Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2016, 06:26 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma 70-300mm DL Macro

So I ruined my first K mount lens (not the first lens I have ruined just the first since I switched to Pentax). It got dumped in a pond. The lens was a Sigma DL Macro 70-300 and fortunately it was cheap but it is not submersible . Well luck has it I found another one even cheaper to replace it ($30 shipped). This is a big lens and kind of slow, but I am reminded how great a lens this is for the money. Anyone looking for a good AF long tele zoom on a budget this lens is worth hunting for. Of course I had to test the replacement lens since it showed up today, here is a shot.

And there are of course reviews also: Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DL Macro Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

08-29-2016, 06:34 PM   #2
a5m
Veteran Member

I agree this is a super lens. I have a copy too and it delivers outstanding performance for the money. This particular version, the 'DL Macro', is the best one from all the different versions that Sigma makes. It was a bit confusing figuring out which ones are which but the one you posted the link to above is definitely a must have.

Curious to know how you're finding this copy compared to you other one that went swimming without knowing how to .
08-29-2016, 06:43 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by a5m Quote
I agree this is a super lens. I have a copy too and it delivers outstanding performance for the money. This particular version, the 'DL Macro', is the best one from all the different versions that Sigma makes. It was a bit confusing figuring out which ones are which but the one you posted the link to above is definitely a must have.

Curious to know how you're finding this copy compared to you other one that went swimming without knowing how to .
If anything this one may have a little better color and contrast. The glass looks very clean, no fog or scratches (comparing the old one before dumping, not after )
08-29-2016, 07:40 PM   #4
a5m
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KC0PET Quote
If anything this one may have a little better color and contrast. The glass looks very clean, no fog or scratches (comparing the old one before dumping, not after )
Lol yea my copy has some haze or something deposited on one of the inner elements but it still produces excellent images. Maybe yours had something similar pre-dump. I thought about a CLA but it'd probably cost the same to buy another copy.

Check out this flickr group for this lens that has some amazing images: Sigma 70-300 f4-5.6 DL Macro.

I may do a comparison against my HD DA 55-300 some day just to see how it fares. It may not be as good as the Pentax especially on the long end but considering the price you really can't complain.

08-30-2016, 05:22 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by a5m Quote
Lol yea my copy has some haze or something deposited on one of the inner elements but it still produces excellent images. Maybe yours had something similar pre-dump. I thought about a CLA but it'd probably cost the same to buy another copy.

Check out this flickr group for this lens that has some amazing images: Sigma 70-300 f4-5.6 DL Macro.

I may do a comparison against my HD DA 55-300 some day just to see how it fares. It may not be as good as the Pentax especially on the long end but considering the price you really can't complain.
I had a copy many years ago that I bought new. The price was not bad even for new. In terms of resolution, it is actually very good. Contrast was a little low but can be adjusted easily in LR. For the price you paid, it is a fantastic lens.
08-30-2016, 09:59 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KC0PET Quote
So I ruined my first K mount lens (not the first lens I have ruined just the first since I switched to Pentax). It got dumped in a pond. The lens was a Sigma DL Macro 70-300 and fortunately it was cheap but it is not submersible . Well luck has it I found another one even cheaper to replace it ($30 shipped). This is a big lens and kind of slow, but I am reminded how great a lens this is for the money. Anyone looking for a good AF long tele zoom on a budget this lens is worth hunting for. Of course I had to test the replacement lens since it showed up today, here is a shot.

And there are of course reviews also: Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DL Macro Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
I had one too and was very happy with it. My copy didn't go for a swim. I dropped it. It worked with some limitations ....would AF to about 200mm. Beyond that I would have to manually focus. Also the FL in the EXIF file was off...Took a pic at 300 and it would say 190mm. I decidec to become a lens repair guy and finish ruining it. I think I paid $30.00 for it. I since picked up a Tokina 75-300 AF 4.5-5.6 push pull zoom...a heavy beast. Here are two...no PP, just resized. This lens has a blue ring at the front.
Tokina 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 AF Lens Reviews - Tokina Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
09-01-2016, 01:07 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I have and old copy of one of those lenses. It came as a "kit" with a DA 18-55 with my K10D. This was pre DA 55-300 days so the Sigma 70-300 was one of the few telephoto zoom choices available to Pentax shooters. I always got good results with mine and it still gets used. The "macro" mode works exceptionally well. I dropped mine a few years ago and the zoom mechanism is kind of broken. Turning the zoom ring does nothing but lens zooms by sliding it in and out. It does still work however and optically, it wasn't damaged at all. As cheap as they are, I should probably buy another one.

Just out of curiosity, do any K1 owners have one of these kicking around and are using it? It is a FF lens. I have a friend who gets some pretty good results with a 70-300 on his D700 but there is a huge megapickle difference between that body and the 36MP of the D810 or K1. This is just a curiosity question, not a serious suggestion that a $140 film era zoom should be your main choice for a tele zoom for your new K1. I mostly use mine now for macro/close up shots from my kayak where the 200-300 mm range works very well.

09-01-2016, 01:30 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I had the 70-300mm DL but sold it with my bumblebee K-01, I thought it was quite good.

I use a few other Sigmas, the 100-300 slow Fstop version produces quite good images on K50, ive also tried it on K1 and its OK.The 100/300s are bargains too, find them on old film cameras with 28/80 and 28/90s.