Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
10-13-2016, 04:54 PM   #46
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My one suggestion to your plan is to consider putting the 70-300 aside for a Raynox dcr 250 close up filter. The filter is supplied with a clip on adapter that fits 52-67mm lenses. This would fit the 50mm and with a step ring it would be potentially useful on the 16-85.

My reason for this suggestion is simply weight and space vs opportunities. However given the fact that it won't directly fit your lenses some testing and validation would be prudent.

You could also add the dcr-150 to the mix - for use on the DFA 150-450 but there again you will need a step ring and I have not tried that lens combo. Surprisingly despite the small 49mm glass involved it may not vignette on the telephoto - but only testing will verify this.

Alternately take a simple deglassed teleconverter to use with the 50mm.

It is easy to have too much gear with you and overload yourself.
Thanks for the advice I would take the tamron even if I had a better macro option in case I have a problem with the rented 150 -450. I own the tamron and am working with it it is the "longest" lens i own.

I rented a 150 -450 from the same people and had it for 4 days however no guarantee that I would get same exact lens next summer and 4 days isn't a whole lot of time to get use to it

Just being careful

I do have an old Vivitar manual 2x time converter may be I will look for ways to modify it as you suggest. Can you point me in the right direction

If I went the purchase option I would go for one that fits something I own

10-13-2016, 07:31 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
Thanks for the advice I would take the tamron even if I had a better macro option in case I have a problem with the rented 150 -450. I own the tamron and am working with it it is the "longest" lens i own.

I rented a 150 -450 from the same people and had it for 4 days however no guarantee that I would get same exact lens next summer and 4 days isn't a whole lot of time to get use to it

Just being careful

I do have an old Vivitar manual 2x time converter may be I will look for ways to modify it as you suggest. Can you point me in the right direction

If I went the purchase option I would go for one that fits something I own
Most teleconvertets have easily removed glass. Look in yours and see if there is a ring that a spanner will fit. Twist thatvring out and most of the work is done.
10-14-2016, 04:29 AM   #48
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Most teleconvertets have easily removed glass. Look in yours and see if there is a ring that a spanner will fit. Twist thatvring out and most of the work is done.

" Most " ????

Most feared words in the English language around Christmas "some assembly required "

This thread seems like it might offer more info

macro-photography/288213-how-

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-14-2016 at 05:00 AM.
11-25-2017, 10:31 PM   #49

Hello, I'm new to the forum and decided to look up the topic of Wyoming, all the advice here looks very useful and I will be checking in more often.

I live in Wyoming and am in the beginning phase of planning a participation in a 4-day wildlife photography trip to Yellowstone early next year organized by a professional photographer. I've been to Yellowstone during an August camping trip and I realize that a winter trip will be different. Any advice is welcome. I have a Pentax K50 with the lenses that came with it, 18-55 and 50-200, based on what I read here most of you seem to recommend the 55-300 lens and I'm planning to get that lens, but there are more opinions in this discussion thread about which DA Limited to choose.

thank you, Kommi

11-26-2017, 03:38 AM   #50
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kommi Quote
Hello, I'm new to the forum and decided to look up the topic of Wyoming, all the advice here looks very useful and I will be checking in more often.

I live in Wyoming and am in the beginning phase of planning a participation in a 4-day wildlife photography trip to Yellowstone early next year organized by a professional photographer. I've been to Yellowstone during an August camping trip and I realize that a winter trip will be different. Any advice is welcome. I have a Pentax K50 with the lenses that came with it, 18-55 and 50-200, based on what I read here most of you seem to recommend the 55-300 lens and I'm planning to get that lens, but there are more opinions in this discussion thread about which DA Limited to choose.

thank you, Kommi
Have you asked your guide for suggestions

The distance between you and your target might be different during winter than what you might expect at different times of the year

Dress in layers

Good luck
11-26-2017, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kommi Quote

thank you, Kommi
You may know more about weather in Wyoming than I do but I am taking this opportunity to respond what is 1 year and 3 months after I started this thread and the trip is now a memory but the photographs live on. Yellowstone in mid September when we went had very variable weather ranging from below freezing mornings to mild afternoons when we took our jackets off. I would expect by now, it is winter there and that is what you need to prepare for.
On to lenses, I took my K-5 (backup) and K-3 (primary) with the DA 15, 21 and 40 Limiteds, DA 17-70 and HD DA 55-300 WR lenses. The most used lens by far was the DA 17-70 despite its sometimes balky autofocus, followed by the HD DA 55-300 for wildlife. In most cases, 300mm was long enough and I would have wished for greater focal length only for the few times we saw eagles at a distance. I attached an example where 300mm was long enough and I kept a safe distance. The only other lens that got used was the DA 15 Limited for some shots where widest angle was needed.
Ironically both zoom lenses used on this trip are no longer getting any use. The DA 17-70 SDM quit working and rather than repairing it I put the money toward a gently used DA 16-85. The HD DA 55-300 is a spare backup, which I will likely sell, to the new PLM version of the lens. If you have or are considering either of these lenses, they would be great choices for this trip, sharp, easy to carry, and compared to primes, minimize lens changes. I would have loved to had the 16-85 and the PLM when I went on this trip
Good Luck with your trip.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
11-26-2017, 09:09 AM   #52
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

you could consider renting a lens

I have used lensrental.com out of Tennessee and right now they are running a special if you order by 11/27

US Pentax Deal Roundup - Week of November 20, 2017 - PentaxForums.com

of course, they are not the only place that rents lenses and cameras.

