Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-28-2016, 07:10 AM   #1

77mm lens repair

This morning I just took out my camera K-3 for a photo shoot and noticed that my favorite lens, 77 mm is having trouble focusing. I could hear the grinding sound while it is trying to focus and the rings are falling apart . Lens is still under warranty and it expires in 15 days or so.

I called up B&H where I purchased and they said that I have to communicate with Pentax for warranty related. As Pentax Customer Care operates from Monday to Friday, just checking with you guys for advice if I'm on right track . Anything else I should be aware of or look into?

Thanks

08-28-2016, 07:47 AM   #2
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds like the same thing that happened to my 31. Seems the factory has been sloppy with the locktight on three screws holding the focusing ring in place. It's something the service people should be able to easily fix. The description @dcshooter gave indicated a five minute job, but I didn't feel like messing with such an expensive lens as my first "real" project and so sent it in. Came back within a week, if I recall correctly, but I'm not in the US.
08-28-2016, 10:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's really up to you on what kind of service you want on it: fast or free. If you want it free, go for warranty. But if it's worth $100 or so to get your favorite lens back in your possession in short order, there are many options on the forums here for that service.
05-05-2018, 05:46 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by indianswift Quote
This morning I just took out my camera K-3 for a photo shoot and noticed that my favorite lens, 77 mm is having trouble focusing. I could hear the grinding sound while it is trying to focus and the rings are falling apart . Lens is still under warranty and it expires in 15 days or so.

I called up B&H where I purchased and they said that I have to communicate with Pentax for warranty related. As Pentax Customer Care operates from Monday to Friday, just checking with you guys for advice if I'm on right track . Anything else I should be aware of or look into?

Thanks
Hi,

I am having a similar problem to your FA 77. Curious about what happened to yours - did Precision Camera repair it?

Thank you.

05-05-2018, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Lens Disassembly Database - PentaxForums.com
05-05-2018, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

I had the very same thing happening to my first Fa77. I tried to repair it myself, a very bad idea. I think this is caused by a loose screw which than enables fokusing to brake stuff. I still got the lens, the glas elements are all fine, but I killed a screw which cannot get out now...
05-06-2018, 12:29 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Thank you Angerdan. The information was so detailed that it scared me from attempting to fix it myself. I am looking to just send it somewhere to get it fixed. I am too weak hearted to attempt fixing myself.

---------- Post added 05-06-18 at 12:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
I had the very same thing happening to my first Fa77. I tried to repair it myself, a very bad idea. I think this is caused by a loose screw which than enables fokusing to brake stuff. I still got the lens, the glas elements are all fine, but I killed a screw which cannot get out now...
Thank you Worksasintended for saving me from myself. I will assume that this Pentax 77mm Works as intended.