Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
11-03-2016, 02:46 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am beginning to worry a tiny bit given that someone in Australia got their lens in mid October and I am yet to receive mine. Anyone else in Canada or the US ordered one and can give me reassurance (or cause for despair)?

11-03-2016, 05:06 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I am beginning to worry a tiny bit given that someone in Australia got their lens in mid October and I am yet to receive mine. Anyone else in Canada or the US ordered one and can give me reassurance (or cause for despair)?

I'm sure it'll arrive safe and sound, the Lomography people seem legit to me. I'm starting to think that me receiving mine was just some sort of abberation in the production schedule given that the original ETA was December.
11-04-2016, 02:37 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I've ordered film from them in the past and I trust them; it's the postal system I'm actually more worried about! They made much in a press release a short while ago about how early release was happening, so I'm hoping it's not meandering hopelessly within the USPS or Canada Post labyrinth.
11-10-2016, 07:33 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I received a shipping notice today. Shipped from Rensselaer, New York, via Fedex Ground, with a November 16th arrival estimate to Dallas. I'm very excited!

11-10-2016, 07:39 PM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Haven't heard about mine yet, but I'm sure I'll be coming soon!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-11-2016, 07:16 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Update: order advisory came today, ETA mid next week. Yay!
11-13-2016, 01:35 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I finally got to play with this yeaterday

As a little teaser for pathdoc, Adam and any others who have ordered this lens - I finally got out yesterday to have a bit of a play with it. Alas, there are no photo's because A.. frankly they're rubbish, and B. I'm not sure how to upload them here either. But anyway.........as you can imagine it's a completely different way of taking photo's, but it's actually quite a lot of fun. Naturally it forces you to slow right down to take a shot (not a bad thing to my mind). I really like the bokeh and effects that can be had by trying out the different aperture plates - there's plenty of room for experimentation. My eyes aren't what they used to be and I had trouble getting correct focus but that's certainly not the lens' fault. The construction is rock solid, it's heavy and it looks really cool on the camera!! Metering is straight forward using the green button and then making any adjustments you want. In fact I think this lens could be a perfect candidate to live permanently on a K30 or K50 that has suffered the aperture block failure. I think my K30 is beginning to fail so that may be the fate awaiting my copy.

So in a nutshell, it's probably unlike any lens you've used before and there's a learning curve, but it's fun. If I can upload photo's direct to the forum without having to go through flickr etc then I'll go through the ones I took and see if there are any that are usable.

11-16-2016, 06:44 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

IT'S HERE!

I need a bit of time to find a suitable experimental subject for it. Pics (APS-C) I took of my microscope and office wall (which I can't show because of confidential stuff pinned up behind the scope) indicate that it's almost unusable at f/2.9, starts getting acceptable at 5.6, okay at 8 and probably as good as any modern design by f/16. It flares horribly at wider f/stops when flash is used.
11-16-2016, 04:01 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The lens arrived this afternoon. It's quite brassy and sassy on my K-1, and heavy. Took a couple of quick shots just for fun so no serious criticism, please! I'm looking forward to trying some portrait shots soon.

Here is a link to my Flickr folder containing three shots, two with the F2.9 plate, one with F8. If you look at the largest version of the "vinegar F8" image at high magnification you can clearly see the offset lithography dots but not on the "vinegar F2.9" image due to the softness (as designed). I used Live View with 10x zoom for focusiing, with the vinegar bottle shots on a tripod and the dandelion shot handheld. No post on any of the shots except cropping. I realized after shooting that I had the K-1 set to Crop mode. Sorry.

Cheers

Last edited by TomTom; 11-16-2016 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Added info
11-17-2016, 07:12 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TomTom Quote
I realized after shooting that I had the K-1 set to Crop mode. Sorry.
That's OK; given that most of us are still APSC-only shooters, it allows a fair comparison of how things will be around the edges.

I took a series of shots under natural light that were awful and a series of shots under TTL flash that were better, but I need to reshoot the flash sequence at ISO 400; the AF280T simply can't provide enough light in bounce mode at ISO 200 at f/11 or f/16.
11-23-2016, 09:17 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I added a few more test shots at Test shots | Flickr that were shot at F2.9 or 4 on K-1 FF, most with no post.
11-30-2016, 01:07 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've really been itching to pull the trigger on this lens, but was waiting for the in-depth review from the PF staff, or at least some photos and feedback from some of the early adopters. I have a lot of respect for the opinions and impressions of many of the fine folks in this forum. Thanks TomTom for posting some of your first images. I checked out your test shots on Flickr and am encouraged. I feel that I may be placing that order soon.
12-01-2016, 01:02 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chuck_c Quote
I've really been itching to pull the trigger on this lens, but was waiting for the in-depth review from the PF staff, or at least some photos and feedback from some of the early adopters. I have a lot of respect for the opinions and impressions of many of the fine folks in this forum. Thanks TomTom for posting some of your first images. I checked out your test shots on Flickr and am encouraged. I feel that I may be placing that order soon.
Did you see the other thread on this lens here? I've posted some pictures there, and linked to my Google Photos site, and some others have also posted some examples.
12-01-2016, 02:52 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Did you see the other thread on this lens here? I've posted some pictures there, and linked to my Google Photos site, and some others have also posted some examples.
Thank you for the heads-up, ThorSanchez.
12-02-2016, 09:24 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I had not seen the other thread. Thanks for pointing it out. I went and had a look at it, and also the photos that you and others have posted using the lens. I was very intrigued, so I placed my order.