Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-19-2016, 09:47 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Newbie Lens Recommendations

Recently got a decent K-1 body, and thinking about fu ll-frame lenses. There is a local "camera" show here on Sunday. Having more money than sense, I will probably buy something. However, I know little about Pentax-compatible lenses. What should I look out for?\

Here is what I have so far:

- JC Penny 80-200 F3.9 MC AUTO PK mount (why not?)

- TAMRON 28-75 F2.8 Macro (general walk-around el cheapo)

- Samyang 14mm F2.8 (landscape astro)

- Pentax SMC DA 35mm F2.4 AL

- SMC Pentax-M 1.7 50mm

- Takumar (Bayonet) 135mm F2.5

So, what do I like?

* wide/ultra-wide/Fisheye lenses. fast with little or no coma

* ultra-wide zooms

* short telephoto, fast and no coma

* really long telephoto

Little use for "normal", "portrait" etc. lenses

WHAT SHOULD I LOOK OUT FOR? full-frame only

TNX old timers (at least you are not old farts, like me ...)

08-19-2016, 10:17 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The lenses you own now are cheap consumer grade. If I had a K-1 I'd look at purchasing a nice pro series lens. What's your budget?
08-19-2016, 11:01 AM   #3

Original Poster
Many of these were purchased for few $$ for immediate testing of some K-1 body problem. They were never intended as "keepers."

It is not so much "budget" as purpose. For example, the Samyang 14mm is about perfect for my intended use. I am eyeing the Samyang 20 (21?) mm F2.8 autofocus as well.

Keep in mind that many, even expensive lenses, are poorly corrected for COMA near the edge of the frame. Canon and Sigma wide-angle lenses come to mind ...

As Indiana Jones used to say: " COMA ... I hate COMA !!"

Autofocus nice, but not a necessity ... My idea of action is a tree gently blowing in the wind ...
08-19-2016, 12:05 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I beg to differ on the Tammy 28-75 2.8. It is my most used lens overall. I use it more than my DA* 50-135. The Tammy has great IQ and holds it's own when compared top "pro" lenses. Now my prospective is as a wedding photographer where fast zooms are your bread and butter. OP check your auto focus fine tune adjust with the Tammy. On a K-1 it should be a great lens.

08-19-2016, 01:01 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I guess it really depends on what you need lenses for. What are your goals/needs?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-19-2016, 02:02 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by macman24054 Quote
I beg to differ on the Tammy 28-75 2.8. It is my most used lens overall. I use it more than my DA* 50-135. The Tammy has great IQ and holds it's own when compared top "pro" lenses. Now my prospective is as a wedding photographer where fast zooms are your bread and butter. OP check your auto focus fine tune adjust with the Tammy. On a K-1 it should be a great lens.
If that were true then all of us would be purchasing the Tamron instead of the Pentax D FA 24-70 but we aren't. It's still a cheap consumer grade lens no matter how you slice it.
08-19-2016, 02:17 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

The Tamron 28-75 is such a good lens for its size - it's my standard zoom on FF.

But it can't be in the same league as the 24-70 which has so much more glass (and a price tag to match).

08-19-2016, 03:49 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
If that were true then all of us would be purchasing the Tamron instead of the Pentax D FA 24-70 but we aren't. It's still a cheap consumer grade lens no matter how you slice it.
I have sold more prints to my clients taken with my Tamron than any other lens. The most important point is that I don't pixel peep my images and neither do my clients. We can pixel peep any lens and find fault. That is on a computer screen and very rarely have I seen even a 4x6 image look better on a computer screen that in print. I am not talking about a 15" CTR screen. I am talking about an image viewed on my 27" HD Apple Cinema Display. You can spend your time pixel peeping, I'll be out taking pictures.
08-19-2016, 04:35 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by macman24054 Quote
You can spend your time pixel peeping, I'll be out taking pictures.
I understand exactly what you're saying. It's a wonderful lens. But if you're argument holds true than all those people spending $1,296.95 on the D FA 24-70 are just a bunch of lemmings sucked into thinking this is a better lens because it's so much more expensive. Ok....maybe they are lemmings and you're the smart one I mean we since you're beginning to convince me
08-19-2016, 05:06 PM   #10
Site Supporter

I understand exactly what you're saying. It's a wonderful lens. But if you're argument holds true than all those people spending $1,296.95 on the D FA 24-70 are just a bunch of lemmings sucked into thinking this is a better lens because it's so much more expensive. Ok....maybe they are lemmings and you're the smart one I mean we since you're beginning to convince me
People are brand snobs. Pentax guys buy Pentax for perceived value, at twice the price.

If it were not true.... Half of the Nikon and canon shooters would be buying Pentax as our cameras are FAR better values.
08-19-2016, 05:22 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Maksim Quote
Half of the Nikon and canon shooters would be buying Pentax as our cameras are FAR better values.
True except Pentax cannot AF fast enough for action shots compared to Nikon and Canon so I'm sure that's why they go with those camera's and the fact there are far more lens choice available.
08-19-2016, 05:57 PM   #12
Site Supporter

True except Pentax cannot AF fast enough for action shots compared to Nikon and Canon so I'm sure that's why they go with those camera's and the fact there are far more lens choice available.
How many of those dslr owners actually need that AFS system?

Even if half.... That is a ton of people buying because Pentax is not Canon or Nikon, much like Sigma and Tamron are not Pentax in many people's eyes. Just saying.
08-19-2016, 06:01 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Maksim Quote
How many of those dslr owners actually need that AFS system?

Even if half.... That is a ton of people buying because Pentax is not Canon or Nikon, much like Sigma and Tamron are not Pentax in many people's eyes. Just saying.
You lost me....?
08-19-2016, 08:02 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For a medium telephoto you might consider an SMCA 200mm f4, commonly available at modest price in VG-E condition. If you want "fast" at that FL, an f2.8 200mm will cost probably at least five or six times what the f4 does. That's a lot for one f-stop, but I would recommend a Tamron 70~200mm f2.8. You'll be hard pressed to find an SFL 200 f2.8 that is significantly better. For a longer telephoto the current 300mm f4 DA is really the lens of choice. Longer than that would be the 150~450mm or a used Sigma 150~500mm. At the extreme wide end it's a little tricky. A good copy of the Samyang/Rokunar,Bower/Vivitar 14mm f2.8 is excellent, but some copies are clunkers. The SIgma 10-20mm, designed for APS-C, apparently works reasonably well on FF with some cropping. Kengoh has posted some wonderful images taken with a K1 + 10~20mm Sigma. For ultra-wide Sigma's FF 15mm f2.8 fish-eye has an excellent reputation. A really compact WA is the Voigtlander 20mm, but finding one in K-mount is difficult and the reviews I've read have been mixed, some saying it is excellent, others that it is very soft at the edges, but all agreeing it is extremely compact and beautifully made.

Except for a 200 f4 which goes for around $100 second hand, most of the lenses listed have a one-purchase-at-a-time price.
08-19-2016, 10:06 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

maybe they are lemmings and you're the smart one
I don't think so. If anything maybe lucky.