Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2016, 07:17 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Location: Out in the sticks,Suffolk,UK(or SE Asia,if I'm lucky!)
Photos: Gallery
Wise words from Glenng,only you can decide if you can afford the extra expense of three lenses as opposed to one and put up with the changes to reach FL at the limits for that extra bit of IQ when the 16-85 can do most of it in one,albeit slightly bigger,package.

08-18-2016, 09:01 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I personally went the Limited route. For most of what I shoot (lots of indoors, museums, etc.), 2/3 stop faster is a significant difference, and I'd prefer the extra 200g to be in a small bag or pocket rather than hanging off the camera all day. The actual difference is more than 200g, since the 15Ltd is in the bag too, but again, it's not "in action" weight. The DA 18-135 is my outdoor walkaround lens; I already had it when the 16-85 came out, and the tradeoffs (slightly wider & shorter FL range, larger, heavier, better IQ) didn't justify switching for me. The 20-40 has eased out the Tamron 17-50 "workhorse" as my indoor walkaround lens; it's not constant f/2.8, but the small size and silent focusing are worth it (~most of the time).
08-18-2016, 09:20 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Much good advice here, for me and others; thanks all!

Many factors in play, including budget - otherwise this would be a 'what to put on my K-1' thread. That suggests that a more do-all 16-85 makes the most sense. Seldom is "most sensible" the option I choose but that's a me problem not a kit problem.

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I personally went the Limited route. For most of what I shoot (lots of indoors, museums, etc.), 2/3 stop faster is a significant difference, and I'd prefer the extra 200g to be in a small bag or pocket rather than hanging off the camera all day. The actual difference is more than 200g, since the 15Ltd is in the bag too, but again, it's not "in action" weight.
This nails my feelings quite well. The on-camera, around-neck weight is important to me, and 16-20mm is not a common range for my shots so being in a pocket or bag is reasonable. My decision is not imminent, the K50 and other lenses are sufficient for now.. but planning is something I do even when they rarely bear fruit.
08-18-2016, 11:33 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
My decision is not imminent, the K50 and other lenses are sufficient for now.. but planning is something I do even when they rarely bear fruit.
You do your planning now so you can act instantly when the opening presents itself.

Of course Murphy's Law suggests that a new lens with enticing specifications will be released or announced just prior to this happening, or somewhere between the money becoming available and you having the opportunity to spend it.

08-18-2016, 08:56 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You have a hidden camera here pathdoc, or just doing some highly-educated guessing?
08-22-2016, 06:15 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
sooner than I'd planned II :p

As noted elsewhere, I felt compelled to order the K-3ii sooner than expected in order to ensure I received a silver body. Only slightly annoying to get it four months sooner than planned but I'll manage.

Well now for part 2.
I've been watching the deals on both 16-85 and 20-40 (silver only) just in case a rare deal came through at a manageable price.
To my very mild disappointment Adorama put a demo 20-40 up before anyone showed up with a 16-85 so it's signed, sealed, silver - and mine!

While the 16-85 would have simplified my future purchases (essentially to zero) the 20-40 and my very decent 50-200wr will serve nicely, with a silver 15 on my futures list. Given these last two deals were far earlier than planned, that means the silver will be next week and not next year as it should be - but what the heck. And we'll know soon how decent my 50-200 really is once it send photons to so many more pixels

Once everything is marked as shipped I can sell the K50 I picked up recently; maybe some nice buyer will offer me $600 for it and make all of this easier?
Won't hold my breath on that one..

Thanks so much for all the great advice - and it's sure nice to have two marvelous lenses for each of us to ponder in our own circumstances!

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 08-22-2016 at 06:22 PM.
08-22-2016, 09:33 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The other real temptation was that the dFA 28-105 is available at Adorama for less than either of the lens I sought. That's a pretty tempting 'used' lens with possibilities!
08-30-2016, 10:56 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's a pretty tempting 'used' lens with possibilities!
On a crop sensor body, it would act as a 42-158, sort of an all-singing, all-dancing, all-automated and slightly 'stretched' successor to this blast from the past, but without the benefit of constant maximum aperture. And that's the thing with all the 28-to-anything zooms; great on full-frame and film, but a little tighter at the wide end on crop than they were designed for. To what extent this is a problem is a style issue for the individual user.

10-29-2016, 05:04 AM   #24

Photos: Gallery
As noted elsewhere, I felt compelled to order the K-3ii sooner than expected in order to ensure I received a silver body. Only slightly annoying to get it four months sooner than planned but I'll manage.

Well now for part 2.
I've been watching the deals on both 16-85 and 20-40 (silver only) just in case a rare deal came through at a manageable price.
To my very mild disappointment Adorama put a demo 20-40 up before anyone showed up with a 16-85 so it's signed, sealed, silver - and mine!

While the 16-85 would have simplified my future purchases (essentially to zero) the 20-40 and my very decent 50-200wr will serve nicely, with a silver 15 on my futures list. Given these last two deals were far earlier than planned, that means the silver will be next week and not next year as it should be - but what the heck. And we'll know soon how decent my 50-200 really is once it send photons to so many more pixels

Once everything is marked as shipped I can sell the K50 I picked up recently; maybe some nice buyer will offer me $600 for it and make all of this easier?
Won't hold my breath on that one..

Thanks so much for all the great advice - and it's sure nice to have two marvelous lenses for each of us to ponder in our own circumstances!
How has the 20-40 panned out?