Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2016, 02:34 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How to get an hexagonal bokeh

Hi, In my photo club, I have an "homework" to make a picture of something related to hexagonal form. I thought I'd make an image with a Bokeh that looks like hexagonal form.

Which pentax k-mount lens can produce an hexagonal bokeh ?

thanks

08-31-2016, 02:42 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any lens with 6 aperture blades will do nicely. A longer focal length with a fast aperture might make things easier and give you more flexibility:

6 Blades Pentax Lenses | PentaxForums.com

6 Blades Pentax M42 Lenses | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-31-2016, 02:55 AM - 1 Like   #3

Photos: Albums
A cheap lens, although not in K-Mount, are the later (black) Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50mm 2.8. They can be had for a song, and a third party M42 adapter is cheap, too.

You can see for yourself, here are some photos taken with the lens from wide open to stopped down:

08-31-2016, 02:59 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Any lens with 6 aperture blades will do nicely. A longer focal length with a fast aperture might make things easier and give you more flexibility:

6 Blades Pentax Lenses | PentaxForums.com

6 Blades Pentax M42 Lenses | PentaxForums.com

Cool! Thanks Adam, I'll check if I wouldn't have a lens in those categories!

EDIT: I have the F 50mm 1,7... cool! I think I'll use that one stopped down... other than that the only other one I have is the FE 10-17 ... might not be the best for bokeh!

QuoteOriginally posted by antipattern Quote
A cheap lens, although not in K-Mount, are the later (black) Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50mm 2.8. They can be had for a song, and a third party M42 adapter is cheap, too.

You can see for yourself, here are some photos taken with the lens from wide open to stopped down:
Interesting! You mean this lens is M42, and I'd need a M42 to PK adapter ?

Last edited by Weevil; 08-31-2016 at 03:09 AM.
08-31-2016, 04:00 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
EDIT: I have the F 50mm 1,7... cool!
It should do nicely. If you have, by chance, the Vivitar 70-210 series 1, it's among the "best" for that kind of patterns:

08-31-2016, 04:42 AM   #6
Pentaxian

... other than that the only other one I have is the FE 10-17 ... might not be the best for bokeh!
I haven't gotten around to trying it vs. out of focus highlights, but I've managed some pretty wicked hexagonal patterns from my probably-not-immaculately-clean fisheye. These are extreme conditions and not something I usually see by accident, iso400, 0.5s, f/22 in a dark barn with the sun shining directly on the lens through a little crack. Left is the full image, right is a crop.

08-31-2016, 05:13 AM   #7

Any lens you want. Just make your own filter. Sorry for the lens they used but works with any lens.
DIY - Create Your Own Bokeh - DIY Photography
08-31-2016, 05:14 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can't you also create a mask of hexagon shape to put in front of the lens and shoot wide open? That lets you use any lens.

DIY - Create Your Own Bokeh - DIY Photography

08-31-2016, 05:16 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You might also look for a lens with a "Waterhouse stop" (Waterhouse stop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) or try this hack (Make an Easy-to-Swap Bokeh Modifier Kit). Then you could make the bokeh any shape you want.
08-31-2016, 05:49 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Cut out the shape in card. Hold it up/attach it to front element of lenses. Shoot your subject.
08-31-2016, 02:23 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
ok, thanks for all your advices ! I'll try them...
09-10-2016, 04:55 AM   #12
Pentaxian

EDIT: I have the F 50mm 1,7... cool! I think I'll use that one stopped down... other than that the only other one I have is the FE 10-17 ... might not be the best for bokeh!
lens with higher mm number and lower f-number will give "more" bokeh. But the other thing is to use near focus - at closest focus, you will almost always get some bokeh. So even that Fisheye, you can zoom to 17mm, switch to MF and focus away from infinity (and move close to the subject until it comes into focus), and Av mode at lowest f-number. But if you want hexagonal bokeh, then you need to look into the lens and see when its aperture blades look like at different apertures. The F 50mm f1.7 should be hexagonal from f3.5 onward.

The other way is to make your own aperture plate and put it in front of the lens. Just make a cutout out of cardboard and put it on the front, like a filter. You will have to experiment with the size of the opening, though.

To get "bokeh" to show up the best you can use something like christmas lights in the background.
09-10-2016, 05:42 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Cut out the shape in card. Hold it up/attach it to front element of lenses. Shoot your subject.
Exactly. Take a piece of black cardboard, cut a circle to fit it into the filter threads. Cut a hexagon hole in the centre so that the opposing points are about equal to the radius of your card.

To make a five point star bokeh, cut a star shape. For a heart, cut a heart.