Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2016, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Davidparis Quote
Howdy folks,
I'm a die-hard Pentaxian, for better or worse, and generally try to defend the brand and promote its numerous qualities. Using Pentax has forced me to become a better photographer and I'm thankful for that.

However, today I do want to ferociously complain about the DA 55-300 HD version. While the lens can indeed produce a sharp image with somewhat pleasing bokeh on still life and other non-moving subjects, for sports or anything moving the lens is an absolute loser. I've practiced enough throughout the years with my previous version. We all know the screw drive is slower than molasses and louder than a train wreck. We anticipate and compensate for that. Earlier this year, I spent about 5 hours shooting a (horse) polo match from the field using AF.C and all the proper settings. Focus hit rate and keeper ratio were acceptable and I did get some sharp shots of a very dynamic sport. Pretty confident, once again, that I could tackle situations with this lens.

HOWEVER, just got back from 3 weeks in Peru. Dustier than hell, but the K-5IIs performed admirably as expected. The failure occured in the Colca Canyon region while shooting the Andean condors. Had good early-morning light, blue sky, no clouds, Condors were flying and I had several good spots to shoot from. The birds were soaring peacefully anywhere from 30 to 80 meters from my shooting position.

The DA 55-300 HD was literally an absolute catastrophe. Hunting, whining, whirring, spitting, coughing and protesting continuously. Jumped from AF.C to AF.S and myriad complmentary settings to get it right for the conditions. Lots of thinking and anticipation coupled with many years of experience produced very poor results. Of about 350 shots of condors in flight, I swear I may have 10 keepers, none of which I'd dare publish here for fear of being ridiculed to no end...It was an unbelievable session. The lens was just clearly out of its league. The challenge was too great and the lens failed miserably. OOF rate was astronomical.

The Canon guys with their long white lenses seemed content enough, probably due to the quick focus capability of their equipment.

My gripes here are known to all of us. When will Pentax produce an AF system capable of rivaling Canikon and allowing action/sports shooting on a reasonable level? Why didn't Pentax produce this updated lens with the same motor drive as the DA18-135 and DA16-85? Why is the newest 55-300 PLM incompatible with my K-30 and K-5IIs? Will it perform better on an appropriate body?

I still enjoy Pentax and am pleased with my other shots. However, it is disappointing to realize that action/sports remain a serious shortcoming for the brand. Hopefully, Ricoh will make some progress on this aspect in the future.

OK, my group therapy session on PF was successful as I feel better now...but it still sucks thinking about those amazing condors I attempted to capture with an inadequate lens.

Good day to all.
You have reached a critical juncture in your DSLR life. I had a similar experience with a K5iis in Yellowstone in 2013. I almost jumped shipped.
Yes, the DA55-300 failed you, but honestly, as others have pointed out, it's a consumer zoom, you can't compare it to pro Canikon lenses costing 10-20x as much.
But it is also your camera body. The K5iis just is not capable of performing at the level of your expectations.
You can save up for a 150-450, but it still won't be "enough"
Unless you couple that 150-450 with a K3 (at a minimum), you will be back here in a year ranting about the next missed opportunity.

I love Pentax, but I'm also a realist.
I know what I can and can't do with it.
I also make some money with my kit, and between the K1 and my wildlife lenses I have spent close to 20x what your K5iis body and DA55-300 are currently worth.
Are your expectations that high?
Therefore I suggest you choose your next steps carefully, because shooting wildlife is the MOST expensive pursuit you can undertake as a photographer.
It's time to decide how "high" you are going to raise the bar.
If your budget won't allow, then maybe it's time to temper your expectations.

Last edited by nomadkng; 08-22-2016 at 12:50 PM.
08-22-2016, 08:07 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
white Canon lens will cost at least 2 times (70-200 f4 IS) or 5 times (70-200 f2.8 IS) your 55-300 so it's understandable that it's faster, Pentax has a 60-250 f4 which is loved by any owner,maybe you could try it out
08-22-2016, 08:22 AM - 4 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The new 55-300 is 1.7 times faster focusing in the long end than the old one, has a silent ring motor instead of screw drive and electronic aperture, and is less than $400.

I shoot now with my DA*60-250 or DA*200 with various TCs. My old Sigma 70-300 doesn't match them. That's not really a surprise.

And looking at that white Canon glass, take off that white lens and put a 70-300 or 55-300 style lens on it, and it won't be any better.

Taken with my K-3 and DA*200. Many of us who want this type of image, bought the K-3 just for this purpose. 8 fps, a functional tracking system, maybe not on the Canikon level, but feeling the focus shift while taking this bird was a thing of joy. I had never before done so little work to achieve acceptable focus. Lock on, press the trigger, let the camera do the tracking.

Tracking loves ƒ2.8 or maybe ƒ4 lenses glass. That doesn't change no matter what system you are on. Compared to an ƒ5.6 lens the tracking system has 4 times more light to work with if wide open it's ƒ2.8.

Sometimes one just has to ask oneself.. "What features of $5K to $15K camera system can I reasonably expect to find in a $1k camera system? " There's the perspective you should be looking at.

The thing I like about Pentax, is it gives me a chance, if I get the image to have just as good an image as the big boys. It may be harder for me to get it, I may not have the same frame rate or AF tracking speed, but if I nail it,no one will ever care. That's a challenge I can accept.

