Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-24-2016, 01:21 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Anyone got their Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 II APO EX DG Macro HSM rechipped?

So I am one of the unfortunates with 8 255 lensID chip in my 70-200 thus rendering the lens unusable with K-1. I made a query to Finnish Sigma service center FOKA but they have not responded after they placed an order for the part I needed saying it's propably long out of production. As I'd like to keep my lens in use I started wondering if I could get it serviced somewhere else and I'd like to hear if someone (preferably in Europe) managed to get their lens rechipped.

08-24-2016, 05:25 AM   #2

Take a look here.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/323787-k1-sigma-lens.html
08-24-2016, 05:28 AM   #3

Not Europe, but Canada. It took the Canadian importer 10 days to receive the parts necessary to upgrade and I had it back within about 2 weeks. Changes to the mount, and as marked on the paperwork, to the software.
08-24-2016, 07:38 AM   #4
Forum Member

I had mine done and they changed the mount and the motor in the lens. Sadly it still freezes on the K1 but works fine on all my other Pentax bodies. I suspect I will have to wait for a pentax firmware upgrade and hope they dress the issue. For reference it is the 70-200/2.8 APO DG EX Macro II HSM

Tim

08-24-2016, 08:10 AM   #5

No rechip needed

The chip on this lens is flash reprogrammable. i know because Sigma UK have upgraded the firmware on my Sigma 70-200 HSM II to the latest version and the problem has gone away.
09-10-2016, 12:42 AM   #6

Original Poster
I just got an email telling me that they got the chip from Sigma and will update the lens for free here in Finland (well I have to pay the postage).
09-23-2016, 02:04 AM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
Aaand it's here. Just to confirm that the lens worked had to do one photoshoot with it.

Sigma service did the update for the chip and bayonet for free, just had to pay for postage.

09-23-2016, 04:33 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Drinkkeri Quote
Aaand it's here. Just to confirm that the lens worked had to do one photoshoot with it.

Sigma service did the update for the chip and bayonet for free, just had to pay for postage.
Typical Finnish mother on her way to work? Is she welding submarines or what?
09-27-2016, 03:56 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine has just arrived back at C.R.Kennedy (Pentax Australia) to have revised firmware loaded. They missed the firmware update the first time round when the mount was changed. I spoke to the lead technician and he advised that older lenses with a 7 digit serial number need new firmware, and newer models with an 8 digit serial number will work with the K1. I hope I can get it back soon.
09-27-2016, 06:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AdrianM Quote
older lenses with a 7 digit serial number need new firmware, and newer models with an 8 digit serial number will work with the K1
Can confirm. My HSM II with 8 digit serial has always worked fine on my K-1.

Also much credit to Sigma for providing this level of free support world-wide for a lens that has been out of production for years. Pentax themselves could learn much from Sigma here.
09-28-2016, 03:30 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AdrianM Quote
Mine has just arrived back at C.R.Kennedy (Pentax Australia) to have revised firmware loaded. They missed the firmware update the first time round when the mount was changed. I spoke to the lead technician and he advised that older lenses with a 7 digit serial number need new firmware, and newer models with an 8 digit serial number will work with the K1. I hope I can get it back soon.

My lens has digit serial number.

Maybe we should post the serial numbers of our lenses and create a database to see if there's a correlation.

Mine
10120222 (works after re-chip)
10-08-2016, 04:48 AM   #12

My K-1 has just arrived and I am happy to report that my Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 HSM II lens works on my K-1 without any problems. I know for a fact that it's lens ID is 8 255 and it is the one with seven digit serial number, but it still works. It focuses without any problems and it is S H A R P! Firmware version in the camera is 1.20.
10-11-2016, 03:23 AM   #13

FWIW

Here's my reply in another thread to a forum member inquiring about my lens. It seems that my camera/lens combo is unique in that it's actually functional and by all accounts it shouldn't be.

QuoteOriginally posted by banep Quote
Congratulations!

Is that 70-200 exactly Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM II Macro?
Would you be so kind to check what is the LENS ID in exif of your jpg or raw file?
You will be the first person to have combo of K-1+70-200HSM II Macro working with original firmware (LENS ID 8 255) and that could become very interesting.
I have a doubt that you bought second hand lens which already had been seviced including firmware update.
Another option is that you have one of the latest samples of HSM II Macro which brand new had updated firmware (LENS ID 8 16).
Anyway your info will be very valuable to me and the rest of disappointed Sigma owners. Thank you!
Here's a screenshot of the Raw image data provided by photoshop. I've taken a photo minutes ago just to check the LensID. As you can see, my lens is the infamous Sigma lens with 8 255 lens ID and it does work on my K-1. I forgot to circle the exact lines in the photo, but you'll find them. Look in the sixth and seventh row from the bottom.

I bought both the camera and the lens used. The camera had firmware version 1.20 when I bought it a few days ago and it worked with the lens nevertheless. I've updated the firmware to 1.30 and it still works. As far as the lens goes, I have no idea whether the previous owner had the firmware updated, but I seriously doubt it. If she had had the firmware updated, I guess the LensID would have also changed from 8 255 to 8 16, wouldn't it?
10-14-2016, 04:46 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fascinating. Just got mine back from C.R.Kennedy. Works a treat on the K-1. Lens ID is "8 16".