Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 76 Likes Search this Thread
08-24-2016, 05:20 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Venom3300 Quote
The DA-L, DA SMC, HD SMC versions on this lens I bet have driven countless new would-be pentax customers away.

1- The AF is on par with the screeching sound of Canon's old arc form motors of the late 80s... Canon saw the problem much quicker and introduced micro motors and USM in the early 90s
Source?

2- There is no way that anyone who has shot Canons 55-250 consumer zoom (any model), would think the pentax 55-300 (non PLM) were better. The canon is sharper, quieter, and has less CA. Don't tell me the Pentax has more reach- with how soft it is at 300 you would be better off cropping the canon at 250.
There isn't another consumer zoom out there that matches the 55-300 at 300mm, it's darn close to the DA*300.

And if you go back far enough I'm sure you can find a Canon lens just as bad, like the one I saw break in half, literally right in half after rolling 8 inches off a log it wa rested on during a lens change. Looking it over, I'd say it was a total piece of garbage. Is that the kind of lens you're holding up an an example?

3- The bokeh fringing is hideous. I rented this lens once before converting to Pentax. The bokeh fringing was TERRIBLE. Green and red lines going everywhere. Still the worst performance Ive seen from any lens... ever.
So you rented a lens and it didn't perform? Who rents a consumer lens. You do realize that consumer lenses do not have the same build quality as better lenses. A client took his Canon 55-200 on a canoe trip with me and it broke in half on the trip.

4- Its so soft at 300mm it might as well be an f/8 lens at the long end- you are wasting your time shooting it below F8.
Source? Do you own both these lenses, do you have a clue what you're talking about... you're just making this hogwash up right?

Theres just no way someone with experience with other brands (fan boys aside) would get this lens after having looked at Canikon offerings and think: "Hey I think Ill buy the Pentax. I just love that screeching sounding during focusing, and I like the soft photos at the long end, and I love how the background has red and green water colors from CA..."
Are you that someone who has looked at other brands and has the Canikon gear you are promoting?

Finally Pentax has seen the light and introduced the 55-300 PLM- a lens I wouldn't mind owning as a travel companion for when the big guns are just too much.
So in other words, you just spent a whole post whining about old news. But Pentax still has WR and IBSR, while Canon, they are still just Canon.

You credibility in this post is about zero,

Some folks own so much gear from different manufacturers they get locked into one manufacturers way of doing things and don't really appreciate the other ones. They may not be intellectually biased, but they end up with personal biases based on their preferences. It's unfortunate that they think, because they use cheap gear from all companies, that their opinion is something more than one person's preferences. This would appear to the the case with that post. Owning more than one camera system enables you to make a choice for yourself, it doesn't enable you to assume your observations, preferences or lack experience with any one system makes you some kind of expert.

IN fact, one could argue, if you weren't so fast to pick up your canon gear, you would have found out how Pentax shooters handle the problems you experience. However, nothing makes up for your ignorance of 55-300 lens characteristics in terms of sharpness and bokeh. IN those cases, you're just flat out wrong, according to every source I've ever seen.

SO that's why I'm asking, do you have some credible sources? Or is this all hogwash based on your personal experience of the two lenses in question? Because with two lenses, of the same manufacturer and model the sample variation can vary considerable. That kind of comparison is easily discredited.

IN the end, it comes down to, do people trust your preferences to line up with their own. Since I can't recall ever seeing one of your images, I have no idea if anything you post is even of any interest to me. I tend to not take much advice from crap photographers, or photographers whose work I don't know.

Go over to the 300mm lens club, you'll see some great images taken with the 55-300, apparently none of them yours however.

For a dissenting opinion look here...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/263942-obje...-55-300-a.html

Last edited by normhead; 08-24-2016 at 05:43 AM.
08-24-2016, 05:48 AM   #62
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I got the impression that he didn't like the DA55-300, Norm.....
08-24-2016, 05:49 AM - 1 Like   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I got the impression that he didn't like the DA55-300, Norm.....
Ya, I think it gave him herpes or something.
08-24-2016, 05:51 AM   #64
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

the gift that keeps on giving.... LOL...

