Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2009, 02:48 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would have thought it was the "HOLGA" 60mm f8.0 lens...What a Gem. Can't beat those three plastic lens elements and their non-coated front element. Cost me about 49€ but was worth it...Yeah, definately "The HOLGA"

02-27-2009, 06:41 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Ahhh, I just love those old SMC Glass!!! The marketing people of today say "Get DA, AL, APO etc.. glass as they are "made" for digital... They are more contrasty, sharp and have minimum distortion!"

Well, I say that with digital, you have the opportunity to shoot in RAW and, with a little bit of effort, come up with the right PP workflow that gets the same result..

Case in point, these were taken with the old, kit prime SMC K 55 f/1.8. All shot in RAW, and went through my PP workflow using ACR...

K200D+smc K 55/1.8
02-27-2009, 09:18 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vinceloc Quote
Ahhh, I just love those old SMC Glass!!! The marketing people of today say "Get DA, AL, APO etc.. glass as they are "made" for digital... They are more contrasty, sharp and have minimum distortion!"

Well, I say that with digital, you have the opportunity to shoot in RAW and, with a little bit of effort, come up with the right PP workflow that gets the same result..

Case in point, these were taken with the old, kit prime SMC K 55 f/1.8. All shot in RAW, and went through my PP workflow using ACR...

K200D+smc K 55/1.8

Vincent, excellent shots!!

Although wth glass as good as that, regular JPEG works fine too! --> Super Tak 55 f/2

(pretty sure the K 55 1.8, 55 2, and Super Tak 55/2 are the same or very similar optical formula.)

02-27-2009, 05:06 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Vincent, excellent shots!!

Although wth glass as good as that, regular JPEG works fine too! --> Super Tak 55 f/2

(pretty sure the K 55 1.8, 55 2, and Super Tak 55/2 are the same or very similar optical formula.)

Thanks Jay!!

I guess what we have with the 55 oldies are the poor man's DA55

Just adapting to these terrible economic times, I guess. Let's face it, scrimping is in and splurging is out

02-28-2009, 03:15 AM   #35
Veteran Member

There's something about the 85 that is mesmerising.

Thank God I was "online" just as Jay posted up the For Sale thread for his Super Tak 85mm f/1.9 ... it will be forever treasured.

It's currently residing on an immaculate Spotmatic SP film camera at this point in time.
03-09-2009, 04:18 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Click, click, click, BANG!

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
even though I'm thrilled with my M100/2.8, I have to say that every time I see your M85/2 shots, I think again about picking one up. now I even have a specific purpose where I think it might come in handy: I'm going to be the one of the "official" photographers for a jazz festival next month that is taking place in a small club.

It seems it is going to be logistical nightmare - far more people normally attend this festival than fit in the club. I doubt I'll be able to be seated, and may be shooting from *on* stage, or the floor directly in front of the stage. I'm thinking 100mm is going to be a bit tight. And in fact, so might 85mm - I'll have a 50 with me too. If I could scrape up the money, I might go for the DA70, which I think complements my existing kit better (both in terms of focal length but also giving me more AF options). I don't suppose anyone has ever done a direct comparison of the 85 and 70?
After squeezing the trigger several times trying for an especially good deal on some M85/2 auctions, but coming up blanks, I finally couldn't pass on a DA70 when it came up on Amazon for only about $100 more than the M85/2 would cost from KEH. Hopefully it will show up before the jazz festival next weekend (ie, a week and a half from now).

That 85 still fascinates me, though. I'll probably keep trying those auctions from time to time...
03-09-2009, 04:58 PM   #37

My M85 2.0 arrived in the mail today. After going outside and taking a few quick shots of my dogs (with K20D)... I think I'm really going to enjoy this lens. It seems to 'snap' into focus better than my 70mm, but it may just be new-lens excitement clouding my judgement ;-p It also has a much longer focus throw than the 70mm, so that may be what I'm experiencing.

Metering in good light seemed right on... but it seemed to underexpose as the sun went down. More tests tomorrow.

03-09-2009, 05:20 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After squeezing the trigger several times trying for an especially good deal on some M85/2 auctions, but coming up blanks, I finally couldn't pass on a DA70 when it came up on Amazon for only about $100 more than the M85/2 would cost from KEH. Hopefully it will show up before the jazz festival next weekend (ie, a week and a half from now).

That 85 still fascinates me, though. I'll probably keep trying those auctions from time to time...
I really like my Super-Takumar 85mm f1.9 - it might fall short technically to other 85s, but it has character. It has also freed me from watching prices on other 85s. I'll match Jay's offer and even add in free cross-town delivery if your DA70 is late.
03-09-2009, 05:25 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Exciting, that 70 is always one that called to me. Nice.

QuoteOriginally posted by wildboar Quote
My M85 2.0 arrived in the mail today. After going outside and taking a few quick shots of my dogs (with K20D)... I think I'm really going to enjoy this lens. It seems to 'snap' into focus better than my 70mm, but it may just be new-lens excitement clouding my judgement ;-p It also has a much longer focus throw than the 70mm, so that may be what I'm experiencing.

Metering in good light seemed right on... but it seemed to underexpose as the sun went down. More tests tomorrow.

Please feel free to post shots in this thread and/or the M Club! thread - not many
folks here seem to have the M 85 f/2, and I'm always keen to see new images.

I recently sold the majority of my lenses (taxes, medical expenses, Nikon )
but when I was drawing up the for-sale list, there were two lenses I knew I'd
never part with - the M 85 f/2 was one.

Last edited by jsherman999; 03-09-2009 at 05:33 PM.
03-09-2009, 05:30 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I really like my Super-Takumar 85mm f1.9 - it might fall short technically to other 85s, but it has character. It has also freed me from watching prices on other 85s. I'll match Jay's offer and even add in free cross-town delivery if your DA70 is late.
That Super Tak 85 1.9 lacks nothing except a k-mount!

Crop:

08-06-2009, 10:08 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster

From today, all wide-open:

08-07-2009, 04:29 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Awesome shot with the K 55/1.8 Vincent. I may have to get one of those.

Jay - Sorry to hear about your medical expenses. Trust all is well.

Tom G
08-07-2009, 06:43 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Jay,

Are all of those recent shots with the M85/2? Great work as always. It's a great lens (bought one here on the forum at your recommendation). Nothing special, but here's a shot I took recently with the M85/2 and my K200.

08-07-2009, 07:47 AM   #44

My favorite elns is the S-M-C- takumar 1,4/50. But I can't find a l/mm ttest of it in the net.

Anybody knows about the test?
08-07-2009, 10:02 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote

Jay - Sorry to hear about your medical expenses. Trust all is well.

Tom G

Tom, thanks. All is well, just had a bunch of expenses hit at once and didn't want to ring up debt at that time.