Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2016, 07:43 AM   #1

new to forum with questions

1-I had a Canon for 12 years and liked the K-1-so i now own a K-1

2-Saw a macro for the K-1 but is said it had a KAF mount- what will loose with that mount?

3-I used extension tubes to take pictures of Zipper teeth (before) - Are there extension tubes for
the macro lens above??

Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge
smg

09-01-2016, 12:28 PM   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hello and welcome to the forum!

1 - Congratz! Good choice!
2 - Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series I think we need to know what series the lens is from to answer that.
3 - Yes, Pentax hasn't changed it's basic mount since the old screw mount. Any extension tubes with a K-Mount will work with any modern body and lens.
09-01-2016, 12:41 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most places use Kaf mount as the autofocus K mount generically without any nuances. It really isn't enough info but that's the way it is. With the actual lens name we can help.

The current autofocus Macro lenses for the K-1 from Pentax would be the D FA 50mm f/2.8 and the D FA 100mm f/2.8 (WR and non-WR) as well as the older F and FA versions of these lenses. There are also lenses from other manufacturers that would work as well.

Extension tubes work but most are not fully automatic. Most lack autofocus and many lack aperture automation. There are also manual bellows you can use for variable extension length. Another technique used for extreme macro is reversing a lens in front of another lens and mounting them front to front.
09-02-2016, 04:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
To add to the previous posts, if you get a recent lens (like the 100mm macro WR or the 35mm macro) without an aperture ring, using manual tubes or bellows will not let you control the aperture, which will make things tricky. Using an older version macro lens (for instance, the FA50mm F2.8 comes to mind) with an aperture ring will let you control things manually.

09-04-2016, 02:57 PM   #5

Original Poster
extension tubes for a K-1

Guys
thanks for your responses. I got a set of extension tubes and as you state, I have no aperture. My K-1 only shows
F---. I did not find any way to trick the Pentax K-1, to set a aperture that I want, and it would hold it
for the extension tubes. Does the camera go to max aperture, and stay there when the lens is removed, or power
shut off to change lenses. ( I used to shut everything off and cover the camera to change the tubes)

My canon and Nikon tubes were flow through and the camera acted like the lens was hooked directly to the camera.

It looks like the solution is to find an old lens that has the mech aperture ring, on the camera??
How do you do extreme macro with a Pentax? Or do we not do extreme macro with Pentax?

thanks for your time and knowledge!!!
smg
09-04-2016, 07:23 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

An A series teleconverter will allow a DA lens to control aperture. Take a cheap one, remove glass, you are all set.

Aperture is mechanical on all but one lens. This means you can't pull power off tricks to freeze aperture.

Reversing a lens into extension tubes and then using an m43 adapter designed for da lenses can give you crude stepless aperture control.

Camera, extension tube, reversing ring, lens, m43 da adapter

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.com/...ocvSsJNDNT0sAA
09-04-2016, 08:03 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to PF.

You'll find a encyclopedia of Pentax info, including articles on macro, here:

Pentax Articles | Pentax K-5 | Pentax K-r | Pentax K-x - PentaxForums.com

09-04-2016, 09:23 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveG Quote
Does the camera go to max aperture, and stay there when the lens is removed, or power
shut off to change lenses.

Yep.

How do you do extreme macro with a Pentax? Or do we not do extreme macro with Pentax?

Of course ... check through the Macro threads. I saw a fantastic one by @Nass the other day.

As you say, a lens with aperture ring suits a simple extension tube, and there are plenty of them. I have a 50mm and 90mm macro lenses.

You could also reverse a non-macro lens with a suitable tube, if that's what you like.
09-04-2016, 10:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

It looks like the solution is to find an old lens that has the mech aperture ring, on the camera?? How do you do extreme macro with a Pentax? Or do we not do extreme macro with Pentax?
Check out Extreme Macro Photography - all done with Pentax
09-06-2016, 11:01 AM   #10
Pentaxian

My canon and Nikon tubes were flow through and the camera acted like the lens was hooked directly to the camera.
It depends on the tubes, not the camera manufacturer.

It looks like the solution is to find an old lens that has the mech aperture ring
That would work, too. Good thing Pentax never changed the flange shape, so yuo can still use lenses from the 70's.