08-24-2016, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #65
Pentaxian

I'd be mad too...

Give me herpes and I will ruin your reputation amongst the boys in the hood.
08-24-2016, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Davidparis Quote
...it still sucks thinking about those amazing condors I attempted to capture with an inadequate lens.
let me ask a question predicated on your long experience with the pentax system...why take this kit on a very expensive plane ride when you obviously knew its limitations?...just asking.

ps...there is an advantage to noisy screw drive lenses...they make grizzly bears look at you when you take their portraits
08-24-2016, 06:27 AM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
let me ask a question predicated on your long experience with the pentax system...why take this kit on a very expensive plane ride when you obviously knew its limitations?...just asking.

ps...there is an advantage to noisy screw drive lenses...they make grizzly bears look at you when you take their portraits
You can just yell "get your fresh Salmon over here. "

08-24-2016, 08:37 AM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Note to self: don't go shooting with Norm unless I want to break all of my lenses.
08-24-2016, 08:44 AM   #69

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote

That's a quick and easy answer. I work for a major French airline that I shall not name and I travel 3-4 times per month*. Secondly, the illustrious DA 55-300 is the longest lens that I have as I normally shoot from 10mm to 135mm with Pentax glass that provide full satisfaction. This includes action shots that are regularly published in a French magazine (sportfishing). That's the best answer to your question I can provide. Final note, I certainly haven't lost all faith in the 55-300! It did a great job this trip on static and distant subjects, just not as well on the birdies...
Brgds.

* When there is no labor strike!
08-24-2016, 08:45 AM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Note to self: don't go shooting with Norm unless I want to break all of my lenses.
Thanks to all my Ontario Recreational Canoe and Kayak, certifications you will be safe. How ever many people ignore my gear transportation recommendations (pelican cases) and carry lenses in soft cases. For the I take no responsibility.

It's funny, if I say we get off the water when we hear thunder and don't get back on until a half hour after the last thunder has been heard they do ti. But if I say, bring your camera gear in pelican cases small enough to fit into canoe packs, for some reason everyone thinks that's optional advice. Go figure.

I mean if you turn up with lousy camera transport plans am I going to cancel the trip costing myself hundreds in guiding fees, because you might break a lens?

I'd also point out, when that log rolled my 60-250 was also on the log. It didn't receive even a scratch,. I also can't force people to buy expedition quality gear. I wouldn't be happy to see a Pentax 50-200 out there either.

Last edited by normhead; 08-24-2016 at 09:25 AM.
08-24-2016, 09:29 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Source?

There isn't another consumer zoom out there that matches the 55-300 at 300mm, it's darn close to the DA*300.

And if you go back far enough I'm sure you can find a Canon lens just as bad, like the one I saw break in half, literally right in half after rolling 8 inches off a log it wa rested on during a lens change. Looking it over, I'd say it was a total piece of garbage. Is that the kind of lens you're holding up an an example?

So you rented a lens and it didn't perform? Who rents a consumer lens. You do realize that consumer lenses do not have the same build quality as better lenses. A client took his Canon 55-200 on a canoe trip with me and it broke in half on the trip.

Source? Do you own both these lenses, do you have a clue what you're talking about... you're just making this hogwash up right?

Are you that someone who has looked at other brands and has the Canikon gear you are promoting?

So in other words, you just spent a whole post whining about old news. But Pentax still has WR and IBSR, while Canon, they are still just Canon.

You credibility in this post is about zero,

Some folks own so much gear from different manufacturers they get locked into one manufacturers way of doing things and don't really appreciate the other ones. They may not be intellectually biased, but they end up with personal biases based on their preferences. It's unfortunate that they think, because they use cheap gear from all companies, that their opinion is something more than one person's preferences. This would appear to the the case with that post. Owning more than one camera system enables you to make a choice for yourself, it doesn't enable you to assume your observations, preferences or lack experience with any one system makes you some kind of expert.

