Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2008, 01:21 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
da*16-50 to be repaired

Hi,
last night I discovered that my 16-50 that I bought about 3 weeks ago stopped focusing in AF. It works fine in MF. Some times it "wakes up" and works normally but after I turn the camera, k200d, off and back on it's dead again. I'm sending it in for repair.
I wonder if I'm missing anything or doing something wrong?
Thank you very much,
AK

07-22-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sinus007 Quote
Hi,
last night I discovered that my 16-50 that I bought about 3 weeks ago stopped focusing in AF. It works fine in MF. Some times it "wakes up" and works normally but after I turn the camera, k200d, off and back on it's dead again. I'm sending it in for repair.
Thank you very much,
AK

Try cleaning the contacts on the lens and camera. Other than that, it's back to factory I'm afraid.
07-22-2008, 04:16 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't forget to clean the contacts inside the mount on the camera body as well. Those are actually the power contacts for the focusing motor. They used to be for the power zoom system - still are, I guess.
07-22-2008, 04:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Lots of luck with it

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Try cleaning the contacts on the lens and camera.
This is the first thing to try whenever you have problems with just one lens.
Even if your menus just aren't working, since for some reason lenses appear to effect the menu system

07-22-2008, 04:44 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks folks,
I did clean the contacts on both camera and lens. Same thing.
Oh well...
Hope they'll do it fast enough and actually fix the lens.

AK
07-22-2008, 05:21 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Should I not buy this lens??

I've been watching it for like 6 months now and the problems don't seem to be going away, at all... in fact, it seems like only more and more complaints are being lodged?
07-22-2008, 05:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Try turning the screw drive on the camera and also on the lens a little and see if that works.

07-22-2008, 08:37 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Hannican Quote
Should I not buy this lens??

I've been watching it for like 6 months now and the problems don't seem to be going away, at all... in fact, it seems like only more and more complaints are being lodged?
I bought a great copy of this lens and am very happy with it, so no real reason for me to keep posting that fact. (On the first copy I tried at that, I did try 3 copies of the Tamron, all had problems, but that's all the quantity the store had, so I tried the Pentax, reluctantly, and glad I did) I'm not saying there aren't issues with copies of this lens, it's just that it's more likely to find posts regarding it's issues and problems, and that makes sense, because people want to know if their problem with the lens is common, if they are testing it correctly, and how to deal with it (return it, swap it out, get a refund, mail it to Pentax, etc..)
07-22-2008, 09:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sinus007 Quote
Hi,
Thank you very much,
AK
Hi AK,

Yep same thing here exactly.
I took it in with the camera after it came back from the agents in OZ twice in the same condition.
They cleaned the contacts on camera and lens and it seemed to work ok. But if i turn it on after a couple of days without use it sort of works. I havent played with it much since but if i find it happening, i will take it back straight to the agents directly again. No excuses this time.
But if thats all it is then i am also happy. Funny thing though is that my other DA* works perfect everytime.

Hope you have had luck with getting it fixed.

Neil