Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2008, 11:46 PM   #46
Veteran Member
suro's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ekaterinburg
Posts: 344
All portrait photos from Helios 40-2 must be taken with f1.5. Because sharp, contrast, and hard bokeh on the photos - kill the 3D (*range?*). Also, rotaded bokeh (effect) more useful on the f1.5-f2.0 (crop) and f1.5-f4.0 (full frame)

07-25-2008, 02:18 AM   #47
Veteran Member
Ben_Edict's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SouthWest "Regio"
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,303
This Helios lens shows severe spherical aberration, which might add some "flair" to portraits. It iss basically the same thing, that somespecialised protrait lenses (Nikkor DC) introduce, but controllable. The results wit the Helios wide open are quite dreamy, but I personally dislike the "rotation" effect. I prefer my FA 1.4/85 very much, because the blurred background is less dominant. These things very much come down to personal taste.

Ben
07-25-2008, 02:34 AM   #48
Veteran Member
suro's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ekaterinburg
Posts: 344
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Helios wide open are quite dreamy, but I personally dislike the "rotation" effect. I prefer my FA 1.4/85 very much, because the blurred background is less dominant. These things very much come down to personal taste.
You can close wide to f2.8 or much, and rotated effect will dissapears. Check my photos I posted recently (3 photos) - there is no rotated effect I mean you always can control it
07-25-2008, 02:40 AM   #49
Veteran Member
suro's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ekaterinburg
Posts: 344
It's hard to find Pentax 85mm /1.4, and price is very high I want this lens too

07-25-2008, 04:06 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Douglas_of_Sweden's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Stockholm
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,353
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
This Helios lens shows severe spherical aberration, which might add some "flair" to portraits. It iss basically the same thing, that somespecialised protrait lenses (Nikkor DC) introduce, but controllable. The results wit the Helios wide open are quite dreamy, but I personally dislike the "rotation" effect. I prefer my FA 1.4/85 very much, because the blurred background is less dominant. These things very much come down to personal taste.

Ben
I've never used the FA*85, but I read it is more ideal for portraits than the A*85, the later being sharper in the corners and wide open (not as sharp as the A*135 though). So lining them up according to how "dreamy" they are it should go Helios 85, FA*85, A*85. Is that Nikkor you mention somehow built so that this effect can be adjusted?

The Helios pictures in this thread are truly fantastic and have infected me with LBA, so now I will have to find both a Helios 85 and the A*85. Not likely to happen soon enough...
07-25-2008, 06:12 AM   #51
Veteran Member
Ben_Edict's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SouthWest "Regio"
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,303
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
I've never used the FA*85, but I read it is more ideal for portraits than the A*85, the later being sharper in the corners and wide open (not as sharp as the A*135 though). So lining them up according to how "dreamy" they are it should go Helios 85, FA*85, A*85. Is that Nikkor you mention somehow built so that this effect can be adjusted?

The Helios pictures in this thread are truly fantastic and have infected me with LBA, so now I will have to find both a Helios 85 and the A*85. Not likely to happen soon enough...
The Nikon 135/2 DC and the 105/2 DC are lenses with DC= defocus control. You can control the amount of spherical aberration, that is introduced - and even better, you can choose, in which direction (fore- or background) the aberration is located: Nikon Corporation Imaging Company: Choosing The Right Lenses: Optical Technologies 02

The FA 85/1.4 might not be as sharp as the 135/1.8, but it is half an f-stop faster, fully open. Thus, if you step down, it will be en par. That's guesswork, as I am looking for an somewhat more affordable A* 135/1.8 for a long time now… Please, is anybody reading this and wants to part with his 135/1.8 - I promise a cozy home and loads of use for the lens.

Ben
07-25-2008, 06:52 AM   #52
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boston, PRofMA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,053
Ben: are you saying this bizarre bokeh:
http://rd.foto.radikal.ru/0707/be/4a77a14bb436.jpg
is from spherical abberation? It's pretty weird looking and I'm not sure how a lens w/ 10 blades can cause something like this...

Pollito: the Bokina is the Tokina 90/2.5 macro lens...the smooth bokeh master according to everyone who's tried it...
07-25-2008, 07:14 AM   #53
Veteran Member
Ben_Edict's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SouthWest "Regio"
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,303
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Ben: are you saying this bizarre bokeh:
is from spherical abberation? It's pretty weird looking and I'm not sure how a lens w/ 10 blades can cause something like this...
Yes, I would guess, this is from spherical aberration - may be some coma thrown in for free. Both aberrations will be reduced significantly when stopped down - which seems to match the behaviour of the Helios.

regards
Ben

07-25-2008, 11:09 AM   #54
Veteran Member
suro's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ekaterinburg
Posts: 344
Another crazy bokeh:

07-25-2008, 01:37 PM   #55
Veteran Member
Ben_Edict's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SouthWest "Regio"
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,303
QuoteOriginally posted by suro Quote
Another crazy bokeh:
Yupp, makes me dizzy... When I saw your first posts I really thought: What kind of filter does that Photog use? But no, no filter, all built into that lens...

Ben
07-25-2008, 03:25 PM   #56
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boston, PRofMA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,053
It looks like some lenses that have "nervous" bokeh. I can't say I like it...it's really bizarre looking...
07-25-2008, 03:40 PM   #57
Veteran Member
rparmar's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,783
If I wanted that sort of effect I'd get out my twirl filter in PP. Some of the shots are quite nice and would be improved if that wacky effect was not there.

Just my opinion.

I'd really like an FA or A* 85mm. Even though they're not really necessary on an APS-C sensor.

That's my second opinion.
07-25-2008, 04:54 PM   #58
Senior Member
jslifoaw's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto/Victoria
Posts: 262
Although I think the "twirling" and cat eyes can be distracting in some cases, I think it's not a big issue in many of the very fine photos in this thread.

I do like the A*85 though
07-25-2008, 05:26 PM   #59
Inactive Account




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 942
QuoteOriginally posted by suro Quote
Another crazy bokeh:

Love the bokeh Suro! The last thing I want is another lens to consider in this focal range... but I'm considering it. I'm a bokeholic and this gives me a buzz.

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Ben: are you saying this bizarre bokeh:
http://rd.foto.radikal.ru/0707/be/4a77a14bb436.jpg
is from spherical abberation? It's pretty weird looking and I'm not sure how a lens w/ 10 blades can cause something like this...
# of blades only changes the shape of bokeh circles when stopped down, it has no effect whatsoever on the quality of bokeh in general. I actually wish more modern lenses would consider less and flatter blades - good old hexagon bokeh, ahhh.
07-25-2008, 07:19 PM   #60
Junior Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ottawa Canada
Posts: 43
I love my EF 85mm 1.8.... Great size awesome AF and great IQ....

Here is my canon 85mm next to my P30/w 50mm 2.0




Here is the 85mm in action....










Not bad for a lens you can pick up used for about 300 bucks!

Oh sorry this is a Pentax forum here ya go....



Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
85mm, design, k-mount, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Not Work-Safe Implied--Not Work Safe candgpics Photo Critique 11 08-16-2010 06:38 AM
Not Work-Safe somthing different (not work-safe) eigelb Post Your Photos! 2 06-01-2010 06:47 AM
Is it me, or is used glass getting expensive GregK8 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 68 04-22-2010 07:05 PM
People Vaughan (Work Safe) Lainey Post Your Photos! 5 04-02-2010 04:33 AM
Religious Pervert: Probably Safe for Work Mike Cash Post Your Photos! 6 08-16-2008 11:37 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:46 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top