Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2016, 08:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Will a broken aperture stop a DA lens from being detected by the body?

Recently acquired a Da* 200, My K5 doesn't believe it exists.

Tried all the usual tricks like cleaning the contacts, resetting firmware etc etc no dice.

I do note however that the aperture blade are currently not all withdrawn, it's like it is set at f3.5~ (if that control is even allowed by the body) either way they are not completely withdrawn. (I confess I'm not sure if thats just a DA* 200 thing?)

I also note the aperture arm that should catch the camera moves freely and stops down smoothly if you operate by hand.

Say for some reason the leaver had not been returned to the wide open position, or was stuck slightly closed, would that confuse the camera enough to just mount it like a M / K / Tak / no lens present, even assuming the lens contacts were indeed intact.

I bought this lens with an SDM failure knowing I'd have to connect it up and disable the SDM. I can't imagine how that will be possible if I can't get the camera to recognise it...

Hopefully yours.
Daniel

---------- Post added 08-12-16 at 01:37 PM ----------

Oh I should have said. I have a few older film bodies. (Mz-7, PZ) I'll see if I can get some response from the aperture on those things later tonight.

But otherwise weird right :S

---------- Post added 08-12-16 at 02:20 PM ----------

Failing everything... anyone got a schematic / workshop manual / link to someone who opened one up for the Da* 200?

08-11-2016, 10:06 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try @dcshooter, he may know.
08-11-2016, 11:09 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It does not sound very encouraging.
I took some quick photos of my DA*200, while mounted on the camera you should not see any blades.
Did you ask the previous owner if he/she did try to fix SDM or hack the firmware?
The problem most likely is with contacts not with the aperture link.
Try to enable "Using Aperture Ring" on K-5IIs ( do not have K-5 any more) it is in Menu C4 item 27 and see if that will make camera to recognise the lens.
good luck!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 
08-11-2016, 11:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It turns out this lens may have been damaged, sold, returned and resold again to me. I'll wait for the seller to wake up before I get to angry.. But yes not encouraging.

And thank you for that. Yes something is a miss. I'll keep you all posted.

08-12-2016, 03:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Being impatient, I opened the mount back and found the return spring disconnected from the return post, hiking it back up the aperture now returns to the closed position!

The K5 still wont read it however, although now it response like any old K, M lens, moving the power switch to the right will stop it down all the way.

Pulling out the MZ-7, the screw drive wont autofocus, and the aperture position is just continually flashing 2.8. Now I suppose that's partially promising. unless of course 2.8 is just a default point. Does it get that information of the aperture arm inside or the lens connectors? Perhaps I best dig up the manual for the MZ-7 and see what that means. The MZ will fire when the autofocus is switched off, and the aperture blade are returned out to f22 it seems, all the while whist the LCD is flashing 2.8.

BOO!

---------- Post added 08-12-16 at 08:43 PM ----------

could it now be just a failed firmware update? Does that ruin lenses?

Last edited by tromboads; 08-12-2016 at 03:48 AM.
08-12-2016, 04:49 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So more plot twists,

PK-teather reports it as an M-K lens attached, but loading the debug menu in prep for making changes to the lens rom, well it spat a file out!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B54h0BnJ-q35WDBkQVh3MG1OVHM

Now there are lots of FF and 00's in there. What are the changes this is a generic rom the camera spits when there is no lens attached.. Wait i can test for that.. BRB.

In the mean time.. someone want to send me their LENSEEP.LNS from a DA* 200mm

---------- Post added 08-12-16 at 09:54 PM ----------

Oh they are different! Without a lens you get a file filled with FF's

Right..

So the camera is talking to the lens on some level, aperture arm moves freely as it should.... Perhaps previous owner did just mess up the lenseep.lns. Some one send me yours :P

Because every day we save a pentax is a good day.

---------- Post added 08-12-16 at 09:57 PM ----------

It's ok, i found this.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/251464-coll...-lensroms.html

What could possibly go wrong!

---------- Post added 08-12-16 at 10:09 PM ----------

using the lenseep from the link above, i now have aperture control back on the K5 and the screw drive autofocus works on the Mz-7! (omg it's slow )

Right now to apply the 80 edits and we'll see if the k5 is happy again.

---------- Post added 08-12-16 at 10:30 PM ----------

Well i don't mean to gloat, but I'm fantastic.

Da* with Serial 9031726, Now works in noisy noisy screw drive focus.

YOU WIN

---------- Post added 08-12-16 at 10:39 PM ----------

This is the best thread ever.

Last edited by tromboads; 08-12-2016 at 08:14 AM.
08-12-2016, 05:18 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Be aware that using a different lensrom file is likely to result in some type of focus misalignment... However if you kept the old one and you can compare them you may be able to determine what is broken in the original file.

08-12-2016, 05:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Have kept the old one (attached above), but it's vastly different. Well there are more complete blocks simply filled with FF.. I'll see how I go, and thank you for the warning.

#edit I must go find that rom hacking section now I have a taste for it.

Last edited by tromboads; 08-12-2016 at 06:06 PM.
08-14-2016, 10:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Below is a heavy crop, Centre point focus is doing ok

08-15-2016, 01:00 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

great, happy end!
08-15-2016, 06:56 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
Below is a heavy crop, Centre point focus is doing ok
You may be lucky. It is my impression this affects focus accuracy over multiple distances - keep an eye on it.