IN fact, one could argue, if you weren't so fast to pick up your canon gear, you would have found out how Pentax shooters handle the problems you experience. However, nothing makes up for your ignorance of 55-300 lens characteristics in terms of sharpness and bokeh. IN those cases, you're just flat out wrong, according to every source I've ever seen.

SO that's why I'm asking, do you have some credible sources? Or is this all hogwash based on your personal experience of the two lenses in question? Because with two lenses, of the same manufacturer and model the sample variation can vary considerable. That kind of comparison is easily discredited.

IN the end, it comes down to, do people trust your preferences to line up with their own. Since I can't recall ever seeing one of your images, I have no idea if anything you post is even of any interest to me. I tend to not take much advice from crap photographers, or photographers whose work I don't know.

Go over to the 300mm lens club, you'll see some great images taken with the 55-300, apparently none of them yours however.

For a dissenting opinion look here...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/263942-obje...-55-300-a.html
Norm buddy,

Didnt realize you were so touchy.

1- the DA 55-300 doesnt compete well with DA* 300. Have a look at the undepth review of the DA* 300 and you we'll see they compared the two lenses at different apertures. The DA 55-300 at f11 may match the DA* at f4. Wode open is no contest. And if you stop down the DA*300 any it beats the 55-300 at any aperture.

2. Photozones reviews back my statements on sharpness and CA. They show the lens softening past 200mm and noticable CA in critical situations at 300mm. They also show the canon 55-250 has better sharpness.

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM - Review / Test Report - Analysis

Pentax SMC DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED - Review / Test Report - Analysis

3. I dont know of anyone that has used a decible meter to measure the sound of the two lenses. But I used both side by side. And the difference in terms of noise was negligible if any at all. The 55-300 AF slightly faster than the ancient canon, but not by much.

4. I am aware build quality usually varies on price. The ironic part is I never brought up build quality. The canon 50 1.8II has some the worst build quality in recent memory. Doesnt mean all canon lenses are bad. Doesn't mean all pentax lenses have good build quality our vice versa.

5. I'm not promoting any brand. I don't care what people shoot. You can't really claim I'm stuck in canon way of doing things seeing as I ditched a canon set up to buy pentax. But I'm not a pentax fanboy either. I realize that in certain offerings the competition has a better product. It's likely Ricoh did too done they replaced this lens.

6. I'm not whining about old news.I'm agreeing with the original post. Which is about a lens that was recently replaced

7. Its very ironic that you insuoted me and my photography, discredited my personal experience and asked for sources... But yet you provided no sources to counter me. And the link you attached is full of the user experiences you discredited.

8. Here is a link to my photography website.
mysite
08-24-2016, 09:45 AM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
1- the DA 55-300 doesnt compete well with DA* 300. Have a look at the undepth review of the DA* 300 and you we'll see they compared the two lenses at different apertures. The DA 55-300 at f11 may match the DA* at f4. Wode open is no contest. And if you stop down the DA*300 any it beats the 55-300 at any apertur
Sometimes if you read a lot, you know very little.

QuoteQuote:
2. Photozones reviews back my statements on sharpness and CA. They show the lens softening past 200mm and noticable CA in critical situations at 300mm. They also show the canon 55-250 has better sharpness.
The issue isn't whether it's less sharp at 300 than at 200, the issue is how does it stack up against other zoom of it's type. And as a consumer zoom, s far as I know it's pretty much top of the heap.

Photozone is notorious for testing one lens that was lent to them by somebody. Their tests are completely unreliable in that they don't deal at all with sample variation. If Photozone says a lens is good, you can trust them, they got a good sample they found out what the lens can do. But you still have to deal with the fact you might get a bad copy if you buy it. if they say a lens is bad, they are unreliable, they may have a bad copy. See the lens rentals sample variations charts to understand this more fully.

QuoteQuote:
5. I'm not promoting any brand. I don't care what people shoot. You can't really claim I'm stuck in canon way of doing things seeing as I ditched a canon set up to buy pentax. But I'm not a pentax fanboy either. I realize that in certain offerings the competition has a better product. It's likely Ricoh did too done they replaced this lens.
SO you say...

