Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My new Lichtriese!

The first of my new manual ca. 50mm lenses just arrived: This PORST 55mm has as largest aperture 1:1.2, hence the title!

One thing I don't quite understand, I can't seem to able to use the aperture ring, I always have 1.2 even if I turn the aperture ring? Any advice is welcome! How can use smaller apertures?

07-23-2008, 02:24 PM   #2

You have to go to your setup, swith to "allow use of aperture ring" and use the M mode.
If you are in aperture priority it will always be at f1.2.
07-23-2008, 02:50 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deudeu Quote
You have to go to your setup, swith to "allow use of aperture ring" and use the M mode.
Hi,
If this is an M-42 lens, you will need to change the slider on the lens (usually near the lens mount) from auto to manual. Also, if M-42, the best way to meter is in A mode.

Steve
07-23-2008, 03:55 PM   #4
Igilligan

This sounds right to me...

QuoteOriginally posted by deudeu Quote
In your menu set to 'allow aperture ring" and then set to M mode, adjust your Ap on the lens and then hit green button (or AE-L on the K100) to set exposure for that Ap...

07-24-2008, 12:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys! "Allow aperture ring", M-mode, and the green button worked just fine! And this is a K-mount, but the advise for the M42 lens is most welcome as I am waiting for my Super Takumar 50mm M42 to arrive soon!

I already gota Yashinon-DX 1:1.4 50mm M42 on my desk waiting only the M42 to K-mount adapter to arrive. I can seen the Auto/Manual slider and see how it works! I guess that pin that changes the aperture apparently in auto mode is useless in my K-mount K10D?

Seeing what I write I here makes me suspect I have got that (un)famous LBA, I'm afraid ... but it is so fun to play with older lenses!

These are all f/1.2 except the last which is f/5.6 if I remember correctly...

Last edited by gawan; 07-24-2008 at 12:41 PM.
07-24-2008, 02:40 PM   #6
Igilligan

Oh I want a F1.2 lens...

Those look pretty good. I would love a F1.2 lens someday. I will also mention that as you use those older lenses in M mode with the green button, some may need a +.3 or +.7 exp bump.. I know some of my old M pentax glass likes a little push.
These look fine though... Razor thin DOF

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
Thanks guys! "Allow aperture ring", M-mode, and the green button worked just fine! And this is a K-mount, but the advise for the M42 lens is most welcome as I am waiting for my Super Takumar 50mm M42 to arrive soon!

I already gota Yashinon-DX 1:1.4 50mm M42 on my desk waiting only the M42 to K-mount adapter to arrive. I can seen the Auto/Manual slider and see how it works! I guess that pin that changes the aperture apparently in auto mode is useless in my K-mount K10D?

Seeing what I write I here makes me suspect I have got that (un)famous LBA, I'm afraid ... but it is so fun to play with older lenses!

These are all f/1.2 except the last which is f/5.6 if I remember correctly...

07-24-2008, 04:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Those look pretty good. I would love a F1.2 lens someday. I will also mention that as you use those older lenses in M mode with the green button, some may need a +.3 or +.7 exp bump.. I know some of my old M pentax glass likes a little push.
These look fine though... Razor thin DOF
Yes, this lens has that "feature" too, but to the other direction. It seems to measure rather well with full aperture, but when stopping down, it get the pictures over exposed with just the green button, strange enough, I have to reduce the light! Have to know this lens closer to use it right.

07-24-2008, 08:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Could you post a pic of your lens? I've always liked the look of fast glass
07-24-2008, 09:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Wow, I have no idea this lens exist, thanks for sharing
07-25-2008, 01:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic Quote
Could you post a pic of your lens? I've always liked the look of fast glass
Having seen many photos, these 55mm f/1.2 seem all the same, like if all these Tomioka/Revuenon/Yashinon/Porst were from the same maker or at least of same design.

Here, sorry for not so slick lighting...

07-25-2008, 02:41 PM   #11
Inactive Account

It looks Tokina-like, very nice! Now you have me thinking of one