11-26-2017, 01:19 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
The HD DA 55-300 is a spare backup, which I will likely sell, to the new PLM version of the lens. I would have loved to had the 16-85 and the PLM when I went on this trip
Good Luck with your trip.
Maybe stupid for me to ask the question but why do you want to get the PLM now, in particular taking into account that your trip is now memories ?

I see the obvious improvement on the AF, but that aside, I'd not expect greatly improved picture or whatever... I'd say if you really want something better than the 55-300, the 60-250 or 150-450 look like more significant updades.

The 55-300 is getting small change every few year. The HD version was already a change from the previous one. The PLM is another update. I'd not be surprised if the 70-300 on the roadmap would bring some more benefits (like significant sharpness boost) when becoming available and that you'll want to upgrade again !
11-27-2017, 04:43 AM - 1 Like   #54
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Maybe stupid for me to ask the question but why do you want to get the PLM now, in particular taking into account that your trip is now memories ?

I see the obvious improvement on the AF, but that aside, I'd not expect greatly improved picture or whatever... I'd say if you really want something better than the 55-300, the 60-250 or 150-450 look like more significant updades.

The 55-300 is getting small change every few year. The HD version was already a change from the previous one. The PLM is another update. I'd not be surprised if the 70-300 on the roadmap would bring some more benefits (like significant sharpness boost) when becoming available and that you'll want to upgrade again !
To answer your question, I upgraded to the PLM version over a year ago. Having the PLM lens for a year now I can say you are correct that the upgrade is not a big one in terms of sharpness, even though it is a bit sharper. That is missing the very big reason, for me, why I made the upgrade and that is autofocus. For wildlife photography, in particular birds the autofocus is like night and day better. Totally silent and much faster. Maybe you may not consider that a good reason but for me it is huge. I have gotten shots of birds in flight that I could never get with the older version. I also have another and personal reason, I am 65 now and have developed tremors in hands. Big heavy lenses are not the best option for me, let alone cost. I would have loved to have bought the 150-450 but it was too large and expensive for me.

Last edited by jddwoods; 11-27-2017 at 04:49 AM.
11-27-2017, 07:31 AM   #55
Veteran Member

I made such a trip about a year and a half ago. I took my 14mm Rokinon, my 15mm Limited, my 20-40mm Limited, my 77mm Limited, and my 55-300 ED WR, and maybe some other primes, I don't remember. In practice, I just used the 15, the 20-40, and the 55-300. There was so much going on that I had to minimize lens changes.
11-27-2017, 02:21 PM   #56
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
My keep it simple kit would be the two zooms
My keep it lightweight kit would be the DA 15, 21 and 40 Limiteds and the HD DA 55-300 zoom.
I've not been to any of those parks, but I would suggest buying or renting a DA 16-85 to use along with your 55-300 WR, and perhaps pack the DA 15/4 (just in case you really need that last one mm, or a dramatic starburst would be "just too perfect" to miss).

WR is really nice for a lot of outdoor shooting, and to minimize the changing of lenses would also be very helpful, methinks -- 16-85 and 55-300 would likely cover just about anything you'd need with a bit of useful overlap, I'll bet, and I would assume that fevered lens swaps (as opposed to strategic in-advance lens choices) could be mostly avoided.

However, one has to decide sometimes between whether a particular vacation is an actual jen-you-wine vacation or is a dedicated photo shoot...
11-27-2017, 02:45 PM   #57
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I second the recommendation of the HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm

in my first trip to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone National Parks in late May of this year ( had some snow but nothing like it will be now ) I took numerous lenses but I only used the HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR mounted on a Pentax K 5 II and the HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW mounted on a K 3

those two covered most every situation I encountered.
11-27-2017, 06:09 PM   #58
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
I've not been to any of those parks, but I would suggest buying or renting a DA 16-85 to use along with your 55-300 WR, and perhaps pack the DA 15/4 (just in case you really need that last one mm, or a dramatic starburst would be "just too perfect" to miss).

WR is really nice for a lot of outdoor shooting, and to minimize the changing of lenses would also be very helpful, methinks -- 16-85 and 55-300 would likely cover just about anything you'd need with a bit of useful overlap, I'll bet, and I would assume that fevered lens swaps (as opposed to strategic in-advance lens choices) could be mostly avoided.

However, one has to decide sometimes between whether a particular vacation is an actual jen-you-wine vacation or is a dedicated photo shoot...
Actually I bought the 55-300 PLM and also a barely used 16-85 some time after I returned from this trip. Next trip out, it will be the 16-85 and the 55-300 PLM that I will be bringing, along with the SMC DA 15 Limited. So, I wholeheartedly agree with your recommendation. This kit still leaves me enough space to add another prime or two, such as FA 50 f1.7 for low light needs or DFA 100 Macro if there will be macro opportunities. All I have to figure out is where our next bucket list trip will be. Perhaps whale watching up in New England. You had some beautiful shots on another thread and they got me tempted.
11-28-2017, 05:07 AM   #59
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I second the recommendation of the HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm

in my first trip to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone National Parks in late May of this year ( had some snow but nothing like it will be now ) I took numerous lenses but I only used the HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR mounted on a Pentax K 5 II and the HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW mounted on a K 3

those two covered most every situation I encountered.
Allen,that would be my ideal set up if funds allowed a second body and to replace my 55-300
11-28-2017, 05:13 AM   #60
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Allen,that would be my ideal set up if funds allowed a second body and to replace my 55-300
hmm

the truth raises its " ugly " head

for most of us, [ the non professionals among us ] spending on cameras and lenses and other gear is not a priority ( nor should it be )

perhaps you could get lucky and find an " experienced " one at a good price

it can happen