Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
08-16-2016, 03:50 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I've Had Enough

Yep, it's enough already. Another AF failure on my DA* 16-50 just past the warranty period and within 18 months. At least this time the manual focus is not locked up....yet. For what I paid in repairs, plus the cost of a third repair, I could have bought a new DA* 16-50. I won't pay to ship it to Precision again or pay for another repair. I don't blame Precision but I do blame Ricoh Imaging USA. I won't recommend Pentax gear to anyone from here on out. Too bad, so sad.

08-16-2016, 04:09 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yup, those old SDM lenses are desperately in need of an upgrade. They can't compare to the modern DC ones. With that in mind, I don't see any reason not to get the Sigma 17-50mm (at $399 even) unless you want the weather sealing.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-16-2016, 04:12 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Yep, it's enough already. Another AF failure on my DA* 16-50 just past the warranty period and within 18 months. At least this time the manual focus is not locked up....yet. For what I paid in repairs, plus the cost of a third repair, I could have bought a new DA* 16-50. I won't pay to ship it to Precision again or pay for another repair. I don't blame Precision but I do blame Ricoh Imaging USA. I won't recommend Pentax gear to anyone from here on out. Too bad, so sad.
Sorry to hear of your frustration, and most of us do empathize with you. Modern technology, as advanced as it is in most capabilities, still needs a long way to go in the reliability field. The price of complexity it seems. Perhaps this why some of us take refuge with a simple film camera at times.
08-16-2016, 04:20 PM   #4

I had similar experience too. Sent to Precision twice to get DA* 16-50 repaired, but no use.

08-16-2016, 04:32 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yup, those old SDM lenses are desperately in need of an upgrade. They can't compare to the modern DC ones. With that in mind, I don't see any reason not to get the Sigma 17-50mm (at $399 even) unless you want the weather sealing.
If I had known that the AF would fail twice within 18 months I would likely have gotten the Sigma or even a Tamron version especially if they had weather sealing. The latest Sigmas and Tamrons are really fast focusing...even on a Pentax body. Oh well.
08-16-2016, 04:36 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's always this option (if it's SDM failure): https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/311609-sal...nversions.html
08-16-2016, 04:48 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Regardless of what Ricoh/Pentax says about this lens, it's not if, but when it fails.

Time and time again they fail. We talk and talk here on the forums about them failing.
The design is wrong. No one has a copy of this lens that has not failed or won't someday.
Those folks that have one of these lenses that has not failed, have probably not used it that much, so years have gone by giving a false sense of "I got a good one".

Go get it converted to screw drive and never worry about it again.

08-16-2016, 04:49 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Paul and Lauren, the screw drive on the DA* 16-50 is extremely noisy. I'd rather just manually focus the lens.
08-16-2016, 04:55 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Paul and Lauren, the screw drive on the DA* 16-50 is extremely noisy. I'd rather just manually focus the lens.
True, but don't feel too sad. (right?)

It's not too bad...at least for the trade-off of the fantastic image quality.
With everything that *is* bad about this lens, I own two and they are my favorite lenses.

At the end of the day, I've forgotten how pissed I was when my first one failed.
The next day I converted it, and my other one to screw drive, and I have never looked back.
08-16-2016, 05:00 PM   #10
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Very disappointing and frustrating for you Steve. Hope this saga ends with some sort of silver lining. Good luck.
08-16-2016, 05:06 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Just convert the d##n thing to screwdrive, sell it to someone else with full and open disclosure, and be done with it. We will be waiting with bated breath to buy the rest of your Pentax gear that you are so obviously sick of, then don't let the door hit your back end on the way out.
08-16-2016, 05:09 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd get it converted to have AF available for times the noise wouldn't be an issue - street shooting, family pics, etc. Then you can always switch to MF for when stealth is required.
08-16-2016, 05:33 PM   #13
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Just convert the d##n thing to screwdrive, sell it to someone else with full and open disclosure, and be done with it. We will be waiting with bated breath to buy the rest of your Pentax gear that you are so obviously sick of, then don't let the door hit your back end on the way out.

WOW pathdoc. Calm blue ocean, calm blue ocean !!! We must be allowed to " vent " here. He is angry about his lens, as we all would be. I did not like the comment about not recommending Pentax to others either. But I am pretty sure that was only his frustration talking. ( I hope !! )
08-16-2016, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #14
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
That was a bit over the top.
08-16-2016, 05:47 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
How much has it cost Pentax in reputation, good will, lost sales, users trowing in the towel and moving to another brand, potential new users hearing about the woes and going elsewhere. etc. ? Yes, the 16-50 came out under the Hoya era, but this whole SDM fiasco is the gift that just keeps giving, and giving and giving - endlessly.... It's been 9 years of bad new now.