Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2016, 11:00 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Wrong Adapter? Help.

I purchased a rthter nice Super-Takumar 200mm F4 at a local photo show for an attractive price. It is super-clean, both the metal body and the interior glass.

I did a little "star-testing" this evening on a K-1 body, and, not too bad !!

However, I noticed that the mount adapter did not seem to be giving me a positive connection on the bayonet side - no click or lock - and if I am not careful, I can accidentally start unscrewing the lens .... obviously I have little experience with screw mounts ...

I am beginning to think I have the wrong adapter.

I purchased a Fotodiox m42 to pentax K adapter.

Is this the wrong one?

tnx for any advice.

-- rick

08-22-2016, 11:29 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's pretty much how screwmount lenses are, that said, you'll probably get a tighter fit with the genuine adapter, which I'd strongly recommend if you plan on using a lot of M42 lenses.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/673977-REG/Pentax_30120_MOUNT_ADAPTER_K.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-23-2016, 07:55 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rcolman Quote
However, I noticed that the mount adapter did not seem to be giving me a positive connection on the bayonet side - no click or lock - and if I am not careful, I can accidentally start unscrewing the lens .... obviously I have little experience with screw mounts ...
Your Fotodiox adapter should click into place. Unscrew the lens to remove it from the adapter. Removing the adapter from the body often requires the included tool and sometimes may be very difficult/impossible even with the tool. As Adam noted, the original (and more expensive) Pentax adapter is strongly recommended over third party options.

Steve
08-23-2016, 07:55 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Your Fotodiox adapter should click into place. Unscrew the lens to remove it from the adapter. Removing the adapter from the body often requires the included tool and sometimes may be very difficult/impossible even with the tool. As Adam noted, the original (and more expensive) Pentax adapter is strongly recommended over third party options.

Steve

08-23-2016, 08:01 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FYI

https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/m42-pk-adapters---some-personal-experiences-36409
08-23-2016, 02:15 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

An approach some use is to get a cheap adapter PER m42 lens and use thread locker (the kind that is removable) on the adapter and lens and thus create a quasi-K mount with each of them.
08-23-2016, 02:51 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
An approach some use is to get a cheap adapter PER m42 lens and use thread locker (the kind that is removable) on the adapter and lens and thus create a quasi-K mount with each of them.
So, here is the problem with all this stuff. I want to take astrophotos, where small differences make a difference. Last night, without a positive "clkick" into the bayonet mount, there is always some danger of wiggling around.

So, regardless of whether I thread lock the scew, etc. I still need a positive attachment to the bayonet mount, and this is not happening !

08-23-2016, 04:05 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

So, regardless of whether I thread lock the scew, etc. I still need a positive attachment to the bayonet mount, and this is not happening !
Your adapter is supposed to have a spring-metal clip that locks it in place in the mount. Ideally, the adapter should still be a little loose when a lens is not in place. The mount face on the M42 lens is supposed to engage the face of the K-mount to provide both stability and lens registration.

If your adapter rotates out (disengages from the mount), I suggest you send it back as defective and order the genuine Pentax version as suggested by Adam (above). This advice comes from a user who came up short with a Bower-branded adapter sold by a major online retailer and who will never use a third-party version again.*

BTW...my genuine engages the mount quite securely with a definitive "click".

Steve

* ...with possible exception of the SRB Griturn product, which reportedly are made by SRB to be a close copy of the genuine
08-23-2016, 04:12 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

there is always some danger of wiggling around.
BTW...I don't believe there is a problem with any Asahi or other Japanese M42 lenses, but some German and Soviet-made M42 lenses have narrow diameter mount faces. As a result, the lens does NOT engage the mount face on the body. The result is a lens that "rocks" side-to-side on the camera even when properly used with the genuine adapter. Users on this site have compensated for this incompatibility by using rubber gasket rings or rubber o-rings to bolster the lens to the mount face.

Steve