Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2016, 04:28 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
16-50: best way to sell?

Hi everyone.

So I have a 16-50 that I received in trade when I obtained my Pentax kit. It's big and heavy and honestly, I'm not really a zoom guy.

It does squeak when focusing with SDM and it's not in new condition - it's definitely well taken care of though. No lens hood, but it can be replaced.

So, I'm thinking of selling it so I can get the 35/2.8 macro lens and perhaps a simple kit zoom for when I need variable focal lengths.

What's the best route I should take?

I was planning on converting to screw drive, but since SDM still works, I'm not going through the exercise.

How does Pentax lens value hold up if I sell via Adorama or B&H? I've always had a good experience with both vendors.

Similarly, is the 16-50 still a lens that's in high demand? If that's the case, then I may just sell via the forum...

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

08-30-2016, 04:32 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We have a Pentax forums marketplace. You have to be a site supporter or get access via purchases made via the site support links to B&H, or Adorama.
08-30-2016, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Offer to cover the SDM conversion fee Uncle Vanya charges if it fails (thus offering effectively a failure guarantee), or perhaps to convert it before dispatch at the buyer's specific request?
08-30-2016, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
Ah. Ok. Thanks for the responses guys - all good input.

What I can do is purchase what I want via the affiliate links, then post my lens on the board, also offering the guarantee if required.

08-30-2016, 05:22 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Flipmack Quote
Ah. Ok. Thanks for the responses guys - all good input.

What I can do is purchase what I want via the affiliate links, then post my lens on the board, also offering the guarantee if required.
GreedBay is an alternate option but the marketplace here is a good option.
08-30-2016, 06:15 PM - 1 Like   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You'll probably be able to get the most for it by selling it directly to someone that's interested. I'd recommend listing it on the Marketplace.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-30-2016, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #7

Selling in the marketplace used to be great. Unfortunately, it's been much more difficult for me lately. Perhaps the heavily discounted prices at authorized dealers like B&H and Adorama have made people less willing to buy used. Selling on greedbay (I like that name UncleVanya) is definitely more expensive but at least you know your item will sell.

08-30-2016, 07:43 PM   #8

Original Poster
I don't sell on eBay anymore due to final value fees and their preference towards buyer protection over seller protection.

I would definitely heavily discount the lens if selling here - and include a credit for UncleVanya's services should the lens fail (knock on wood).

I typically buy used ALL THE TIME, since for the most part, I could still trust photographers who are active in a community and like me, every photographer has GAS and,goes through gear all the time. I've had great luck on all of the forums I've participated in over the years and hope to find the same success rate here.

---------- Post added 08-30-16 at 07:50 PM ----------

Truth be told, I'm on the fence with selling the lens since it still works well and is a pretty useful focal length. My desire to convert it to screw drive is driven (no pun intended) largely by paranoia and because deep down, I really love to tinker.

However, I do thank everyone for the input.
08-31-2016, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Similarly, is the 16-50 still a lens that's in high demand? If that's the case, then I may just sell via the forum...
I concur with the above advice, though I'd suggest that most of us have only a partial knowledge of the total market. I perceive the market may be softening just a bit for that lens. I bought a good 16-50 used from the Marketplace here in early 2015. The lens included all the expected items: box, pouch, end caps, and it also came with a good circular polarizer and UV filter. The SDM was, and still is, working, though it had been repaired a few years earlier. I paid $625 for the entire outfit, which seemed to be a good deal at the time. I've watched a few 16-50's on the Marketplace here and noted that they remained there for a while, and had some minor price reductions. From looking at the listings, I don't think I could get $625 for my 16-50 + accessories, currently. I'm thinking in the low $500's is about where it would sell in today's market.

The 16-50 is a very good lens and gives great photos. A very high percentage of people who have that lens or are looking to buy it know of its pros and cons. The SDM issue you mention would cause a mark down, most likely. The 16-50 is probably the lens most well known for SDM failure and I'm thinking some purchasers would interpret the SDM squeaking as "its going to fail soon". So an answer for the SDM squeaking is probably necessary.

Now, about the lens hood.... yes, they can be replaced, but those seem to be really expensive for what they are - just a piece of plastic with no moving parts (aside from the removable window for polarizer adjustments). If these things were a Wal-Mart item they would be at most 2 bucks. But we see today they are $59.95 at B&H. (Pentax PH-RBJ 77mm Lens Hood for SCMP-DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 ED 38753) So you might have to figure that in the price or negotiation as well.

