Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2016, 08:48 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some questions about using manual focus lenses on K-3 II

I am thinking about picking up a Samyang 85 1.4 lens. I have a couple of questions.
1. If I am correct it has the "A" option on aperture ring. Will this allow me to set the lens with the camera controls? Will it meter by pressing shutter button?
2. Will I have to let the camera know what focal length is on the camera each time I mount it?
3. Will focus peaking work in LV?
4. Can I set up one of the User modes for this lens so I can switch to that mode each time I mount the lens so I can work quickly?

Thanks for your help!

08-31-2016, 09:12 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sarge Quote
I am thinking about picking up a Samyang 85 1.4 lens. I have a couple of questions.
1. If I am correct it has the "A" option on aperture ring. Will this allow me to set the lens with the camera controls? Will it meter by pressing shutter button?
2. Will I have to let the camera know what focal length is on the camera each time I mount it?
3. Will focus peaking work in LV?
4. Can I set up one of the User modes for this lens so I can switch to that mode each time I mount the lens so I can work quickly?

Thanks for your help!
1) Yes it has an A button - my Rokinon 8mm Fisheye is the same manufacturer and I use it that way all the time. Av mode allows control of the aperture as does any mode (M, HyP, etc) that permits you to control aperture - Tv works allowing the camera to set the Aperture as does P etc.

2) No - you have to supply focal length - the A series lens mount standard does not include any CPU in the lens to communicate this info from. It is able to passively tell the camera the max aperture and that's all it needs to know to allow for aperture automation.

3) It should - it does for me.

4) I don't recall - I have not tried this. I am 99.99% sure that this will not set the focal length for shake reduction / exif. You will likely need to set that via menu or turn off and on the camera to be prompted.
08-31-2016, 09:13 AM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sarge Quote
1. If I am correct it has the "A" option on aperture ring. Will this allow me to set the lens with the camera controls? Will it meter by pressing shutter button? yes
2. Will I have to let the camera know what focal length is on the camera each time I mount it? every time you turn the camera on with that lens mounted, yes
3. Will focus peaking work in LV? don't know- don't use LiveView that often
4. Can I set up one of the User modes for this lens so I can switch to that mode each time I mount the lens so I can work quickly? yes

Thanks for your help!

see above....
08-31-2016, 09:15 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Yes "A" will give you full functionality of all the modes. You don't have to stop-down for metering. Peaking works and focus indicator through the view finder. You do have to input the focal length. Unsure about the user mode question, but, I don't think focal length is one of the settings that can be saved.

Last edited by sundr; 08-31-2016 at 09:22 AM.
08-31-2016, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sundr Quote
Yes "A" will give you full functionality of all the modes.
...with one small qualifier applicable to all KA mount lenses in regards to P-TTL flash. P-TTL works best when it has detailed information regarding focus distance via the "data" pin on the lens mount (found on AF lenses only). Without that information, pre-flash intensity is not tailored to subject distance. The result is a "fault state" at high ISO and/or close distance where the flash fails over to full intensity regardless of the pre-flash metering.

In general use, this is usually not a problem, but should be anticipated when doing closeup work.

Steve
08-31-2016, 11:22 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I could be mistaken here, but aren't there two versions of the 85 /1.4? One with auto aperture control and one without? Worth making sure when ordering... I know the one I have in Sony A-mount doesn't have it.
08-31-2016, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I could be mistaken here, but aren't there two versions of the 85 /1.4? One with auto aperture control and one without? Worth making sure when ordering... I know the one I have in Sony A-mount doesn't have it.
The non-Pentax versions of the 85mm may or may not have auto-aperture, but the K-mount version has always had A contacts and auto-aperture control - I have an early gold-band copy, and it is KA-mount. They can do this because all it requires is a couple dimples filled with epoxy resin on the mount plate - no electronics or additional linkages.

Because many (most? all?) sellers of Samyang/Roki/Bow/Viv/etc. lenses only use one picture for all versions of each lens - usually a Nikon-mount - the legend persists that there are K- and KA- versions, even in new designs. Every one of my SamRokBowinon lenses is KA-mount. It wouldn't make sense for Samyang to split the small K-mount production even smaller with K- and KA- versions, and no one has ever posted photos of an actual K-but-not-KA SamRokBowinon lens - they always turn out to be F-mount.
08-31-2016, 01:34 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

^^^ Thanks, Todd - you've cleared up something that has confused me for some time!