Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2016, 06:27 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
What would it be?
I'm thinking what lens would be a good choice for me to start building my collection. So far I'm leaning towards 24-70 2.8 as it seems it'll give me a lot of flexibility on hikes and travels, and I can take maybe two-three shots pano if I need a wider shot. What do you think?

Ps: I'm using a K-1 body
In your opening post you mentioned starting to build your collection. First, just in terms of lugging around lenses while you seek out landscape locations . . . you could acquire all three of the FA Limited "amigos" and still have less weight in your bag than if you bought the D FA 24-70. Talk about a kit, you'd have fast prime IQ lenses that, in fact, some consider among the finest primes ever made, plus a small footprint while on your camera. If you are patient, you can pick up the two best, the 31 and 77, for $650 or less each used which is about the price of the DFA 24-70. IOW, if you are going to build a landscape kit, consider starting with the very best, and then adding the convenience of a zoom.

09-08-2016, 06:38 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
In your opening post you mentioned starting to build your collection. First, just in terms of lugging around lenses while you seek out landscape locations . . . you could acquire all three of the FA Limited "amigos" and still have less weight in your bag than if you bought the D FA 24-70. Talk about a kit, you'd have fast prime IQ lenses that, in fact, some consider among the finest primes ever made, plus a small footprint while on your camera. If you are patient, you can pick up the two best, the 31 and 77, for $650 or less each used which is about the price of the DFA 24-70. IOW, if you are going to build a landscape kit, consider starting with the very best, and then adding the convenience of a zoom.
I see what you're saying, and I appreciate your opinion for sure. I'm pretty new to this system, and that's why I'm trying to soak in as much as I can info wise. One thing I might add is - with my previous system I ended up going all primes approach too, and during some of the travels it felt awkward to switch lenses on the go. I have a fast prime to play with for now (the 50 1.8), I got few legacy lenses (3 of them are f2), so I wanted to add a fast modern zoom to my collection. Anyway, I see everyone's points and I'll think what to do next)
09-08-2016, 07:02 PM   #48
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

So often people end up apologizing on the forum , because they get good results with lenses people claim are not good. I guess the newbs just don't understand that the forum folks who get great images with the glass they consider to be insufficient, every image posted taken with that lens calls them out.

Calling claiming the gear someone else gets good results with bad is just stupid. It amazes me people do it.
09-08-2016, 07:57 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
. . . I wanted to add a fast modern zoom to my collection.
Sorry, I didn't understand that.

09-08-2016, 08:57 PM   #50
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
Sorry, I didn't understand that.
No need to apologize, I'm looking at other people's suggestions either way, and I realize I didn't really specify in the original post. I'm still few months off from actually buying one, so just looking around, listening to what people think

Last edited by awscreo; 09-08-2016 at 09:21 PM.
09-08-2016, 09:37 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SMC Pentax-F 50mm F2.8 Macro very very sharp, amazing colour. You can shoot macro while you are hiking. It doesn't require a hood. lastly ..F32
09-08-2016, 09:51 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
SMC Pentax-F 50mm F2.8 Macro very very sharp, amazing colour. You can shoot macro while you are hiking. It doesn't require a hood. lastly ..F32
Oh wow, never had a lens that can be stopped down so much but, I own 3 50-58mm lenses now. I'll have a look at the 50 macro, sounds cool.
09-09-2016, 11:36 AM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
I would like to see a landscape photo with the 50mm macro at f32. It would be very unsharp, fuzzy even. Don't know if even PP could fix so much diffraction

09-09-2016, 02:19 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I would like to see a landscape photo with the 50mm macro at f32. It would be very unsharp, fuzzy even. Don't know if even PP could fix so much diffraction
Most people don't shoot at f32 but it just means the sweetspot goes up to 16-22ish instead of up to 11-16ish on a f22 lens

Last edited by Sliver-Surfer; 09-09-2016 at 02:54 PM.
09-11-2016, 05:25 AM   #55
Pentaxian

On my APSC, the 2 lenses I use the most for this are DA15 and FA77 and if I am to look at the pictures I am the most likely to print, they almost all come from FA77. That may change as I recently acquired FA31 to replace DA35 macro, but we will see. On an FF body, I guess available new the nearest to FA77 would be DFA100 macro.

I say that on purpose, because most think landscape equals wide angle and I was part of them, too. But a landscape isn't about putting as much in the frame as possible. As any other type of photography, this about compositions, colors, textures, subjects. Many landscape suffer from being to wide and as a consequence the subject can be lost or innexistant. There also the point to know if you want perspective compression or distorsion in you picture. That a creative decision.

More or less do you want:

DA15 (22mm on FF)

DA15 (22mm on FF)

or
DA35 f/2.4 (55mm on FF)

And maybe,
FA77 (115mm on FF)

FA77 (115mm on FF)

(I used a rather famous building for this comparison as I have shoot it with many lenses and also because the difference may be more visible too).

A 24-70 is sure a nice choice, I would find a big short at time honestly but on FF you should be able to crop that 70mm so that good. but you'll pay high money for it and get heavy stuff.

The problem of 28-105 is you get much more reach and also lighter/cheaper zoom but at time you may want larger than 28mm. Not that often honestly but this will happen. But maybe I'll prefer 28-105 + a used 20mm prime that will give you even wider shoots when really needed than a 24-70. You have time to switch lenses as landscape are not moving that fast.

Likely myself I'd do FA20, FA31, FA77 and F135.

But this is finally quite personal. There no absolute. This is all in the eye of the photographer. This is maybe the most important thing to understand. And you, me, the next guys may have different preferences, see different things...
09-11-2016, 05:42 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
There inherent diffraction. That's something. But there also the lens optical design. If you see so terrible shots at f/22 and f/16 on APSC this is because of both diffraction and a lens not designed for such small appertures. But macro lenses typically are designed for it. Also the sensor size does count...

This is a Canon 100mm macro lens on FF by photozone:

This is DA70 f/2 on K5:

As you can see, the Canon 100 macro at f/22 is very comparable the DA70 at f8 and I don't see many people complaining of their DA70 being soft at f/8

I would expect the DFA50 macro to have similar characteristics because as a macro it is optimized differently than most lenses but unfortunaly I didn't find FF review of it.

2400/2700 score is among the best a K5 can handle and you could print that to quite huge size no issue. It might be better to have the subject fully in focus than to have a very small part very sharp and all the rest very soft due to lack of dof.

Even for landscapes, at 50mm on FF, you may have difficultives to have a subject near the camera and the background, all in the focal plane.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 09-11-2016 at 05:48 AM.