Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2008, 10:59 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Fa 31 or da 40 and da 70

I'm deciding between whether to buy Fa 31mm ltd. or da 40mm ltd. and 70mm ltd. and wanted your opinions

P.s. are da 40 and 70 ff?
Is much difference between f/1.8 and f/2.8 when it comes to brightness and dof?

07-22-2008, 11:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can't help you there, I have the 43 and 70 and am happy.

In testing with film, the 70 is full frame. And so's the 40, though of course I don't have direct experience, but others have vouched for it.

The 70 2.4 I find to be fast enough, and the DOF at the focal length is decent - not razor thin but useful.
07-22-2008, 12:32 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I have the 31 and absolutely love it. If I only take one lens out with me (and if I expect to be indoors at all), I'll take my 31. Not only will you appreciate the low light ability and the shallow depth of field (when you want it), but the resolution is fantastic! slightly wider than a 'normal' lens, which I also like.

A 40mm lens and especially a 70mm might be too narrow a field of view, but it really depends on what you are looking for. I also have the 77mm and love it when I'm doing portraits.

Think about what you want to use the lens for and maybe prioritize it's uses if they are really varied. That'll help you settle on a focal length and eventually a lens...

Or make like me and just keep going through LBA until you almost have one of eveything (ugh).
07-22-2008, 12:45 PM   #4
Forum Member

There's Nikon SP rangefinder model. Everybody, especially old timers, loves the camera so much so that Nikon decided to manufacture 2500 units of limited editions of this model a couple of years ago. I've seen ads asking for the camera between $5Kto $8K each. It's a lovely unit but outdated even by film camera standards.
Nikon Rangefinder SP Black 2005

The point here is if you buy something which is old & "limited" you are probably paying extra because it is more of a souvenir.

If you want a good lens with high price/performance ratio then the DA 40mm

07-22-2008, 01:36 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Can't decide which one of those three??? Pick up the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 and have all of them in one package.

c[_]
07-22-2008, 01:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Effi Quote
I'm deciding between whether to buy Fa 31mm ltd. or da 40mm ltd. and 70mm ltd. and wanted your opinions

P.s. are da 40 and 70 ff?
Is much difference between f/1.8 and f/2.8 when it comes to brightness and dof?
here is my opinion

figure out what you want then buy what you need.

the 3 lenses you listed are so far apart in terms of price and application, that its silly to even ask for a comparison.

its like walking into a food market and asking the meat vendor guy if you should buy a tractor trailer, a compass or a fishing rod.

seriously! :ugh:
07-22-2008, 09:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Well, I have been concentrating on using my own Fa 31 ltd which has been shameless neglected for a very long time.

There is more to this wonderful lens. I am discovering a lot more "problems" associated with this lens used under various settings. However, these problems could be used effectively to the best advantages during composition.

I think it is good to stick to a lens with good reputation and discover whether the lens is compatible with your photography style. If all you need is sharp edges everywhere in a photo, buy a cheap sigma zoom with EX or DC written on it. Any modern Sigma lens will give you sharp images.
07-23-2008, 05:39 AM   #8

The DA40 is my mainstay lens, primarily because of its diminutive size. It's with me all the time. That said, the only gripe that I have is that firstly, the focal length feels too restrictive at times, which can be a good thing in that it forces you to be a bit more creative in framing. Secondly, f/2.8 isn't necessarily as fast as it can be. For most interior shots, I still am tempted to reach for my A50/1.7. If you shoot a great deal of available light or interior shots, the FA31 might be a better option.

AFAIK, the DA40 have been used on film cameras with little vignetting issues. Not sure about the DA70.

Roentarre, can you please elaborate on some of the problems you've encountered with your FA31?

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Well, I have been concentrating on using my own Fa 31 ltd which has been shameless neglected for a very long time.

There is more to this wonderful lens. I am discovering a lot more "problems" associated with this lens used under various settings. However, these problems could be used effectively to the best advantages during composition.

07-23-2008, 12:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

An interesting perspective on the "business case". I have the 31 and love it. I also have the 43 and 77 which I also love so I guess that's my position. Faced with the question as you've phrased it, I'm not sure what I'd do -- probably get the 40 and 70 and save up for the 31 (and 21). Dave