Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2016, 06:59 PM   #1

Which lens to buy next? (And maybe some advice)

I began shooting with a K-50 a little over a year ago. In that time I've been using mostly manual lenses. The A-50mm 1.4 is by far my favorite with the A-28mm 2.8 being a close second. I've used the 35mm limited macro lens but found it hard to get the same sharpness and quality. Is there any Pentax-M or Pentax-A lenses aside from the ones I have that are worth checking out? Perhaps some pointers on why I'm not nailing my shots with an autofocus lens? I shoot mostly portrait shots.

08-26-2016, 07:43 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You seem to primarily be using prime lenses. If you want to stick with primes, and particularly if you're shooting portraits, you might want to look at longer focal lengths like the Pentax-A 85mm F1.4, an excellent lens but it is a bit spendy if you can find one. On the more budget oriented front but still excellent quality, the Pentax-A 100mm F2.8 (not the macro version) is also an excellent lens. But possibly your best bang for the buck could be the Pentax-A 135mm F2.8. In someways no kit is really complete without a 135mm lens. There's just something about that particular focal length.

As for auto focus issues, your camera might be suffering from front focus/back focus issues. There are numerous articles and threads on PF, and the internet in general, regarding this topic. Also might find Yvon Bourque's Auto Focus Charts webpage useful.

AFcharts.pdf - Google Drive
08-26-2016, 08:07 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
You seem to primarily be using prime lenses. If you want to stick with primes, and particularly if you're shooting portraits, you might want to look at longer focal lengths like the Pentax-A 85mm F1.4, an excellent lens but it is a bit spendy if you can find one. On the more budget oriented front but still excellent quality, the Pentax-A 100mm F2.8 (not the macro version) is also an excellent lens. But possibly your best bang for the buck could be the Pentax-A 135mm F2.8. In someways no kit is really complete without a 135mm lens. There's just something about that particular focal length.

As for auto focus issues, your camera might be suffering from front focus/back focus issues. There are numerous articles and threads on PF, and the internet in general, regarding this topic. Also might find Yvon Bourque's Auto Focus Charts webpage useful.

AFcharts.pdf - Google Drive
Thanks for the response!

From what I'm reading you may have solved my problem. It seems like close ups with autofocus go well, but a once the subject it more than 3 or more yards away the focus point is totally random. It'll lock on the subjects hand or a logo on their shirt.
08-26-2016, 08:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I like the M85/2 and the M35/2. You could also try to find the helios 44K, not pentax brand but a very interesting lens.

08-26-2016, 11:02 PM   #5
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've had really good results from my Pentax M 35mm f/2.8 lens..
08-30-2016, 06:08 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also remember to check your minimum focus distance. It's probably pretty close with the 35mm macro, but you can surprise yourself occasionally.

If you're doing a lot of isolation work, just use the center focus point. I think that's the only one which works with manual lenses, but if you mount a modern lens the camera may revert to using many points. That can confuse you.

What kind of photography do you want to do? You have the "normal" range with the 35mm. Do you want wider angle? Mid-telephoto? Close zoom (like 16-85)?
08-30-2016, 08:16 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know you asked for M or A lenses, but I actually like shooting with M42 lenses better than M. (I just use AV, focus wide open, then close down and shoot.) Among these, one I particularly enjoy is the SUPER TAKUMAR 150mm F4.

08-30-2016, 10:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
But possibly your best bang for the buck could be the Pentax-A 135mm F2.8. In someways no kit is really complete without a 135mm lens. There's just something about that particular focal length.
The M135/f3.5 is not too bad either. And much cheaper and easier to find.
08-30-2016, 10:56 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
The M135/f3.5 is not too bad either. And much cheaper and easier to find.
That one is surely best bang for your $.
A few K-series like the K35/3.5 would be worth a look.
The M or K 100 macros are always good.

Seb
08-30-2016, 04:02 PM   #10
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In someways no kit is really complete without a 135mm lens. There's just something about that particular focal length.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/276646-how-...ime-aps-c.html
08-30-2016, 05:37 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have an older M version of the 135mm that I used to use with my ME Super. I've found the focal length to be useful on the APS-C sensor for street work and portraiture. It is a fun length to play with but definitely not the same as it would be on FF sensor. That takes some adjustment. And truthfully, I don't use it a lot because it's an M lens, and I've gotten lazy in my old age. Plus my LBA has added many other lenses (newer, faster, sharper) to my inventory.
08-30-2016, 05:54 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why limit yourself to Pentax? There are some really great lenses than can be had at a reasonable price. These include the Sigma 70mm f2.8 EX DG macro and the Kiron / Lester A. Dine 105mm f2.8 Macro.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/sigma-70mm-f2-8-ex-dg-macro.html

Kiron / Lester A. Dine 105mm f2.8 Macro Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Also. I'd second the Pentax M 100mm f2.8. It's a wonderful lens.
08-30-2016, 05:55 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RoccCity Quote
Thanks for the response!

From what I'm reading you may have solved my problem. It seems like close ups with autofocus go well, but a once the subject it more than 3 or more yards away the focus point is totally random. It'll lock on the subjects hand or a logo on their shirt.

Take control, RoccCity - set to single point AF. Your sort of work needs precision, and that camera and lens will do it.