Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2016, 09:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Meyer Optik Primoplan 58mm f/1.9 on Kickstarter

Meyer Optik launched their 4th Kickstarter campaign to revive another lens. They are bringing back the Primoplan 58mm f/1.9. It will be available in K-mount.

Try this link :

Bring back the Fabulous Wonder Bokeh Lens: Primoplan 58 f1.9 by Meyer Optik USA ? Kickstarter

I am not affiliated with them. Otherwise, simply search for Primoplan 58 on Kickstarter.

09-09-2016, 09:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Their fourth?? I missed a couple of those!
Looks cool, hopefully it turns out well. They already got more than double their goal
09-09-2016, 10:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I missed their 100mm f/2.8 but got on board with the 50mm f/2.9. Let's see how the 59mm f/1.9 goes. I hope it is successful. Every new K-mount lens, whether all manual or full auto, is a positive step forward for the ecosystem.

Also to note is they offer their lenses in M42 which our K-mount bodies can readily accept.
09-09-2016, 11:19 AM   #4
Pentaxian

As nice as it is to have the K mount available, I have to admit that if I were going to go for this one, I would opt for M42. The lens doesn't have any mechanical transmission to the camera anyway, and I shoot M42 Pentax bodies as much as I do K-mount film or digital. The Daguerre lens (hopefully arriving soon) was the exception - because of the drop-in nature of the aperture plates it's important that it have an absolute and consistent vertical, and K mount is clearly superior in that regard (yes, the SMC Taks had a protuberant lug for a "hard stop" in order to match up the aperture reporting arms of lens and camera, but that is not a universal feature of the M42 mount).

09-09-2016, 11:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I agree that as a film shooter the M42 mount would be more advantageous. You can use it with older film bodies like Zenits and our own Spotmatics while still being able to readily adapt to digital bodies. Otherwise, if you don't have any M42 bodies, then a K-mount is hard to beat. The convenience alone is worth it and the K-mount is also readily adaptable to mirrorless bodies.

You can't go wrong either way.
09-09-2016, 12:12 PM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Much as I would love to own this lens - and I really would, no doubt about it - I'd find it almost impossible to justify it when there's so much great old glass out there for very little money, including a number of nice Meyer Optik lenses. That said, when people take delivery of it and we start reading reports of how great it is, I'll probably wish I'd jumped on the band-wagon

Last edited by BigMackCam; 09-09-2016 at 02:05 PM.
09-09-2016, 02:05 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I won't tirade like some folks on the other forum about lo-fi lenses, but I guess I can't get terribly excited about another 50mm (or close to...)

I guess I'd be more interested in an 80mm or so... that 100 they did was interesting but too expensive for what I'm after.

Still, it makes me smile to see people making wacky, unusual stuff...

-Eric

09-09-2016, 02:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's another point. There is a constant complaint about the lack of K-mount lenses. Focal lengths are missing. Current lenses are too slow. Blah, blah, blah, and blah. Well, Meyer just added another entry to the ecosystem. That's one less complaint to be had.
09-09-2016, 05:18 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Otherwise, if you don't have any M42 bodies, then a K-mount is hard to beat.
Absolutely, and if I weren't shooting M42 bodies like crazy I would be lauding the K-mount version to high heaven. I think it's great that these things are starting to be offered in K-mount almost as a routine - I think getting it as an option on the Daguerre lens was a HUGE win for Pentax, and possibly one that opened the floodgates. Credit goes as much or more to the people who pushed for it to be a potential option as those (including me) who ponied up the necessary money (in lens-copy terms) that they actually made it for us.

I only hope there are enough of us out there who want these lenses and can justify buying them that it keeps on being offered. Me? I have so many 50 and 55 millimetre lenses already (including a well known clickless Soviet Tessar clone that resembles this a lot) that I simply can't justify another fifty-ish right now.
09-09-2016, 10:42 PM   #10
a5m
Veteran Member

Any possibility of the K mount version having the 'A' setting for automatic aperture?
09-10-2016, 12:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ask them. They are very responsive to direct messages.
09-10-2016, 09:23 AM   #12
a5m
Veteran Member

I took your suggestion and asked them. They responded saying "I am afraid not, it is fully manual."
09-10-2016, 11:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well ... at least they responded. I was kind of figuring this lens would be best when used in LiveView mode.
09-11-2016, 11:17 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by a5m Quote
I took your suggestion and asked them. They responded saying "I am afraid not, it is fully manual."
Well to be fair to the makers, wasn't the original from back in the day when lenses didn't even stop their apertures down automatically? If you're buying a reproduction lens from the pre-Super-Takumar era, asking for aperture A contacts might be seen as stretching the friendship more than a little!
09-11-2016, 11:19 AM   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
If you're buying a reproduction lens from the pre-Super-Takumar era, asking for aperture A contacts might be seen as stretching the friendship more than a little!
Probably best not to request in-lens stabilisation, then?