QuoteQuote:
7. Its very ironic that you insuoted me and my photography, discredited my personal experience and asked for sources... But yet you provided no sources to counter me. And the link you attached is full of the user experiences you discredited.
I discredited your personal experience by pointing out that your personal experiences don't take into account lens sample variation. Lens sample variation is absolute irrefutable fact, well documented on lens rentals.com. So, ya, you did something I wouldn't do. You based an evaluation on your personal experience of two different lenses. And it's not just you. Many make the same mistake.

Last edited by normhead; 08-24-2016 at 11:01 AM.
08-24-2016, 10:55 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Norm, you lost it again. Someone voices a very negative opinion on a Pentax product and you immediately load the guns with such gems as "do you have a clue what you're talking about... you're just making this hogwash up right?" and "You credibility in this post is about zero ...", and finally the true and tested "Go over to the 300mm lens club, you'll see some great images taken with the 55-300, apparently none of them yours however.".

Someone criticises Pentax to a larger degree than you can tolerate and you immediately go completely ad hominem, questioning their qualifications, attacking their integrity and doubting their photographic talent. The latter one is ironic considering his website shows he is actually producing great images. And of course you go on to question independent reviews (essentially a favourite pastime for many fanboys on this site), except for if they are laudatory, then someone makes a thread about it and everyone is happy.

And then the typical ritual ensues with others (in this case pepperberry farm) joining in with snarky remarks and slapping each other on the shoulder in their perceived Pentaxian superiority.

I disagree with his opinion on the HD DA 55-300 WR, which I think is a very good lens overall with high build quality and good image quality, and only the very poor AF to criticise. But your response is, once again, completely childish.
08-24-2016, 11:03 AM   #74
Pentaxian

When did this get to be about me?

Should I respond that you are a timid wuss that would rather be polite than call a spade a spade?

There's two sides to every story. (Sometimes 3 or 4.

Is that where we want to go... a thorough discussion of each others communication styles? I'm sure everyone is interested in reading that, not...

Or were thinking I'd just roll over and defer to your infinite wisdom?

What the heck were you thinking?

I will say this for myself however... I don't go to Canon forums and pimp Pentax gear.

I'm not the one who felt obligated to start brand wars here. I tend to think offering folks advice on how to get the most out of what they have trumps any "this brand is better than that brand" hogwash. And that's all that is is hogwash. Observations on the stye of various lenses at an now irrelevant frozen point in time. The one little window when the Canon was better at something than the Pentax was. I'm sure if I were you I could be more polite. But if it offends you, that's what the ignore button is for. I write for those who think like me. It doesn't offend me at all, if those who don't enjoy what I have to say ignore me... no sweat off my back.

People aren't looking for some smarty pants saying "this Canon gear is better than your gear." People aren't interested in some clown saying "your favourite lens that you take such great pictures with, isn't as good as this other lens from some other manufacturer," especially when it isn't.. Rule one of the forum should be "respect other people's gear." If you can't do that you shouldn't be here.

People here take great pictures with 18-55 and 50-200 kits. That's the truth, "you have to have this canon lens for this" is..... you should be able to fill in the blank by now.

People who come on and explain how they "can't get it done with this piece of equipment because this equipment sucks" always end up being embarrassed by those who have done exactly that with the same equipment.

And people aren't interested in your banal criticisms of what I have to say, or the way I express myself.

You're talking to a man with a bad hip and knee who has to spend a lot of time sitting around. I have lot's of time to tell you what I'm thinking.

Last edited by normhead; 08-24-2016 at 11:57 AM.
08-24-2016, 01:11 PM   #75
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You're talking to a man with a bad hip and knee who has to spend a lot of time sitting around. I have lot's of time to tell you what I'm thinking.
That's a bad combination. My wife would could certainly attest that a grouchy old man with a bad hip (my knees are fine ) can be challenge to deal with.