Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2008, 10:44 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
The 43mm ltd. is not as expensive as you show. I think it runs from $450 t0 $480 now. I got mine for about $370 after a rebate offer. Fantastic lens!!!

07-24-2008, 11:44 AM   #17
Veteran Member

50/1.4, 35/2 are not expensive... and really helps when you are in low light situation. Of course if you really want to get the Ltd lens :P .. As for wide angle side I don't really mind the small aperture, since I use them usually for landscape.

And you can always buy second hand lens.. see? 390$ for 43Ltd in the marketplace

Last edited by vizjerei; 07-24-2008 at 11:51 AM.
07-24-2008, 12:18 PM   #18

Original Poster
Thanks again

And again lots to think about.

At the moment I'm getting by with the kit lens but I do very often find myself at dusk taking mountain shots and to be honest I think the kit lens struggles a bit. A lens that could cope with such circumstances would be good.

What I don't want to end up with, and it might be a case of resistance is futile, but I don't want a bag full of lenses ! for one thing, the main thing, I can't afford it. Hence getting my next lens right is a must .

So for me the mountains and dusky skies is where I'm at. So perhaps I should look at a prime lens ?

BARCUD
07-24-2008, 12:23 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Classvino Quote
Prices approximate, and at a store - may be cheaper on eBay.

43 f 1.9 $850
No kidding? Currently ~$470 at B&H. But point taken--I could easily have bought those two lenses for less than I have spent on a large number of primes and less-expensive zooms. For me though I usually don't want to carry lenses as large as those two DA* so I end up trying lots of primes and more compact offerings. Perhaps at some point I'll figure out which ones are really my favorites, sell off the rest and buy DA*.

07-24-2008, 12:26 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BARCUD Quote

At the moment I'm getting by with the kit lens but I do very often find myself at dusk taking mountain shots and to be honest I think the kit lens struggles a bit. A lens that could cope with such circumstances would be good.
QuoteOriginally posted by BARCUD Quote

So for me the mountains and dusky skies is where I'm at. So perhaps I should look at a prime lens ?
Perhaps you should consider a tripod. At what focal length are you doing this? The kit isn't so slow at the wide end.
07-24-2008, 01:16 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But if one does consider the DA* 16-50 and DA* 50-135 f/2.8, then the faster primes in a similar focal range are:

14 f/2.8
31 f/1.8
43 f/1.9
50 f/1.4
77 f/1.8

Of course primes may have other beneficial characteristics, like smaller size, lighter weight, sharpness, less distortion and better bokeh.
07-24-2008, 01:25 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
No kidding? Currently ~$470 at B&H. But point taken--I could easily have bought those two lenses for less than I have spent on a large number of primes and less-expensive zooms. For me though I usually don't want to carry lenses as large as those two DA* so I end up trying lots of primes and more compact offerings. Perhaps at some point I'll figure out which ones are really my favorites, sell off the rest and buy DA*.

As I mentioned, it was at a store - should've specified a brick and mortar store in Canada. So while prime prices are lower than up here, I would expect the zoom prices to be correspondingly lower as well at B&H - yup $699 for a DA*16-50, just checked - so while the prices aren't as accurate as they might be, the underlying premise is the same... the DA* zooms are not really that much more (when you think about the focal lengths covered) than the high quality primes, and are a lot more versatile.

470 for a 43, eh? Sounds good... ...checks account balance....

...No, I guess I'll just have to make do with my "lowly" 16-50

07-24-2008, 02:02 PM   #23

Original Poster
Yes a tripod may well help matters. I use a mini tripod with my GX100 and it makes alot of difference at slow speeds and low light.

As for focal lengths I've had a look at my photos and focal lengths are all over the place. Lots of 55's , 35's and 18's.

thanks for all the input guys.

BARCUD
07-24-2008, 02:08 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Maybe the meaning was "for a given focal length there is always a faster prime than zoom available." Though even that is not literally true, since one can get 16mm f/2.8 in a zoom but not a prime.

Ummmm...I just took delivery of my MC Zenitar 16/2.8 yesterday. It looks like a prime, it works like a prime, and it takes pictures like a prime...IT MUST BE A PRIME!

Steve

P.S. $180 new from Russia
07-24-2008, 04:07 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ummmm...I just took delivery of my MC Zenitar 16/2.8 yesterday. It looks like a prime, it works like a prime, and it takes pictures like a prime...IT MUST BE A PRIME!
I was writing about, and the subsequent list included, just Pentax brand currently-available lenses. Someone who is looking for a first lens to augment the kit is unlikely to want a manual-focus manual-aperture fisheye lens.

But I appreciate your enthusiasm.