Last edited by normhead; 08-22-2016 at 12:59 PM.
08-22-2016, 08:34 AM   #19
Pentaxian

.....and the purple fringing can always be solved PP

08-22-2016, 09:23 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

I used to have a 55-300. I ended up trading it in and getting a Sigma 150-500 DG OS, due to the fact that that I knew that 300 was not enough reach for tracking birds in flight in a majority of cases, and focusing on long distance subjects. I shoot with "Spot" in AF.C and the ability to track my subject using the "Spot" is feasible in most situations due to having the super-telephoto advantage of the 150-500 range.The 55-300 would not be a wildlife or birds in flight option for me if I planned on seeking that type of image. I see that some users have had success with the 55-300 range in certain conditions, but I would recommend the Sigma 150-500 DG OS or Pentax 150-450 if a user is really looking to have the super-telephoto advantage and actually have enough of the subject to track in most cases.

Last edited by C_Jones; 08-22-2016 at 12:17 PM.
08-22-2016, 10:06 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I used to own a 55-300 DAL and was able to get in focus shots of swallows zipping around outside my balcony the same day I got it and was testing it out. Wasn't a perfect lens but it could do the job, as you discovered with the polo match. Perhaps the lens got damaged somehow?
08-22-2016, 10:15 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With all due respect for those producing WOW! BIF shots . . .

It would be interesting to audit the photo era to determine when 'BIFs' became a criteria for judging amateur's camera gear -- it would certainly be after the introduction of auto-focus lenses, burst modes and 'free' digital imaging.

With appreciation for the personal challenge involved, I'm not convinced that BIF images will elbow their way into the genre of 'classic' photography. Thankfully, the money spent chasing the perfect BIF-gear will benefit the economy and the photo community as a whole.

08-22-2016, 11:15 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
I also make some money with my kit, and between the K1 and my wildlife lenses I have spent close to 50x what your K5iis body and DA55-300 are worth.
You spent $50,000
08-22-2016, 12:49 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
You spent $50,000
current value of a k5iis ~325
current value of a 55-300 ~ 150

and i typo'd.. should have been 20x

which was in line with my opening statement
08-22-2016, 03:25 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
What screwdrive is NOT good at is the constant adjustment needed for AF.C. For that you need an in lens motor with finer stepping than the screwdrive can provide.

Originally posted by Davidparis
The lens was just clearly out of its league. The challenge was too great and the lens failed miserably.

Perhaps. It definitely is not a BIF lens by any means. It is what it is, and trying to make it do things it is not capable of is the photographers fault, not the lens. The 55-300 in any of the screwdrive versions is an inexpensive consumer zoom that does just fine for static objects. For the price it is an exceptional value, just don't push it beyond it's abilities. For BIF you need a modern lens like the DFA*70-200 or the DFA 150-450. The older DA*60-250 is also adequate but focuses too slow to be really good at BIF.
I find it interesting that there is a distinction between lenses in terms of their ability to do AF-C well. The implication in the discussion seems to be that you need a non-screwdriver focus motor, is that accurate? What about the DA* vs. "consumer" non-screwdriver focus lenses?

Is this level of performance advertised by Pentax, and is it a stated feature of the lenses? Or do you just have to know it from experience? (I mostly do not use AF-C, or shoot a lot of moving objects, but I do on occasion and so this may be very useful information for me to know.)
08-22-2016, 03:38 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Btw OP, if you want, you can post some of your photos and we can give tips on PP to help them. Applying good digital sharpening, adding contrast, lens profile to remove CA and purple fringing can go a long way. Dunno how skilled you are in that department, maybe you already know what you are doing, just throwing out some ideas. Sounds like you had a really cool trip and there is still stuff you can do with the images
08-22-2016, 03:47 PM   #27
mee
Veteran Member

It is definitely not a sports oriented/designed lens. I think Pentax designed it to be a general purpose walkaround telephoto.. kudos whomever can and does get consistent action shots with it though. And, as the many photos show, it seems possible.

I find it works better in AF-S mode (opposed to AF-C) for objects large enough to fit on the center focus point..and then follow it around continually half pressing the shutter release button to refocus. Not even close to ideal but it can work.
08-22-2016, 04:04 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I find it works better in AF-S mode (opposed to AF-C) for objects large enough to fit on the center focus point..and then follow it around continually half pressing the shutter release button to refocus. Not even close to ideal but it can work.
AF.C has been considered a slight weakness on Pentax for a while, maybe not with the latest cameras, but definitely in the past. And definitely with "slow" lenses. I would rather use manual focus or pair MF with catch-in-focus (but I don't think this lens allow CiF, so that's a moot point). With MF you can just move it a little or wait for the bid to come into focus. Animals often move in predictable patterns, so you can lurk with settings and focus ready, and then just burst mode when the animal enters frame.
08-22-2016, 04:09 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
current value of a 55-300 ~ 150
Exactly. It's a $150 LENS! CONSUMER GRADE! Hello.......is anyone listening?
08-22-2016, 04:10 PM - 2 Likes   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Is this level of performance advertised by Pentax, and is it a stated feature of the lenses? Or do you just have to know it from experience?
I do not believe Pentax makes any distinction. And my comments should not be taken to mean you cannot do BIF with the 55-300. I have, it works. Is it aggravating? Yes. Have many other photographers done it successfully? Yes.

The distinction I make between screwdrive and in lens motor lenses for BIF (or other things that use the tracking) are from personal experience. A screwdrive lens seems (to me) to have too coarse a stepping or perhaps it overshoots and by the time it recovers the target has moved and the camera is trying to refocus. At any rate I have not had good luck with BIF using a screwdrive zoom. The DA*60-250 seems to have a fine enough granularity and can keep something in focus provided it is not moving too fast but the motor itself is not (IMHO) fast enough. The newer DC lenses like the DA 16-85 and newer SDM lens like the DFA 24-70 and DFA 150-450 seem to work much better.