Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-07-2016, 07:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you were to take one lens to shoot landscapes...

What would it be?
I'm thinking what lens would be a good choice for me to start building my collection. So far I'm leaning towards 24-70 2.8 as it seems it'll give me a lot of flexibility on hikes and travels, and I can take maybe two-three shots pano if I need a wider shot. What do you think?

Ps: I'm using a K-1 body

Last edited by awscreo; 09-07-2016 at 08:26 AM.
09-07-2016, 07:58 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That lens (on the K-1) is a close match for the fields of view I most often use for landscapes (wide to short tele), so it sounds like an excellent choice to me. Some prefer something wider. As you say, you can always stitch when needed.
09-07-2016, 08:02 AM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

one lens - sounds like a job for the DA18-135mm...
09-07-2016, 08:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

For Pentax landscape it would be Leitax (or native) converted 35/2 Zeiss Distagon. I would complement it with 21mm Distagon and 50/1.4 planar. For UWA, 15mm Irix.

09-07-2016, 08:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
one lens - sounds like a job for the DA18-135mm...
Does it support FF image circle?

---------- Post added 09-07-16 at 08:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
For Pentax landscape it would be Leitax (or native) converted 35/2 Zeiss Distagon. I would complement it with 21mm Distagon and 50/1.4 planar. For UWA, 15mm Irix.
Sounds like a pretty expensive (albeit awesome) combo) plus all manual right?
09-07-2016, 08:15 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
...I'm leaning towards 24-70 2.8 as it seems it'll give me a lot of flexibility on hikes and travels...
Consider the 28-105 because it's less weight to carry around. Most landscapes are stopped down anyway, making the f2.8 less essential. You'll unfortunately lose 4mm at the wide end.
09-07-2016, 08:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Consider the 28-105 because it's less weight to carry around. Most landscapes are stopped down anyway, making the f2.8 less essential. You'll unfortunately lose 4mm at the wide end.
I am considering it as well. Seems like a very nicely priced and capable lens. But I'm not sure if maybe a 2.8 zoom would be nice to take as a single lens setup if I'm travelling, so I can take a portrait of my wife if I wanted. Although maybe I can use a separate prime for that (although it seems most of portraits primes for k mount are pretty pricey, wish we had a nice affordable 85 1.8).

09-07-2016, 08:22 AM   #8
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Does it support FF image circle?
no idea - it is a DA lens, so not officially a FF lens...

but that wasn't in your question (FF vs APS-C):

What would it be?
I'm thinking what lens would be a good choice for me to start building my collection. So far I'm leaning towards 24-70 2.8 as it seems it'll give me a lot of flexibility on hikes and travels, and I can take maybe two-three shots pano if I need a wider shot. What do you think?
09-07-2016, 08:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
no idea - it is a DA lens, so not officially a FF lens...

but that wasn't in your question (FF vs APS-C):
Failed to mention that, thought my signature would be enough to see what body I'm using.
09-07-2016, 08:28 AM   #10
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

agreed - if signatures were shown on my screen.... good luck in your search!
09-07-2016, 08:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
agreed - if signatures were shown on my screen.... good luck in your search!
Updated the post) thanks for the tip, I just noticed sigs don't show in the mobile version of the forum.
09-07-2016, 08:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

The DFA 24-70mm seems like a great lens, but it is not really very wide by modern standards. Something like DFA 15-30mm might be better suited for ultra wide and it would still give you a comfortable zoom range.
That said, I prefer primes. If budget was no issue, I would look into Zeiss ZK in the range between 20mm to 28mm. Never had a western, modern Zeiss lens, but they seem to be pretty good Since budget usually is an issue, I would look into Samyang 14mm (have it, love it, FF lens, but I use it on APSC) or Samyang 24mm. Or better yet, wait for the new Samyang 20mm to be released.
Unfortunately, Pentax is currently missing Wide angle primes. The widest you can find is the superb FA 31mm ltd, and it may be wide enough for many things. I would prefer to go with 28mm (like F 28mm f2.8) or wider, because I usually shoot wide angle.
Just my tips, subjective as they might be. You can check my gallery (sig) to see which primes I use for what kind of photos, but even though all my primes are FF, I use APSC camera
09-07-2016, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
The DFA 24-70mm seems like a great lens, but it is not really very wide by modern standards. Something like DFA 15-30mm might be better suited for ultra wide and it would still give you a comfortable zoom range.
That said, I prefer primes. If budget was no issue, I would look into Zeiss ZK in the range between 20mm to 28mm. Never had a western, modern Zeiss lens, but they seem to be pretty good Since budget usually is an issue, I would look into Samyang 14mm (have it, love it, FF lens, but I use it on APSC) or Samyang 24mm. Or better yet, wait for the new Samyang 20mm to be released.
Unfortunately, Pentax is currently missing Wide angle primes. The widest you can find is the superb FA 31mm ltd, and it may be wide enough for many things. I would prefer to go with 28mm (like F 28mm f2.8) or wider, because I usually shoot wide angle.
Just my tips, subjective as they might be. You can check my gallery (sig) to see which primes I use for what kind of photos, but even though all my primes are FF, I use APSC camera
Thanks for suggestions! I also prefer primes, in fact this is the first time I consider getting a zoom. Samyang was a natural first choice as well. The reason I was looking at the 2.8 zoom is a) never owned a fast pro zoom b) thought it might be a good one lens setup for most things c) all of my wide lenses before were MF, and I'm leaning towards having more AF gear at this point (already have 5 legacy manual primes).

Before I was doing just fine switching primes on the go, plus weight was never an issue with my previous system (MFT), not sure how I'll feel carrying around 4 pounds of glass and metal on me all the time lol.
09-07-2016, 09:20 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think the 24-70 sounds like a winner. With my K3 I liked my Tamron 17-50 as my landscape lens for years. For full frame, you'll find the 24-70 is about the same.

Stitching for wider shots is good unless you or often finding yourself wanting to shoot wider; then it's a drag. These days I like using the 21 mm and 31 mm for landscapes. On a full frame, I'd probably try to use the 31 mm as much as possible. I try with my K-3 although it's a bit tough for wider landscapes. I can't recall if the 20-40 mm that's out is FF compatible, but that could be a good landscape lens with the caveat that you lose almost any telephoto capability.
09-07-2016, 09:30 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for suggestions! I also prefer primes, in fact this is the first time I consider getting a zoom. Samyang was a natural first choice as well. The reason I was looking at the 2.8 zoom is a) never owned a fast pro zoom b) thought it might be a good one lens setup for most things c) all of my wide lenses before were MF, and I'm leaning towards having more AF gear at this point (already have 5 legacy manual primes).

Before I was doing just fine switching primes on the go, plus weight was never an issue with my previous system (MFT), not sure how I'll feel carrying around 4 pounds of glass and metal on me all the time lol.
RE primes, I'm curious why more people didn't recommend the FA 31 LTD. Photographers shoot landscape with all sorts of focal lengths, not just ultra wide (which often also means plenty of distortion). The FA 31 is wide angle, virtually free of distortion, low CA, pretty fast at f1.8 (by f/2.8 resolution is high and vignetting is tamed), beautifully built, and at 345g is about as portable as a great lens gets. Also, sub-24mm primes are on the way (Samyang 20 and Irix 15 for sure, Pentax almost certainly). Me, I'm hoping for a compact Limited-quality 24mm from Pentax.