I believe the oxford dictionnary to be well respected... So even if it is quite uncommon, apparently this meaning exist in english too.

While I thank you both for your helping me using the proper words, I don't think that the most important matter in this thread...
08-15-2016, 09:19 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
I understand now that is would be more common to use the term versatile. In french we use both.

Still I didn't invent this oxford dictionnary link it was the first link for "english defintion polyvalent" in google and I believe the oxford dictionnary to be well respected... So even if it is quite uncommon, apparently this meaning exist in english too.

While I thank you both for your helping me using the proper words, I don't think that the most important matter in this thread...
No I agree with you. I just didn't follow what you meant at first. It's a good use of the word and I agree not the focus of the thread. I appreciate your taking the time to try to explain it. The addition of a fast 85 to a set of 2.8 zooms does make sense for someone needing the extra thin DOF on occasion. Personally I still like my FA 77 better but I'm shooting crop.
08-15-2016, 11:29 PM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

The addition of a fast 85 to a set of 2.8 zooms does make sense for someone needing the extra thin DOF on occasion. Personally I still like my FA 77 better but I'm shooting crop.
This is because in this context the OP is pro or willing to be a pro.

On the opposite, to me if you are not a pro, getting that FA77 that will provide 98% of the performance a 85mm f/1.4 for 1/3 of size/weight and that also come with very interresting rendering is likely a better solution. For sure I would not want to get a 85mm f/1.4 behemoh for my personal use.