Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-23-2016, 10:49 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Albums
Anatomy of an M42 Lens Disaster

I think i am cursed ... here are detailed instructions on how to screw up everything:

STEP 1 - buy a nice M42 Pentax lens at a photo show

STEP 2 - buy a fotodiox M42 to K-mount lens adapter (BTW, the make very good XXX to Sony E-mount adapters)

STEP 3 - read warnings about getting the lens stuck in the screw part, and getting the adapter stuck in the bayonet part.

STEP 4 - try adapter in the camera body bayonet --- oops cant get it free - whew got it out.

STEP 5 - read more warnings about getting the adapter stuck, remove spring clip and screw from adapter as advised.

STEP 6 - tightly screw adapter onto lens

STEP 7 - attach lens + adapter to bayonet. tighten ... seems secure ... !!!

STEP 8 - start precise calibraton of Astrotracer

STEP 9 - as camera body is rotated, watch adapter come loose from bayonet, disengage the lens from the camera and drop the lens about 3 or 4 feet to the asphalt

STEP 10 - pick up lens off of the ground, point the lens to my temple, search for imaginary trigger, wishing to commit suicide

I am obviously engaging in the wrong pasttime - pephaps I will try heart surgery instead - anyone have any chest pains ... step right up ...

08-23-2016, 11:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bummer. Try not to be too hard on yourself, this sort of thing happens to even careful people. At least the camera is fine. It seems one can never worry enough trying to imagine unpredictable circumstances.
08-24-2016, 12:03 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
I use the Astrotracer feature as well and recently picked up a fast vintage lens. Interested in best methods to ensure it's secure prior to the calibration gyration..
08-24-2016, 12:10 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The first time I tried an M42 to K adapter it was in a used camera shop and the adapter was a third party that needs a tool to disengage it. I tried and tried to remove the adapter from my beloved K200D and then the owner tried, then he had to call his repair guy down who took it off to his workshop for ten minutes before returning with the adapter off. It was about two years before I tried another M42 lens and I used the original adapter, of which I now own two. I'll never use third party ones, they're just too risky. I don't understand why they all require a tool or the removal of the retaining clip - why can't they just copy the Pentax design which works perfectly and can be mounted and removed using nothing more than a fingernail???

08-24-2016, 01:08 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

As @arnold said, don't be too hard on yourself. Most of us have done something similar, or of equal magnitude.

I'm really very careful with my equipment - even after years of use, most of it is either still unmarked or showing only the lightest signs of wear. But I've had accidents, too. The day I took delivery of my brand new DA70 f/2.4 Limited, I was swapping it between cameras so I could calibrate the AF fine adjustment if necessary. After removing it from my K-3, I rested it gently on the rear lens cap, which was sitting on top of the cardboard shipping box the lens arrived in. I turned around to get my K-3II and somehow bumped the shipping box, causing the lens to roll off and and drop about 10" onto the hard marble kitchen island. It hit the marble on the front edge, denting it and cracking the black paint finish. The sound was sickening. When I put the lens back on the camera, it worked but didn't sound right when using AF, nor did it feel right when manually focusing. I had to send that lens to be repaired, and I told myself I'd never be so stupid again... but I'm sure the time will come!
08-24-2016, 04:58 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rcolman Quote
as camera body is rotated
You'll have to elaborate on this part - who or what was rotating it? Did it suddenly sprout limbs and become Nadia Comanechi as it aligned itself?
08-24-2016, 05:07 AM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Did it suddenly sprout limbs and become Nadia Comanechi as it aligned itself?
I doubt it... I believe Ricoh is saving that feature for the K-1II