Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2008, 03:05 AM   #1
Inactive Account

sigma 28-105mm

does anybody have used this lense? kindly request to post their pics wit this lense here becoz there is a promotion where this lense now is only at $60+ ( standard prize = $ 130) .. they said ( salesman ) it good for telephoto n also for wide.. i also looking for the lense which is perfect for potrait n indoor photography, any suggestion? sorry 4 my bad english, ---> im a newbie in pentax DSLR world

07-23-2008, 09:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by iwhizz Quote
does anybody have used this lense? kindly request to post their pics wit this lense here becoz there is a promotion where this lense now is only at $60+ ( standard prize = $ 130) .. they said ( salesman ) it good for telephoto n also for wide.. i also looking for the lense which is perfect for potrait n indoor photography, any suggestion? sorry 4 my bad english, ---> im a newbie in pentax DSLR world
Your English is fine. You're doing better than many who grew up in the UK or USA. :-)

The lens you're asking about is one that, I think, came out three or four years ago. Here is one review with some user comments:

Sigma 28-105mm f/2.8-4.0 Aspherical Reviews

And here's the Amazon.com page for the lens.

Amazon.com: Sigma 28-105mm f/2.8-4 Aspherical Lens for Canon SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

Not available through Amazon any more but the user reviews are there and generally quite positive.

Looks like it's available now around $130 in the USA. A new lens with roughly the same range is about to be released, but it will be much more expensive (and if I recall the press release I saw about the new lens, the new lens is not going to have the f/2.8 max aperture at the wide end).

Looks like not a bad lens and perhaps worth risking $60 on if you're really looking for a bargain. But I don't own the lens and can't comment on it from personal experience.

If you're looking for a zoom with something similar to this range, the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 is very well regarded. The Tamron is not outrageously expensive, but it will cost you several hundred dollars more than the old Sigma lens.

Will
07-24-2008, 01:11 AM   #3

I used to have this lens in canon mount with my eos 1-n. All I can say is this is a good lens for the price.You wont be dissapointed.
07-24-2008, 01:18 AM   #4
Syb
Veteran Member

I used it quite often on my MZ-5N and later on my Ist*ds. With good to very good results. It sounds like a good buy.

07-24-2008, 01:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
i also looking for the lense which is perfect for potrait n indoor photography, any suggestion? sorry 4 my bad english,
First off mate your English is just fine and welcome to this wonderful forum.

I am not sure here if you mean that you are looking for another lens other than the one you mentioned or not.

If so then I dont think you can go past the Pentax FA 50 f/1.4 for low light indoor and value

There are many posts and a few threads on this lens and I suggest you read up on this and see for yourself

Good luck with your purchases.

Neil
07-24-2008, 06:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

This lens was known to be very soft from 70 to 105mm, it was best from 35 to 50mm and just ok at 28mm. I had one and gave it away in favour of a canon 28-105 which was much better.
07-24-2008, 10:10 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote

I am not sure here if you mean that you are looking for another lens other than the one you mentioned or not.

If so then I dont think you can go past the Pentax FA 50 f/1.4 for low light indoor and value
:
thanks for all for the replies..

yeah actually im looking for another lense other than sigma 28-105mm, because of the limited budget, im looking for the best one for potrait n indoor photography.n also today i just bought pentax DA 16-45mm f4 n i really like it ..

07-24-2008, 04:48 PM   #8
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iwhizz Quote
Back in May I posted some pics taken with this lens:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/27853-scarborough-faire-renfest-today.html

and

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/27937-few-more-renfest.html
07-25-2008, 01:15 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
wow!! nice pics man..thanx for the post