I haven't looked at prices for the 16-50 on ebay, but my first thought is you would do better selling it on the Marketplace here, where the purchasers are capable, focused, and educated.

My $0.02. Hope this helps.
08-31-2016, 05:56 AM - 1 Like   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
Now, about the lens hood.... yes, they can be replaced, but those seem to be really expensive for what they are - just a piece of plastic with no moving parts (aside from the removable window for polarizer adjustments). If these things were a Wal-Mart item they would be at most 2 bucks. But we see today they are $59.95 at B&H.
Probably pickup a knockoff lens hood for under $10 on EBay. I picked one up for my 18-55 WR, not knowing it came with a hood, and the knockoff is identical, including filter window for around $4. Of course disclose when selling, that it has an aftermarket hood. Or may find a used one also. I agree pricing for the name brand hoods are extremely high!

You could also just sell it minus the hood, discounting appropriately. There's one on Marketplace right now that does not have the hood.

Last edited by csa; 08-31-2016 at 06:38 AM.
08-31-2016, 07:56 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I concur with the above advice, though I'd suggest that most of us have only a partial knowledge of the total market. I perceive the market may be softening just a bit for that lens. I bought a good 16-50 used from the Marketplace here in early 2015. The lens included all the expected items: box, pouch, end caps, and it also came with a good circular polarizer and UV filter. The SDM was, and still is, working, though it had been repaired a few years earlier. I paid $625 for the entire outfit, which seemed to be a good deal at the time. I've watched a few 16-50's on the Marketplace here and noted that they remained there for a while, and had some minor price reductions. From looking at the listings, I don't think I could get $625 for my 16-50 + accessories, currently. I'm thinking in the low $500's is about where it would sell in today's market.

The 16-50 is a very good lens and gives great photos. A very high percentage of people who have that lens or are looking to buy it know of its pros and cons. The SDM issue you mention would cause a mark down, most likely. The 16-50 is probably the lens most well known for SDM failure and I'm thinking some purchasers would interpret the SDM squeaking as "its going to fail soon". So an answer for the SDM squeaking is probably necessary.

Now, about the lens hood.... yes, they can be replaced, but those seem to be really expensive for what they are - just a piece of plastic with no moving parts (aside from the removable window for polarizer adjustments). If these things were a Wal-Mart item they would be at most 2 bucks. But we see today they are $59.95 at B&H. (Pentax PH-RBJ 77mm Lens Hood for SCMP-DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 ED 38753) So you might have to figure that in the price or negotiation as well.

I haven't looked at prices for the 16-50 on ebay, but my first thought is you would do better selling it on the Marketplace here, where the purchasers are capable, focused, and educated.

My $0.02. Hope this helps.
More like the mid $400's if you're lucky now a days.
08-31-2016, 08:01 AM   #12

Original Poster
I don't think I could get $625 for my 16-50 + accessories, currently. I'm thinking in the low $500's is about where it would sell in today's market.
Knowing your valuation, relatively speaking, I'd probably sell my 16-50 in the low $300's - just enough to recoup my cost in purchasing the 35/2.8 macro lens and a kit zoom from the used market.
08-31-2016, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Knowing your valuation, relatively speaking, I'd probably sell my 16-50 in the low $300's - just enough to recoup my cost in purchasing the 35/2.8 macro lens and a kit zoom from the used market.
From what I have seen that's appropriate for today's market for failed or failing SDM. I think you have hit the nail on the head.
08-31-2016, 12:46 PM   #14

Original Poster
So I just bought a Raynox DCR-250...this ought to satisfy my macro cravings in the short term and will allow me to find my peace with the 16-50. I've used a Raynox DCR-150 in the past and I've been happy with it.

As I said before, SDM on the 16-50 hasn't failed, so I wanted to just get a better understanding of the best way to sell it, should I decide to sell.

I'm happy to receive feedback and input from the community. I would definitely post my items for sale here when it's time to do so.
08-31-2016, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So I just bought a Raynox DCR-250...this ought to satisfy my macro cravings in the short term and will allow me to find my peace with the 16-50. I've used a Raynox DCR-150 in the past and I've been happy with it.

As I said before, SDM on the 16-50 hasn't failed, so I wanted to just get a better understanding of the best way to sell it, should I decide to sell.

I'm happy to receive feedback and input from the community. I would definitely post my items for sale here when it's time to do so.
The Raynox is a nice bit of equipment. The 250 is typically used on longer lenses for very high magnification results. This site will help:

Using Raynox Adapters For Extreme Macro